Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spirit guides/ power animals/ totem/ familiars

Oct 2012
    Religion
    eclectic, solitary practitioner

spirit guides/ power animals/ totem/ familiars

just wanted to know anyone's thoughts on differentiation between the terms, how you define them, how they affect you, how you learn of them, etc.

I look at it like this: spirit guides are one's guide down whatever section of the path one is on. some guides stay for a short time some lifetime. I've currently a crow acting as my main guide.
    i see power animals as a driving force, a spirit which will make up for your weaknesses with its strengths and help build those spiritual "muscles" until you no longer need them.
    i see the totem as one's own person. what one is down deep through all the layers.
    and i see familiars as.. well the typical thing, assistants, companions, guardians on occasion, channels for power to the astral realms.

anyway, point being, what do you all think of these things?

Oct 2012
    Religion
    pragmatic monism
    Phrase
    "Everything not forbidden is compulsory" - TH White

Re: spirit guides/ power animals/ totem/ familiars

I have not thought on these things overly, and certainly not shared much about them with others. It seems somewhat personal to me. I will share that what I perceived as my totem changed of late, and what you have posted makes me wonder about this. I have undergone personal transformation, but what you have written makes it sound as though the totem would be a lifetime partner. Am I understanding what you written correctly?

Oct 2012
    Religion

yes, thus me having mine tattooed on me.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Spirit guides I think are beings on the astral realm (animals) who interact with you. That being said, I don't think I actually believe IN spirit guides. I've never heard of a power animal before, and a totem to me suggests something animistic, like in native american art.

Familiars, well...that's a witches way of saying she has a pet
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2012
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Spirit guides I think are beings on the astral realm (animals) who interact with you. That being said, I don't think I actually believe IN spirit guides. I've never heard of a power animal before, and a totem to me suggests something animistic, like in native american art.

Familiars, well...that's a witches way of saying she has a pet

haha i guess that's one way of looking at it. you don't feel like even something as simple as a household pet can hold very strong spiritual energies for you?
    and why, if it's not too prying, don't you believe in spirit guides?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

In my vocabulary, it goes like this..

Spirit Guide: Any spirit, animal or otherwise, lifelong or short term, that in someway guides and assists me.

Spirit Animal/Totem Animal: Both the same thing. Some folks prefer not to borrow terms from other world faiths and spiritualities if they can avoid them, so prefer Power Animal as it is less frequently associated with Native American spirituality. It's kind of mascot in a way. A spirit who's energy you identify with. A specific spirit animal representing your totem, might become your spirit guide, or you may simply identify with the collective spirit of the species.

Familiar. Like V said, it's a pet. We can have (or believe we have) a spiritual relationship with our pets, but generally, a familiar is a living, breathing creature!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2012
    Religion

so do you feel like one can have multiple spirit guides at once, a bit like having different teachers for different subject?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

When I was younger, I had four human guides, owl, cat and magpie. Now I still have my main human guide and magpie. If the others are still around, I am not aware of them. I also work with an egregore spirit and.suspect that my partner's dad, who died a year before we met, may have had his hand in our 'chance meeting'. So yeah, they can come and go and some seem to stay forever.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Mar 2012
    Religion
    Christian/Pagan views

I just had this discussion with my cousin. I view a spirit guides as a more permenant fixture. Guardian angels so to speak. Spirit animals and totems I view one in the same. I think a totem can be a spirit guide but not all spirit guides are totems. Totems are spirits you can call upon to help with magic or to learn from. They can also come to you to teach you what you need to know at the time. Familiars I think are animals or spirits that we keep around us not so much to use magic but to identify or amplify or attract it.

Oct 2012
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    When I was younger, I had four human guides, owl, cat and magpie. Now I still have my main human guide and magpie. If the others are still around, I am not aware of them. I also work with an egregore spirit and.suspect that my partner's dad, who died a year before we met, may have had his hand in our 'chance meeting'. So yeah, they can come and go and some seem to stay forever.
    so do you suppose that any spirit can be a guide, or does it take a specific sort?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djnn View Post
    I just had this discussion with my cousin. I view a spirit guides as a more permenant fixture. Guardian angels so to speak. Spirit animals and totems I view one in the same. I think a totem can be a spirit guide but not all spirit guides are totems. Totems are spirits you can call upon to help with magic or to learn from. They can also come to you to teach you what you need to know at the time. Familiars I think are animals or spirits that we keep around us not so much to use magic but to identify or amplify or attract it.
    do you keep a familiar for your magic? and I'm not sure if I fully understand your differentiation between spirit guides and totems, could you expound?