Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spirit guides/ power animals/ totem/ familiars

Mar 2012
    Religion
    Christian/Pagan views

Re: spirit guides/ power animals/ totem/ familiars

I feel that totems are spirits you can call on that can aid you with magic or self growth. Each totem having different scopes of practice in which they can aid you with. Fox's can help with hiding and blending your aura, and spiders can help with writing or drawing etc... for example.

I also feel that these totems can attach to you and stay with you much like a guardian angel. When this happens they are your spirit guides. You can still access them as totems, but they are also your guardian spirits. Also I feel some guardian spirits may not be totems at all. I had a friend that had a guide that he explained as a tall faceless man in a suite, with a mirror as a mask. He couldn't call on it like one can a totem. But I can still call on my guides guidance, or as totems. (I have a fox and hawk)

While I have a fox and hawk with me, that doesn't limit what totems I can work with or what ones come in and out of my life. Just the other day blue jays were all over my backyard, and they had a lesson to teach. But after the lesson was spoke to me, they were gone and I haven't seen them in the backyard since.

May 2012
    Religion
    Universalist Pagan, Jungian, Alchemist, Martial Artist
    Phrase
    Oh, to sail the sea of worlds, to die and again be reborn

I like to say I have a couple different totems (depending on who you are talking too ^__^)

As for spirit guides I had one guide (who took the form of a buck but really wasnt) who was not all too thrilled about "being assigned to me" granted I was in my late teens and durring that time...well I dont blame him. He was always siging when he spoke to me as if he were chronically depressed. He said to me once (quite sarcastically) "Everyone's got one, I'm stuck with you..." o.0 wtf?

he remined me of Clarance from "Its a Wonderful Life" except he was a clinicly depressed little snot...

Yeah welcome to my world...

Recently I've had an old pagan wizard-like guy as my spirit guide. But spirit guides dont really help me (unless I speciffically ask them) because I'm the quitisential Aries and I dont do anything unless its MY idea. :P

Dec 2012
    Religion
    New Age Pantheist
    Phrase
    In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.

Spirit guide discussion is an interesting one. I joined this site for the very cause of finding out some stuff about what I think is an animal spirit guide. I'm pretty sure I have an owl spirit guide. I spoke to three people knowledged in this and they all said it was my animal spirit guide. I've always had an affinity for Athena since I was a small girl. Her animals is the owl and a sign of the wise. Though I have always been a fan of Athena it never really attracted me to owls in particular. I thought they were neat birds but never felt a connection or anything with the owl outside of Athena.

When I turned 18 I got a tattoo of Athena holding her owl. Ever since it seems I attract owls like crazy. Sometimes I see them but most the time I just hear them but can never find them. Since this summer I have been hearing an owl non-stop but can never find it. Others can hear it as well but it seems I'm more sensitive to it and can spot the noise quicker than others. The weirdest part is I moved from one side of the country to the other. Two opposite sides, three time zones away, two very different climates and even here I hear that exact same owl. I'm curious to find out what I'm being told!

As for anything outside of animals, the only guide I have is Athena. She has always been my one and only. if I have more, I have not spotted them.

Spirit guides are a very interesting topic with much mystery!

Dec 2012
    Religion
    Pantheist Animist
    Phrase
    Whatever you imagine can come true.

Would Dragons work in the place of spirit guides? Reason being... Best way to describe my relationship to them. As far as animal Totems go... Ich weiss nicht. I know that Eagles, hawks, and songbirds seem attracted to me, and I have an affinity for the Thunderbird totem. Corvids hang around my family.
    Any link or advice on how to best strengthen interaction with them?

Dec 2012
    Religion
    New Age Pantheist
    Phrase
    In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawtan View Post
    Would Dragons work in the place of spirit guides? Reason being... Best way to describe my relationship to them. As far as animal Totems go... Ich weiss nicht. I know that Eagles, hawks, and songbirds seem attracted to me, and I have an affinity for the Thunderbird totem. Corvids hang around my family.
    Any link or advice on how to best strengthen interaction with them?
    Dragons are indeed spirit guides! read this here, it discusses European and Chinese dragons. This article explains in detail what the dragon spirit is and how to connect with them. You are lucky, I love dragons. Having one as a spirit guide would be awesome.

Nov 2012
    Religion
    Pantheism

I'm one of those people who tries not to use the terminology or vocabulary of paths I don't know anything about, because I don't want to disrespect or misrepresent anything.

I feel like I don't understand the dif between totem animals, power animals, spirit animals.

I think I understand what is meant by "familiar", but for all my very close relationships with many animals, I don't feel l've had one.

I've never experienced my spirit guide as an animal. I feel like any spirit can be a guide if we choose to follow it.

I have had some remarkable relationships with animals, or certain types of animals. I can hear rabbits talk. May as well just lay that out there, but I've not experienced them as being mystically spiritual. They come in all sorts of "personalities" if you will. On the other hand, they are masters of telekinesis, but they tend to use it in practical ways.

I do learn things by observing animals with an open mind, soul and heart, but I don't really feel drawn to a certain species etc, in that way.

I am wondering what my issue is with bears. I am both fascinated and terrified.

Jan 2013
    Religion
    Eclectic Druid

i don't feel like my spirit guides have been individual animals, but more like a spirit of the species itself. black bears have been my guide my whole life, others come and go. currently the stag spirit has been showing up often and the past couple years i've had many encounters with the cardinal.

Dec 2012
    Religion
    Pantheist Animist
    Phrase
    Whatever you imagine can come true.

How do the rabbits talk? (As in what do they say/how do they say it). My curiosity is peaked.

Jan 2013
    Religion
    Eclectic Druid

i'm pretty curious too. my spirit animals usually don't talk to me. they're just everywhere in my life suddenly and come to me in dreams, but even in the dreams they're usually silent. i get feelings from them and sometimes they want to show me something.

Jan 2013
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

I feel my Spirit Guide Is also my Familiar and my Totem. The Wolf. I feel a VERY strong connection to wolves, and I do believe that I harness some wolf like traits. I do believe that every animal has a lesson to teach us. But they wait for the right time.