Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Close link between creativity and mental illness

  1. #1
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,294
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Close link between creativity and mental illness

    According to this article from Medical News Today, a pretty extensive bit of Swedish research has demonstrated a clear link betweeen certain types of creativity, and certain types of mental illness.

    We all knew it was true...

    And it explains so much...

    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  2. #2
    Live and learn anunitu's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,988
    Religion
    stregheria

    Re: Close link between creativity and mental illness

    This I cannot deny,I am considered VERY intelligent by most people I know,but that carry's with it a certain amount of serious crazy as well. I am by no means a standard person that follows all the rules of society. I do cross lines most would find frightening and for most they should stay within the lines,there be Dragons in those waters,and if you are not prepared to do battle with your own demons and dragons,it is best to be a good little dog,and follow all the rules. Not to sound like I think of myself as "All that" I am just one of those that can see why and how the rules were made. It is a thin line between Genius and madness,and I have had my share of the madness from time to time. I have learned how to stay sane by learning how to understand the "Real" substance of reality. What we believe is true does not always mean we know what is true in actual fact. Reality is not for the faint of heart..as I think you well know Corbin..You impress me as one that has crossed a few lines yourself.

    - - - Updated - - -
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

    all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.




    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

    my new page here,let me know what you think.


    nothing but the shadow of what was

  3. #3
    Nihilistic Goddess Medusa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10,247
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

    Re: Close link between creativity and mental illness

    When I was in the midst of my bi polar, I was a prolific writer of poetry.
    Now that I am 'well'...I cant write nor find the need to write a damn thing.

    And I'm sorta ok with that. The writing process for me was painful. Though, at the time the words just came to me quite easily.
    Satan is my spirit animal

  4. #4
    Eldritch Priestess Willow's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,120
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Staroverci

    Re: Close link between creativity and mental illness

    Makes sense. Some people say I have a freakishly intelligent mind, but then I can't really communicate it very well in most scenarios (especially via speech). I've just chalked it up to me being crazy and everyone who thinks I'm smart as being crazy as well.

    But I'll be reading through this article a bit later, when I get my daily errands done. Thanks for linking!

  5. #5
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,294
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: Close link between creativity and mental illness

    LOL - yup, Anunitu, I've stretched the boundaries so many times, and so far that they seem to have lost their elasticity...


    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    When I was in the midst of my bi polar, I was a prolific writer of poetry.
    Now that I am 'well'...I cant write nor find the need to write a damn thing.

    And I'm sorta ok with that. The writing process for me was painful. Though, at the time the words just came to me quite easily.
    A similar thing for me, also, Medusa. I only had one really hard manic episode (years ago, right before I started coming here), but the creativity was astounding. In a month I did more creative work than is usually possible for me to do in a year.

    But I never want to go through that again, because it IS painful, even though it seems like one is living in magic time.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  6. #6
    Sr. Member Trinity's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    118
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Location
    Missouri

    Re: Close link between creativity and mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by Ljubezen View Post
    Makes sense. Some people say I have a freakishly intelligent mind, but then I can't really communicate it very well in most scenarios (especially via speech). I've just chalked it up to me being crazy and everyone who thinks I'm smart as being crazy as well.

    But I'll be reading through this article a bit later, when I get my daily errands done. Thanks for linking!
    This sounds like me. I can't communicate worth a darn. I will have these real deep-thought moments with myself mentally, and I sound like a flipping genius. When I try to take those deep thoughts from mental to verbal, something just doesn't work. That's probably why it's so hard to keep a journal for me. What I think about writing sounds perfect, very profound. But when writing it, it sounds...well, dumb. I wish there was a way to directly take my thoughts and project them onto paper or into a computer. Not have to go through the speaking or writing part.

  7. #7
    Eldritch Priestess Willow's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,120
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Staroverci

    Re: Close link between creativity and mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    This sounds like me. I can't communicate worth a darn. I will have these real deep-thought moments with myself mentally, and I sound like a flipping genius. When I try to take those deep thoughts from mental to verbal, something just doesn't work. That's probably why it's so hard to keep a journal for me. What I think about writing sounds perfect, very profound. But when writing it, it sounds...well, dumb. I wish there was a way to directly take my thoughts and project them onto paper or into a computer. Not have to go through the speaking or writing part.

    Haha, ditto! Exactly. I wish I was a genius in technology so I could create that mental projection machine...

Similar Threads

  1. Mental Illness and Miasma
    By eightofcups in forum Greek & Roman Traditions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17 Aug 2015, 12:02
  2. Who are the Gods you are especially close to
    By Capricorny in forum Religion and Spirituality Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28 Jul 2015, 14:51
  3. Was i close to astral projection?
    By InTheClarity in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16 Jun 2015, 08:22
  4. How close are your (spirit, Færie) Guides?
    By Spiritfay in forum Pagan Traditions & Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09 Nov 2013, 11:45
  5. Questions regarding mental illness
    By Pinky1491 in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10 May 2013, 05:24

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •