Could sage smudging aggravate asthma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could sage smudging aggravate asthma?

I wasn't sure where else to post this, so if it needs to be moved I won't argue.

If there are any asthmatics around, could you tell me if sage smudging aggravates your asthma at all? I'm due to do a house cleansing, and my husband has asthma, so I'd like to know anyone else's experiences before I go ahead with it. I've asked my husband, he doesn't know.

Re: Could sage smudging aggravate asthma?

It can do.... but so can many other things. Test a small area first - or make sure you ventilate the rooms well. Or alternatively could your husband go out for an hour or so?
    There are other methods of cleansing using bells, candles, blessed water etc that don't involve smoke, so don't despair!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Absolutely. I had asthma as a kid (and occasionally now, thanks to Berlin's refusal to ban smoking in public places), and any smoke will set it off. Wood smoke from fires, cigarettes, incense...pretty much anything that burns.

I had started when I first began practicing, but I found I couldn't handle it. What I do now is I put sage or rosemary oil in a diffuser, which steams and doesn't smoke

Comment

Well my alternative methods include the salt-water sprinkling and light-work. I may save the sage for the outdoor stuff instead.

As an aside, does incense bother you at all DanieMarie?

Comment

Yes it does.

Comment

Good to know.

Comment

Sage doesn't normally bother me (asthma-wise), unless its excessive...though it can give me a headache. Some incense and smudging smells trigger an asthma attack, but not all of them. Tobacco, interestingly, is one that does not...but amber is a killer. My preference for smudging is sweetgrass and lavender.

I would recommend either using an alternative to smudging or doing a test run with a small amount in a well ventilated place, depending on his and your comdort level and history. If he's like Dianie and allergic to the world , I wouldn't risk it...but if he's like me, where its hit or miss, well...I'd test it out because I'd want to know if that was smething I could be around or not (for me, usually something that causes a reaction in smuge form, will also cause a reactuion in other forms).
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Well I lit it outside with the fire pit to see if he could handle it or not (you know, very brief exposure and then he went inside), and it seems like asthma-wise he's alright but... he hates the smell... :P

The difference in scents is interesting. Is it just the scent itself, or is there more of a smokey factor with certain scents?

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                  Well I lit it outside with the fire pit to see if he could handle it or not (you know, very brief exposure and then he went inside), and it seems like asthma-wise he's alright but... he hates the smell... :P

The difference in scents is interesting. Is it just the scent itself, or is there more of a smokey factor with certain scents?

I think its probably the chemicals released in the smoke that do it for me...though extra smoky will do it too (like damp wood or leaves in a fire vs dry wood or a barbque).
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X