Education programs for girls in third-world countries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education programs for girls in third-world countries

I'm a strong supporter for ensuring the education of girls worldwide. I read Half the Sky before they were even considering a movie production and have read just about every other book I can get my hands on about the position of women across the world and especially in third world countries. However, a reoccurring theme is starting to bother me some. In countries where there are tons of parents who can't afford to send any of their children to school, is a girls only program really the best way to go? I mean, isn't it likely to create a generation of boys who resent the fact that their sisters were sponsored in school while they weren't allowed to go because their parents couldn't afford it and the program wouldn't support them just because they're boys?

I know that parents are more likely to put what money they have into a boys education rather than a girls. But when the majority of families in an area can't afford to send any children to school, but a program will support girls, are boys going to start falling through the cracks?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.
Working...
X