Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What brings you to the decision to hex someone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What brings you to the decision to hex someone?

I don't believe in hexing or cursing. The thought of it makes me uncomfortable. I believe in karma and reincarnation. Justice will be played out. It's not up to me to decide if and how to punish them.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
      believe in karma and reincarnation. Justice will be played out. It's not up to me to decide if and how to punish them.
      So you believe in a spiritual carrot and stick routine?

Also, what if YOUR actions are part of someone's "karma"?
      "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
        So you believe in a spiritual carrot and stick routine?

Also, what if YOUR actions are part of someone's "karma"?
        Exactly.... it's like the Biblical saying 'Vengeance is mine saith the Lord' even though the 'Lord' is expecting other people to go and instigate vengeance on his behalf.

And i believe - very strongly - that sometimes it is our duty to punish especially when justice will otherwise never catch up with them.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          Exactly.... it's like the Biblical saying 'Vengeance is mine saith the Lord' even though the 'Lord' is expecting other people to go and instigate vengeance on his behalf.
          As someone with a Christian upbringing, I couldn't disagree more. Christians who commit violent acts in the name of their God are damning themselves to hell if such a place exists. The "Lord God" says what is right and wrong but only he is allowed to play judge, jury and executioner.

Comment

A number of Baal's priests would disagree if Elijah hadn't executed them on orders from the Lord of Hosts.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
              I don't believe in hexing or cursing. The thought of it makes me uncomfortable. I believe in karma and reincarnation. Justice will be played out. It's not up to me to decide if and how to punish them.
              I've said it around here before - it's ok and healthy to be angry. If someone wrongs you, you can get mad at them. Anger, frustration, irritation, annoyance, fear - they are natural emotional responses to stimuli. I know right now in our world, we're told over & over again to 'turn the other cheek', 'be the better person', 'rise above it', all those socially acceptable responses to being hurt. We're encouraged to 'forgive and forget'. Women, especially, are expected to be nice, sweet and accepting. Many of us are given the message that anger is unacceptable, that's it's wrong, that we're bad people for getting angry. We're made to feel uncomfortable about harboring or expressing 'negative' emotions, that there's something wrong with us when we react 'negatively' to something bad happening. When you repress your natural emotional state, you're enforcing an unnatural restriction on your body, mind and soul. Eventually, those restrictions pile up and you either begin destroying yourself from the inside, or you have a completely overblown and unnatural reaction to a minor event. You start projecting those unexpressed feelings on people around you, and they suffer for it.

If someone wrongs you or hurts you, isn't it better to respond to them directly instead of innocent bystanders? Even though magic isn't as direct as telling someone, "You've hurt me and I don't want you to be in my life anymore", or maybe you get treated unfairly in a situation and you use magic to bring the balance back in your favor, or to at least put you on equal footing, you're still dealing directly with the problem at hand. You're not stewing about it, steaming, letting the transgression reach epic proportions as you seethe inside, until suddenly you're standing in your kitchen chucking plates at someone totally unrelated to the problem because they forgot to call & tell you they were going to be late for dinner.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
                As someone with a Christian upbringing, I couldn't disagree more. Christians who commit violent acts in the name of their God are damning themselves to hell if such a place exists. The "Lord God" says what is right and wrong but only he is allowed to play judge, jury and executioner.
                But which particular brand of Christianity are we talking about? Because it boils down to the question of authority. Where does it come from? Bible or Church? Which came first, New Testament or Church?

If you're a Catholic then the answer is Church. If you're not, then the answer will probably be Bible and new Testament.

As for Christians damning themselves by violent acts.... well, the Church has been condoning that for centuries. And there are curses carried out by human beings even in the New Testament.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  But which particular brand of Christianity are we talking about? Because it boils down to the question of authority. Where does it come from? Bible or Church? Which came first, New Testament or Church?

If you're a Catholic then the answer is Church. If you're not, then the answer will probably be Bible and new Testament.

As for Christians damning themselves by violent acts.... well, the Church has been condoning that for centuries. And there are curses carried out by human beings even in the New Testament.
                  My parents are Baptists and we're talking white English (more tea vicar) Baptists rather than some of the crazy white south of the USA Baptists or some of the equally crazy black Baptists either side of the pond.

I don't think it matters what denomination you belong to, just whether or not you are a hypocrite. Christians should attempt to be like Jesus Christ, many of them fail to do so big time. I don't think you can justify being a dick as a Christian even if the Pope of the time has said it's ok. That's just the Pope being a bigger dick. However you're right that someone brought up by Catholics might not see it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
                    What all exactly counts as a hex?

For example, could cursing at other drivers be considered a hex or is that more or less just plain road rage?
                    If so, I am in so much trouble for so maaaany fiery explosions....

This really depends on who were talking about... I can say the words westboro babtist, and anyone who knows what I'm talking about will pretty much loathe or despise them, (or secretly agree if they are ya know, like that) But some people believe that by NOT punishing someone they are going to hell. It really depends on perspective here.

as for hexing/cursing or whatever. I have sent negative energy the way of someone else. I tend to try and sent back what has been sent my way, and I try very hard to keep the wording and intent along those lines, I don't know what someone may be feeling behind closed doors, or what life may already have done to them. there are rare cases where I will make the decision to be truly malicious, and I have done that twice, and my reasons for doing so are my own business (sorry.) but if it matters both times wer at the same person.
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

something stranger to us, a Magical powers

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                        If so, I am in so much trouble for so maaaany fiery explosions....

as for hexing/cursing or whatever. I have sent negative energy the way of someone else. I tend to try and sent back what has been sent my way, and I try very hard to keep the wording and intent along those lines, I don't know what someone may be feeling behind closed doors, or what life may already have done to them. there are rare cases where I will make the decision to be truly malicious, and I have done that twice, and my reasons for doing so are my own business (sorry.) but if it matters both times wer at the same person.
                        Good point... and of course a great deal of protective magic works by bouncing back evil intentions to the sender.... only what if this goes astray and hits someone else along the way? I'm not trying to apportion blame here, simply to point out that even by deflecting a hex, we run the risk of it harming someone else (and you would be surprised how many 'accidental' hexes are flying around.)

So when people say that they don't hex, yet they use, say, mirrors, to protect their space, they have to be aware there is a possibility that in protecting themselves (which of course they are fully entitled to do) they could inadvertently harm someone else.

It's never as clear cut as it first appears, this hexing business....

Comment

Maybe a sponge is better than a mirror.

Comment

Maybe a sponge is better than a mirror.
                            I think the reason many people won't use sponges is because they need cleansing and disposing of afterwards. No reason they shouldn't be used, and as you say, at least it avoids the problems inherent in some mirrors!

Comment

Nope, won't be using sponges. OR panicking about possible "friendly fire" against random bystanders. You see the ability to get the magic (hex, shielding, etc) to do what you want is a question of skill. Unfortunately, precious few people really think their intended action through and then yes, they get to deal with "blow back" and "unintended fallout". But rather then thinking about WHY they got a given negative result, you'll have some shouting about "karma" and "the rule of three" and so on, which really isn't helpful. Actually it's detrimental to personal growth because the person saying such is trying to control another's actions by the threat of punishment. They are also saying that they don't trust the person/think they are smart enough to figure out how to behave properly.

Basically I see threats of "karma will get you" as a cop out. Not only is it about trying to control someone, it's a way to AVOID a lengthy and far more useful discussion about ethics and effective spell casting techniques.
                              "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I quite agree - the only reason I mentioned mirrors is because they are popular for deflecting hexes etc and people often don't realise the dangers that can be inherent in their use. Especially great mirror balls which were very popular not so long ago. You do need to be specific.

I do believe that with skill and clear intent all spells can work as intended. And it's probably one of the main reasons why I'm a witch and not a wiccan. I believe that whatever we do, for good or ill has the capacity to go haywire (if its not properly conducted.) It's not a question of blessings always being good and hexes always being bad either.

Comment

Working...
                                X