Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Christmas/Yule/Saturnalia/Festivus/Channukah Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Christmas/Yule/Saturnalia/Festivus/Channukah Thread!

Im going to try this one in gold and see how it turns out, I need 60 bloody pieces of gold paper tho... wrapping paper here I come!

Support the origami channel for more cool creations atPatreon: www.patreon.com/tadashimoriFacebook: www.facebook.com/tadashiorigamiHow to make an Origami kus...

I bring this one up because its fairly straight forward and pretty, and sorta easy, you don't need other bits eigther.
    Last edited by Maria de Luna; 16 Nov 2012, 04:14.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

So, I'm totally participating in this "21 days of Yule" blogging party thing...except there's no way I'm going to crank out 21 days of blogging in a row (I have a life), so I thought I'd share what I have so far!

(Part I) of herbs for Yule (I'm working on Part II right now)
      Drinks for Yule (which I originally posted last year)
      Stuff we do with the kids for the holidays (originally from last year)
      Decorating stuff
      How to make a yarn doll...small yarn dolls with wings make great fairy ornaments

and right now, I'm also working on the story of Santa and the Yule Fairies, a post about Yuletide Witchlet Magic, a second (and maybe a third) herbal post, and 1 or 2 seasonally appropriate Delphic Maxim posts (since I'm also trying to blog thru the Delphic Maxims)...
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

totally making a yule log this year. and burning it.

awesome.

Mostly art.

Comment

Oh I'd love to see your log V! We'll be doing the same as we do every year and have a chocolate one. It still gets burnt at the end.. by my metabolism!!

Two of the ladies I support attend an art and craft class. They have brought home these amazing wreaths. They are just circles cut from cardboard and then have many short strips of rags in festive colours tied around them with simple knots. They are so effective. We've hung one on the hall door and one on the dining room door and they are beautiful. I think I might see if I can have a go at making one of these.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and btw.. the tree finally fell over this morning. She only started to climb it a few days ago, so we had a few weeks of peace at least. We do find baubles and crackers in the most unexpected places though..
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post

Oh and btw.. the tree finally fell over this morning. She only started to climb it a few days ago, so we had a few weeks of peace at least. We do find baubles and crackers in the most unexpected places though..
            oh no! Despite being almost 4, my kitty will see a christmas tree for the first time this year too. I hope HE doesn't climb it.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
              (sneaky sneaky self-promotion) :P

Its Dale and I's first Christmas in our own house as well and I've got loads of stuff stored away that I've been making for my craft business.

If anyone wants a wee look at my store just send me a message and I'll give you a code for a percentage off

I made some cute hanging Christmas tree ducks for our tree and to sell. And I've started making other decorations for my own tree. We got the spare tree my mum and dad don't use anymore so I'm dead chuffed and excited for my first Christmas in my own house! x
              Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              Wait, when did you move out? :O Congrats!
              I didn't know this, either! (I'm mostly absent these days so I'm not too surprised that I'm missing important things, darnit.) Congrats!!!

Comment

I made a wreath! It's made from pine, hemlock, and cedar, and cranberries and a hot glue gun, of course. It looks awesome on my front door.

Mostly art.

Comment

Cool wreath! And it goes beautifully with the color of the door!
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Is that a Hot Pink front door or just lighting? ... I want one.
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I made a wreath! It's made from pine, hemlock, and cedar, and cranberries and a hot glue gun, of course. It looks awesome on my front door.
                      Beautiful!! So far, I still only have a paper chain and one now very kitten damaged, origami bauble! I had hoped to make more baubles but I just don't have any free time. Well, I have the hours I'm at work, but that is taken up with my NVQ and vocab drills. At home, I just can't do anything creative. Because JP and I sleep at different times of the day, Magpie is sleeping with me in the daytime, then sleeping with JP through the night, which means when we're both awake, so is she, and she's going through a very playful stage. Sigh...
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
                        Is that a Hot Pink front door or just lighting? ... I want one.
                        lol, no, that must be the lighting. My door is bright red.

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful!! So far, I still only have a paper chain and one now very kitten damaged, origami bauble! I had hoped to make more baubles but I just don't have any free time. Well, I have the hours I'm at work, but that is taken up with my NVQ and vocab drills. At home, I just can't do anything creative. Because JP and I sleep at different times of the day, Magpie is sleeping with me in the daytime, then sleeping with JP through the night, which means when we're both awake, so is she, and she's going through a very playful stage. Sigh...
                        I miss those days. I have so much free time that I don't even know what to do with it. I just started a puzzle. I'll probably rot my brain with video games today, too.

Mostly art.

Comment

Yeah, with the kittens, just don't be too attached to the pretty baubles... Magpie you will find is likely an apt name for a kitten... It is harder for them to topple a larger tree, cause kittens are small... but as for the 4 year old kitty... He could manage it, if he really likes the idea of climbing proper to getat specific ornaments... That said Cthulhu is only a year older, but she does not bother with the shiny decorations this year... they bore her, the other cat though... she bloody tries to eat wire! and hides it in my shoe when she cant eat it...
                          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I had replied to this thread last night, or so I thought. Dunno why it didn't work but luckily the auto save had my message. So...

I miss those days. I have so much free time that I don't even know what to do with it. I just started a puzzle. I'll probably rot my brain with video games today, too.
                            Wasn't there some kind of stringed instrument you hoped to learn? Maybe treat yourself to a few sessions with that? Make the most of it whatever you do, free time is a gift. I get paranoid because who knows how long my job will last. I think that's why I cram so much in, because I feel lucky to have free time at work, when work is meant to swallow free time. Then because I cram in so much, I end up back to square one with not enough time.. it's an aggressive bike, or something.

And for today's post..

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                            Yeah, with the kittens, just don't be too attached to the pretty baubles... Magpie you will find is likely an apt name for a kitten... It is harder for them to topple a larger tree, cause kittens are small... but as for the 4 year old kitty... He could manage it, if he really likes the idea of climbing proper to getat specific ornaments... That said Cthulhu is only a year older, but she does not bother with the shiny decorations this year... they bore her, the other cat though... she bloody tries to eat wire! and hides it in my shoe when she cant eat it...
                            They are so fun. Magpie definitely lives up to her name. We got her a hooded cat bed (kind of like a magpie nest actually) and she actually takes things she has stolen in there with her. It's very cute.

Comment

I had replied to this thread last night, or so I thought. Dunno why it didn't work but luckily the auto save had my message. So...

Wasn't there some kind of stringed instrument you hoped to learn? Maybe treat yourself to a few sessions with that? Make the most of it whatever you do, free time is a gift. I get paranoid because who knows how long my job will last. I think that's why I cram so much in, because I feel lucky to have free time at work, when work is meant to swallow free time. Then because I cram in so much, I end up back to square one with not enough time.. it's an aggressive bike, or something.

Yeah, I bought a Ukulele last spring and tried to learn it. Well...sorta. I fiddled with it a bit, realized I sucked, and did what I do with all my other instruments that I've bought over the years - threw it in the closet, never to be seen from again (until I ultimately move or sell it)

Free time IS nice. But I've had four straight months of it. I actually ENJOY being so busy that I can't think, and haven't any time for anything. I prefer to be like that. After a while, I just fall into this lazy routine of "I should go to the gym, but nah, I'm too depressed to go" and then I play video games, spend 5 hours on Reddit, and go back to bed until the next day. Sometimes I clean or cook, or try to paint/take photos/do a puzzle/whatever.

Mostly I just lament everything. I envy everybody on the forum with a job right now (and not just for their monies).

/derail

Mostly art.

Comment

I guess it's my turn to post in this thread.

On Gaia Online I'm in a Pagan Guild and I'm Vice Captain (yeah, I know. I'm just as scared as you are that I was put remotely in charge of something). We were supposed to get together to plan the Yule event but the rest of the crew is MIA, so I've taken it upon myself to set up the event at pretty much the last minute. Luckily there's a template so I have some idea how to run this thing. I'm crawling the Wicca 101 sites for Yule rituals since I think it would be a great idea and maybe spring some life into the guild and I'm pulling up some fun stuff to share in the forum.

I have a corner set up for the ritual with little cyber refreshments. I think it looks kinda cute now, but once I get some other decor set up it will look great. I'm going to have little bows and ornaments set up along the table and altar as trim.
                                my etsy store
                                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                                ill prepared, but willing,
                                to descend."

Comment

Working...
                                X