Family for Thanksgiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family for Thanksgiving

Just thinking about being with the whole extended family for the next several days makes my chest feel heavy. I love them all, and I am eager to see them all; however, they also make me a little insane. I am working very hard to have the best possible expectations, to visualize a harmonious time, because I absolutely buy into the self-fulfilling prophecy bit. I wish I could pull from memory one single time we were all together without ... ugh. It has been a few years, and maybe they are all as eager as I am to have things go well, and so maybe they will also be on their best behavior. I just need to breathe, I think. Breathe.

Any others with mixed anticipation?

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Re: Family for Thanksgiving

This is my first thanksgiving without my mother. I think I'll just try to enjoy having the day off watching parades and eating my usual Thanksgiving pizza.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      This is my first thanksgiving without my mother. I think I'll just try to enjoy having the day off watching parades and eating my usual Thanksgiving pizza.
      Oh, wow. You have made me feel pretty good about spending a few days with the whole dysfunctional bunch. Is it OK to hug a satanist? I've never actually known one in real life.

Comment

I'm north of your border, so I had ours last month. Spent it with the boyfriend's family in Ontario! It was fun, but a bit stressful.

(read: haha suckers, while you're celebrating Thanksgiving, I get to celebrate my birthday instead! :P )

Mostly art.

Comment

I haven't celebrated holidays with my family in years, because I'm that far away (and holidays are the most inconvenient time to make my biennial trip to Canada). I know where you're coming from, because I really enjoy the stress-free aspect of holidays, even though I host thanksgiving every october for up to 20 friends.

I'd suggest focusing on what you love about each other and how you have fun together rather than on any differences, disagreements, or nags you might have. It's what I always do when I see my parents...especially when they're jet lagged.

Comment

I usually get together with all of my family. There are too many people to count. But this year it's just going to be me, my mom, and her boyfriend. It's going to be quiet, but I'm looking forward to a new experience. I'm in charge of the ham and zucchini muffins!

Comment

I will be working, I shall not even see my husband this day... I do not like it...
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I have a huge adopted family here, and I'll be with them. They are kind of like the Waltons, only more of them! I'm making a pumpkin cheesecake to bring.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

It's just me and my mum this year. My siblings are across the US, recently moved away from my state and they couldn't make it back this year. I'm a little disappointed, but I'll live. As for my other relatives... we're so estrange that we only seem to get along at funerals. So, I have no want to spend five minutes with them, let alone any holiday. That's awful, I know...
                  My everyday wacky blog

Comment

I leave after work to go down-state and pick up my daughter. The other daughter and her hubby are coming up from the cities. Unfortunately, K'Roe has to work, so we won't actually be celebrating until Saturday.

The turkey shall be fried... our stove's been broken for about a year, and we haven't had the cash to buy another...
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm gonna do nothing! Because we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Europe , But I hope all of you Americans and Canadians will enjoy the day!
                      ~ flowers are our only garments
                      only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

I'm back and, aside from a little sleep deprivation, all is well. We shall have to do that again in another 4-8 years.

Comment

Working...
                        X