Tameran/egyptian Wicca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tameran/egyptian Wicca

I am just starting to study Wicca after first discovering it in college then reading many books on Wicca and Paganism. Not sure where my path will lead me, but I gotta start somewhere. That said I have always felt a strong pull towards Egypt. I know that I can incorporate that calling into wicca, but how? I do seem to have a strong calling to Bast, but thats all I really know right now. I am taking a two part class on Wicca, second part tonight and the leader, after I picked the book up, its Wikka: A year and a day, that its a good place to start. I have other books on wicca that I need to get from my previous home, lukily I know they arent going anywhere. My grandparents would have no clue...lol. So I guess my question in all this is how do I get to know wicca, but at the same time make the path my own.

On a completely different note. Alters, I know they can just be a table with storage underneath, something simple, but I found the coolest place that will custom make an alter. Its not cheap, but its customized completely to your wants and needs. I want one so badly, I have bad impulse control....lol, but something simple would probably do in the beginning right? Oh an as far as alter tools I did find an egyptian Athame.

Re: Tameran/egyptian Wicca

I don't know how the board is doing on its supply of Tameran Wiccans but if you want info on Egyptian Paganism in general than toss some questions in the Kemetic subforum.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Kemetic paganism and wicca are extremely different. I wouldn't even begin to understand how this works
      Circe

Comment

Wicca is its own religion, and has its own particular history and traditions. They are broad enough to include worship of many different gods from many different past pantheons. But it's a tough fit to integrate fully the traditions of an entirely different religion and culture into Wiccan practice. Wicca is founded very much on Western European occult traditions and British folklore. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is a definite challenge to graft traditional Egyptian pagan practices and beliefs onto that framework.

Comment

I've known people that are Tameran Wiccan, but I really don't know specifically what they do. I would actually look for some Egyptian Wiccan blogs, or blogger or wordpress or something, and see what people are actually doing and writing about. We do have a few people that are pretty darn well-versed in the Egyptian side of the house though.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Most Tameran Wiccans will stick with the Wiccan core, and add symbols, tools, etc. from ancient Egypt into that. They worship and work with the Egyptian deities, but do so in a Wiccan context rather than trying to reconstruct ancient worship. For example, instead of using a ritual structure from ancient Egypt, they'll stick with the Wiccan ritual structure (casting the circle and all that), but they will add Egyptian touches. They might call on the four sons of Horus for each direction when casting the circle, for example. The words for casting the circle might be influenced by ancoent Egyptian spells, prayers, rituals, and so on. They might use natron instead of sea salt in ritual, for cleansing, etc. They might have an ankh on their altar instead of a pentacle - or a pentacle with an ankh over it. They might use an Egyptian style wand instead of a traditional Wiccan wand, or a sistrum instead of a bell. Instead of cakes and ale they might use bread and beer made in a traditional Egyptian style, or other Egyptian inspired food and drink. They usually follow the wheel of the year, rather than the Egyptian festival calendar, and replace the god/goddess mythos with more Egyptian myth. Or, some celebrate the wheel but also incorporate some ancient holidays into their personal calendar.

There are many different ways to incorporate ancient Egyptian beliefs and practices into Wicca, some do more than others... just have to find what mix works for you.

Originally posted by your_illusion97 View Post
            On a completely different note. Alters, I know they can just be a table with storage underneath, something simple, but I found the coolest place that will custom make an alter. Its not cheap, but its customized completely to your wants and needs. I want one so badly, I have bad impulse control....lol, but something simple would probably do in the beginning right?
            I wouldn't grab something expensive for an altar when you're just starting out. After you practice for a while you might realize you need something bigger, smaller, a different shape... whatever. I'd hold off on anything custom/expensive until you have a better idea of what your wants and needs in an altar table and for storage will actually be.
            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I am unsure of what to do at this point. Should I reread my book on Egyptian Paganism or keep going with the wicca. I kinda started with wicca because I wasnt sure where to start.

Comment

A lot of people are introduced to paganism through Wicca, especially since it's one of the more common traditions out there, there's tons of information on it easily available - where other traditions may be harder to research. Quite a few people do end up branching out from Wicca as they start to discover just how many other pagan paths there are out there. Personally, like you I started with Wicca, found myself moving more to Tameran Wicca, and eventually into Egyptian/Kemetic reconstructionism. (Of course, then I moved off into something else totally, so maybe I'm not the best example. ) It was something that happened over several years, so don't feel like you need to figure it all out today. Study and practice what interests you most right now, see how it works for you, and go from there - be it making little modifications, or looking into something totally different.

(That said, if you feel called to Bast it's very possible to worship her in a Wiccan setting, without bringing tons of other Egyptian things into it. So don't feel like you need to be a Tameran Wiccan, or an Egyptian pagan/reconstructionist to do that.)
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I agree with what Gardenia said in the parentheses. For example, I worship some Greek gods and some Celtic gods. But I am able to worship then in a very conventionally Wiccan context, without bringing in too many Greek or Celtic cultural things into the framework.

Comment

Thanks Gardenia and Louisvillian, I will I think find ways to incorperate Bast into a wiccan setting.

Comment

This book contains an egyptianised version of a Wiccan ritual. May give you some idea of how to combine the two.

Comment

I just got this book in the mail today...lol

Comment

Originally posted by your_illusion97 View Post
                          I just got this book in the mail today...lol
                          Don't forget to check out the kemetic section of the forum, some great topics there to read up on too!
                          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                            Don't forget to check out the kemetic section of the forum, some great topics there to read up on too!
                            Yep I'll be checking that out as well.

Comment

I have found two tables that I have that may be suitable as alters one is a three tiered round table, it was my great grandmothers so it is very special to me. The other is just a small end table I have sitting around. I would post pics, but I keep getting an error saying I cant post links.

Comment

Working...
                              X