Journals, Logs, Diaries, and BOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Journals, Logs, Diaries, and BOS

Every time I try to make a journal or anything of that nature, I get lost. I make some entries over time for a couple months, then rip the pages out and throw them away. I've never been good with logging things. I suppose it's just that I don't like my own wording.

And I've been having the same trouble with my Book of Shadows. It's kind of making things difficult to keep my ideas together when I totally despise keeping records.

So, does anyone else have trouble keeping up with personal writing?
    How does everyone keep their thoughts and ideas organized? Doesn't have to specifically be about your BOS.

Re: Journals, Logs, Diaries, and BOS

You could try a three ring binder. That way you can add and take out indefinitely to your heart's content ^_^

Comment

I'm trying that currently. It's working better than a plain journal. I still find myself taking TOO much out. I've written on so many pages and my binder still has nothing XD

Comment

My BOS is mostly just where I write and record my spells. I use my library of occult books as an extended BOS by having it marked in such a way that it is easy for me to find the things that I usually need. I suppose if I used the net more for research a ring binder would be best because I could put print outs in that but I'm very much a book Witch. Talking of books: I'm writing one called 'The Book of Alice' that outlines my beliefs, ideas and practices. So a polished Book of Shadows if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
          My BOS is mostly just where I write and record my spells. I use my library of occult books as an extended BOS by having it marked in such a way that it is easy for me to find the things that I usually need. I suppose if I used the net more for research a ring binder would be best because I could put print outs in that but I'm very much a book Witch. Talking of books: I'm writing one called 'The Book of Alice' that outlines my beliefs, ideas and practices. So a polished Book of Shadows if you will.
          You know what, that's a great idea. I don't have any books, but as far as the internet goes, I should just print out pages. I tend to keep printed pages around longer than I keep my own writing.
          Your book sounds nice. That's something I wish to accomplish one day, but I feel like it's something I'll be working on all my life.

Comment

I've been a Witch for over 13 years and I'm just starting to feel able to write a book and it won't be a long one. So you never know.

Comment

Perhaps I haven't been a Pagan for nearly as long. I guess after a while my ideas will settle enough for me to write a solid book.

Comment

I know what you mean, it's really frustrating. As a hobby I make movies and scripts, and just stories in general.
                But here's the kicker, I don't like writing stuff down. An upside to this is I can remember almost anything I come up with of that nature.

It's like I can see it perfectly in my head, but when it comes to putting it into words, it never sounds quite right, no matter how well you word it.

The way I cope with things like that is I just remember what I can [which is usually all of it] and when I do manage to get to writing it, what I don't remember probably wasn't all that important or necessary.

As far as the Book of Shadows. Mine is pretty sad. I've been practicing witchcraft for about 5-6 years, yet there's only a handfull of things written down in it.
                So yeah... there's that. The really important ones are written down.

Sort of off topic, but in my personal opinion some of the best spells are improvised.
                Last edited by XIII; 25 Nov 2012, 03:21.
                "The fire could not be tamed with the wind,
                nor the wind suppressed by the flames.
                As blending the Light with the Dark
                merely results in Grey." -Ville Friman

Comment

Maybe it's because this is my latest obsession, but what about scrapbooking your experiences? I know in my experience I rip out pages like that because I feel they no longer feel relevant or I don't like how I've written something, regardless of how personal it is.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                  surrounded by plush, downy things,
                  ill prepared, but willing,
                  to descend."

Comment

In my experience, keeping a BOS is a slow process. I write in mine much less these days but that is mainly a reflection of the fact I haven't been studying new things lately. I tend not to date my entries, but I date the volumes of my bos so I know how long it took me to fill each one. So maybe if I explain how long each one took, you'll have an idea from someone who's walked the path a while First one was started in 1998 (I'd been dabbling for 2 or 3 years by then, -when did the Craft come out? I started that year- but I hadn't kept a proper journal or BOS). The earlier entries in there are soo cute! That volume was completed in 2002, so it took me four years to fill around 150 pages.

When I filled my next bos, I was old enough to join in with local groups, I was in a more serious coven (I'd been in a coven in school, but it was just a teen thing) and for the first time I had the financial independence to buy books and tools, so this was a massive learning period for me and my bos reflects this as it took less than 2 years to fill. There is a 2 year break there, because I was in my final year of uni doing my dissertation. After that, I was frantically studying survival Japanese ready for my up-coming move to Ikuta, kanagawa. In Japan, I did study a little. I was doing a long-distance course in Egyptian magic, but I kept all of this in a separate journal and never put anything into a book of shadows.

Back in the UK, my new BOS begins in 2005. This was when I started my training as a medium and began giving demonstrations on the local Spiritualist scene. I escaped eventually though, thank goodness. At the same time, I also started and ran a local pub moot and started to network with the local pagan community. I was able to learn lots of new ideas, techniques and ways of thinking during this period. I also stepped up as High Priestess of my coven during this time, so BOS III was full by the end of 2006.

Which brings me to BOS volume IV. Began in late 2006, this BOS still isn't complete. I just ran out of things to write about. I also got drawn into the Tekken scene and stopped caring quite so much about paganism and was more interested in Yoshimitsu. It was then that I fell in love with a German player and ended up moving to Germany and having my heart torn out and fed to me on a Brezel. During those years I was focusing on upping my Yoshi game as well as desperately studying German, so there just wasn't the emphasis on paganism for me.

Now I'm kinda torn. I am desperate to work with Brigantia and to learn as much as I can about her, but at the same time, I really need to be focusing on Japanese (only a month of this left folks!), so I haven't the time to record what I learn in my BOS. BOS V is ready and waiting for me though!
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by XIII View Post
                      I know what you mean, it's really frustrating. As a hobby I make movies and scripts, and just stories in general.
                      But here's the kicker, I don't like writing stuff down. An upside to this is I can remember almost anything I come up with of that nature.

It's like I can see it perfectly in my head, but when it comes to putting it into words, it never sounds quite right, no matter how well you word it.

The way I cope with things like that is I just remember what I can [which is usually all of it] and when I do manage to get to writing it, what I don't remember probably wasn't all that important or necessary.

As far as the Book of Shadows. Mine is pretty sad. I've been practicing witchcraft for about 5-6 years, yet there's only a handfull of things written down in it.
                      So yeah... there's that. The really important ones are written down.

Sort of off topic, but in my personal opinion some of the best spells are improvised.
                      I'm the same way. I love coming up with stories and characters. Instead of writing, I draw, then scribble a few notes about the scene. Then eventually a story compiles.
                      But I can't draw all my ideas, so I have to rely on my memory. It's a good memory, it's just a bit difficult.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                      Maybe it's because this is my latest obsession, but what about scrapbooking your experiences? I know in my experience I rip out pages like that because I feel they no longer feel relevant or I don't like how I've written something, regardless of how personal it is.
                      That's actually a really good idea! It works with AL!CE's idea of printing things out.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                      In my experience, keeping a BOS is a slow process. I write in mine much less these days but that is mainly a reflection of the fact I haven't been studying new things lately. I tend not to date my entries, but I date the volumes of my bos so I know how long it took me to fill each one. So maybe if I explain how long each one took, you'll have an idea from someone who's walked the path a while First one was started in 1998 (I'd been dabbling for 2 or 3 years by then, -when did the Craft come out? I started that year- but I hadn't kept a proper journal or BOS). The earlier entries in there are soo cute! That volume was completed in 2002, so it took me four years to fill around 150 pages.

When I filled my next bos, I was old enough to join in with local groups, I was in a more serious coven (I'd been in a coven in school, but it was just a teen thing) and for the first time I had the financial independence to buy books and tools, so this was a massive learning period for me and my bos reflects this as it took less than 2 years to fill. There is a 2 year break there, because I was in my final year of uni doing my dissertation. After that, I was frantically studying survival Japanese ready for my up-coming move to Ikuta, kanagawa. In Japan, I did study a little. I was doing a long-distance course in Egyptian magic, but I kept all of this in a separate journal and never put anything into a book of shadows.

Back in the UK, my new BOS begins in 2005. This was when I started my training as a medium and began giving demonstrations on the local Spiritualist scene. I escaped eventually though, thank goodness. At the same time, I also started and ran a local pub moot and started to network with the local pagan community. I was able to learn lots of new ideas, techniques and ways of thinking during this period. I also stepped up as High Priestess of my coven during this time, so BOS III was full by the end of 2006.

Which brings me to BOS volume IV. Began in late 2006, this BOS still isn't complete. I just ran out of things to write about. I also got drawn into the Tekken scene and stopped caring quite so much about paganism and was more interested in Yoshimitsu. It was then that I fell in love with a German player and ended up moving to Germany and having my heart torn out and fed to me on a Brezel. During those years I was focusing on upping my Yoshi game as well as desperately studying German, so there just wasn't the emphasis on paganism for me.

Now I'm kinda torn. I am desperate to work with Brigantia and to learn as much as I can about her, but at the same time, I really need to be focusing on Japanese (only a month of this left folks!), so I haven't the time to record what I learn in my BOS. BOS V is ready and waiting for me though!
                      Wow, it sounds like you've had quite and adventure exploring and learning new things! Perhaps that's why you're able to write about so much in your BOS. I can't believe you've written so many books lol. I admire that. Do you think that one day you will take all your books and condense them all into one large book?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
                        Wow, it sounds like you've had quite and adventure exploring and learning new things! Perhaps that's why you're able to write about so much in your BOS. I can't believe you've written so many books lol. I admire that. Do you think that one day you will take all your books and condense them all into one large book?
                        I'd like to, but it would be hard. I did start making an electronic version a few years ago, but the books are hard back A4 art books. I heavily decorate them with stencils, sketches, stamps, stickers and things I cut from magazines. I take a lot of inspiration from card making or scrapbooking techniques. That's one of the reasons I kept at it I think: it was a creative output as well as just writing. This would be impossible to copy unless I removed the pages and bound them together again. That would create a very thick book though. There's more to my BOS than the content. When I hold each one, I can recall the excitement and wonder I felt on various stages of my journey. There is a lot of nonesense and fluff at times, but I still couldn't bear to lose even a page.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          I'd like to, but it would be hard. I did start making an electronic version a few years ago, but the books are hard back A4 art books. I heavily decorate them with stencils, sketches, stamps, stickers and things I cut from magazines. I take a lot of inspiration from card making or scrapbooking techniques. That's one of the reasons I kept at it I think: it was a creative output as well as just writing. This would be impossible to copy unless I removed the pages and bound them together again. That would create a very thick book though. There's more to my BOS than the content. When I hold each one, I can recall the excitement and wonder I felt on various stages of my journey. There is a lot of nonesense and fluff at times, but I still couldn't bear to lose even a page.
                          Well, you could always scan it and print it out onto some nice paper. That way you would keep your old books and have a nice new big book. But that sounds like a lot of time and money.
                          You know, perhaps I should try what you do. If I turn each page I write on into a piece of art, I know I wouldn't be able to throw it away.

Comment

I want to start one but everytime I do want to I never know just what should be put in it. And I don't particularly like the name bos so I I tend to refer to it as a magickal journal or diary. Bos just is to dark for my tastes but its a personal thing lol. I think I have something to log in it... Then I don't know where to start. And how do you organize it. Do you? Is any supernatural occurance to little to be logged? Should I try and log every event? I end up overwhelmed and putting the task aside.

Comment

Originally posted by Djnn View Post
                              I want to start one but everytime I do want to I never know just what should be put in it. And I don't particularly like the name bos so I I tend to refer to it as a magickal journal or diary. Bos just is to dark for my tastes but its a personal thing lol. I think I have something to log in it... Then I don't know where to start. And how do you organize it. Do you? Is any supernatural occurance to little to be logged? Should I try and log every event? I end up overwhelmed and putting the task aside.
                              I know, I never liked the term BOS, but that's technically what a magickal journal would be called. I would never actually put "Book of Shadows" on the cover of my BOS though haha.

Well, it can be something to organize your thoughts on certain subjects. Subject including, but not limited to:
                              Your personal laws and rules,
                              What you believe in,
                              Anything about your deity,
                              Spells, rituals, and prayers,
                              Crystals, herbs, etc.
                              Tarot, astrology, palm reading, ect.
                              Quotes and passages,

Anything else your mind can come up with. It doesn't have to follow the order or include all those things. It's more of a tool to help you, so as long as you can record, organize, and read it in a way that makes sense to you, that's all that matters.

Comment

Working...
                              X