Buddhism and Wicca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddhism and Wicca

I had thought of being a Buddhist for some time and tried some of the things out. I was Agnostic for most of my life but Buddhism seems to interest me quite a bit although Wicca has caught my interest and after all nothing is set in stone and I can always change to a new faith. But I had been wondering how these 2 ways of life would mesh. Like if I were to date a Wiccan girl would that go well. I would think Buddhism and Wicca would mesh better than something like Christianity and Wicca or Judaism and Wicca. And not to sound too off topic but I always thought pretty much any faith aside from the dark evil faiths can mesh well. Doesn't pretty much every religion use magic? I know Christians and others usually don't like magic, but yet they label what we would call magic, "miracles" such as healing the sick or cursing the fig tree which sounds pretty magical to me. Not to mention there are Christian and Muslim mystics as well. We basically all have the same end goal. To use or have supernatural forces to help us and others through our lives and to enlighten and help our loved ones, family, friends and so forth whether it be blessings and holy water, having a ritual and make stuff in a cauldron or creating auras developing 3rd eyes and telekinesis.

But I probably rambled a little bit. Could a Buddhist date a Wiccan and get into a complex relationship without any major problems?

Re: Buddhism and Wicca

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
    Doesn't pretty much every religion use magic?
    Indeed. They label it differently depending on the faith, but I believe it's all basically the same energy.

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
    Could a Buddhist date a Wiccan and get into a complex relationship without any major problems?
    I don't see why not. Those two do make quite a good match as far as common ideals and what not. Honestly if it's a successful relationship, be it friend or significant other, religious beliefs shouldn't be a problem anyway. But if you were to base a relationship off of those two it'd match pretty well I think.
    "The fire could not be tamed with the wind,
    nor the wind suppressed by the flames.
    As blending the Light with the Dark
    merely results in Grey." -Ville Friman

Comment

Depends on how you're defining magic. Every religion has a form of mysticism, though.

As for getting along with your partner, I have dated atheists, Druids, spiritual but not religious folks, a chaote (currently with him), and a Christian. What you'll find is belief has little to do with a relationship as much as the people involved.
      my etsy store
      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
      surrounded by plush, downy things,
      ill prepared, but willing,
      to descend."

Comment

I'm not super well informed on Buddhism, but my current boyfriend likes to follow a lot of Buddhist ways of life. He's not strict, just likes a lot of concepts. Then I'm a Pagan, which is close to Wiccan. I'm not sure if it counts, but we get along pretty well. We can agree to disagree on our religious views very well, because most of our disagreements aren't going to really effect anything. I support his decision, and he supports mine, as long as we both are happy.

Then I have a friend who is Christian, and he's dating a Catholic girl, but they still have a lot of problems concerning their religion. I mean, for crying out loud, you both worship the same God and have the same moral values. So what if you go about your rituals a different way?? I think any religion concerning the Christian God is going to have a hard time meshing with any other religion on a romantic level.

Comment

I find that Wiccans and Pagans are generally open-minded, but I think ultimately it just depends on the specific girl.

Comment

We've had Christianity and Buddhism for sure, ie: Christian mysticism, Celtic spirituality, New Thought, Gandhi etc...

But Wicca and Buddhism could be tricky, avoiding desire etc...seems to go against the pagan 'lust for life' idea IMO

A Wiccan monk, could it be possible?

Comment

An interesting aside, Buddhism isn't so much a religion as a philosophy. There are many great things to be pulled from it. I incorporate much of it into my daily life and spiritual path. An interesting thing to consider though Buddhism's view of the gods. They feel that there is no need to worship gods, since they are souls trapped on the wheel of death and rebirth like all others. This doesn't mean it denies the gods, but can create an interesting inner dialogue on how you interact with those not rooted in the physical, and with the gods themselves. Not only did Buddhism eliminate the need for caste systems in Hinduism, but it put everyone on an even plane. Though the Gods may have power or governance, it is all in the mind of the being. Their is no definable self, just a perceived self. There are three schools of Buddhism, Theravada, Majrayana, and Vajrayana. Each has it's own concept for attaining enlightenment, and each is broken down into numerous sub-schools. The key is to not get lost in it all. Focus on self. Feel for the truth that is in you, and you will find that you can very easily combine your own ingrained beliefs with that of the Buddhist schools.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Wicca draws from eastern philosophy, specifically regarding karma yoga (literally discipline in action, not the western idea of what yoga is), reincarnation, and that everything including people are connected in some way.

I think that a Buddhist/Wicca relationship would be one of the best combinations.

Comment

Working...
                X