Learning aids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning aids

Does anyone know of any good sources for poetry, chants, or other such things that can aid in learning mythology, etc. And herbs, I'd like to learn something of herbs. I'm looking for simple things, like could be taught to a child. Short but meaningful. I've been doing a lot of memorization at work, with what I can write in my little notebook, since I'm walking in circle all day a lot of the time.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Learning aids

I'm working on this as a project right now, for the kids (and for the blog)...if you give me a wee bit of time, I'll keep you posted!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Thal! Trying to find some things online myself, I'll add it here if I find anything really interesting.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Is it uses of herbs or identification that you are after? Just if you only want to learn about wild plants, then I think Cicely Mary Barker's Flower Fairies books are a really nice way to learn about plants. The paintings are good enough that plants can be identified from them (although for the sake of collecting wild plants, I'd definitely stick to a proper field guide to be on the safe side). The poems are catchy and cute and often contain folklore about the species. My favourite is the gorse fairies. I used to know this poem by heart. In fact I used to know several of them by heart. My Nana died very young from early onset Alzheimer's, but she used to collect the flower fairies dolls and books. She loved fairies in fact. So these books really have a nostalgia for me and connect me to a gran I knew for far too short a time.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Sorry, was away for awhile. I'm really looking for anything interesting. I'll check out the book you mentioned, Jembru, if I can find it at the library. Anything related to lore, mythology, legends. Ways of memorizing the main folk in a pantheon and basic info about them while still keeping it interesting. Or of organizing and learning basic tenets of main religions. While I feel I have a good overview of many religions at this point, I still couldn't quote the ten commandments or the four noble truths. I thinks that's kinda sad considering... Will probably work on those sort of things as well. And I can do rote memorization as well, but it's more fun if I can find an interesting way to memorize it. Not to mention if I make it fun, I can use that same method to teach my kids when I decide to have them. I've already made my way through the Elder Futhark, with symbol, pronunciation, and meaning memorized. I'd work on Tarot, but I'm not the best at drawing and I don't think it would work well in my little notebook. So little things that I can do when I have random bits of time. I'm currently working on memorizing The Raven, Edgar Allen Poe. It's not religious, but it's something I've wanted to do since high school so I'm doing it now.

Comment

Working...
          X