My Thoughts on Samhain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Thoughts on Samhain

I know this might seem a little odd to have a thread like this since Samhain has already passed, but I am taking a look at my beliefs and how I want to practice. I do not feel a connection to the Goddess/God myth that is so common in Wiccan/Witchcraft/Pagan books. The connection that I feel towards the holidays involve the changing seasons and the symbolism behind them. Since I have not found any books that really dwell into this side of the holidays I've made the decision to write out an explanation of each of the holidays myself to keep in my BOS. I feel that this is better anyways because it is personal, it's not just something I copied from a book to follow mindlessly. I have to really consider and think about what each season and holiday means to me.

So, I decided to start with Samhain. After this explanation, I am going to post what I've written about this holiday. Anyone who cares to read it is welcomed to and I would be appreciative to hear your comments on it and how you think it sounds. Of course, I understand that how I feel about Samhain may differ from how others feel about it, but it's always nice to hear the perspectives of others. So, without further ado, this is my personal explanation of Samhain. (Also, I'll probably post my explanations of the other holidays as I write them up, so this is just the first one.)

Samhain marks the final harvest of the year. The days are becoming shorter and there is a chill in the air. Everything seems to be slowing down, preparing itself for the coming winter months. The growing stillness of nature is becoming more noticeable. It is the beginning of the end of the infinite cycle of the earth.

It is the beginning of the time to start looking inward; to examine your past and where you have been and to rid yourself of mental clutter. It is the time to banish the negativity that may have built up in your life throughout the year to make way for progression that will help you grow as a person.

In looking at the past, it may also be a time to honor those who have departed this earthly plane. You may want to pay your respects to loved ones who are no longer with you; to consider their lives and how they affected yours.

While this time of the year is a time of endings, remember that it comes with the promise of new beginnings. That with the symbolism of death it brings, it also brings the hope of rebirth. The wheel of the year turns, never-ending in its cycle.
Working...
X