This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Evolution Thread

Evolution is one of my favorite subjects within Biology. Cladistics allows one to see the map of life, and without it, the patterns of Biology are meaningless. You can hardly even make sense of a newly sequenced genome without comparing it to its relatives. The functions of its proteins will be difficult to infer without comparisons with closely related proteins.

Young earth creationism is probably one of my biggest hot buttons. It's become my litmus test for sanity when it comes to religious people. If you can acknowledge the countless perfect confirmations of the phylogenetic tree, then you're alright. We can at least speak with one another as fellow denizens of reality.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      ...because we don't have one yet, and its bound to happen anyway...
      It's really simple. Either we evolved from monkeys, or we're supposed to look like this. And I'm not impressed, either way.

Comment

Originally posted by JCaydic View Post
        I think it is a fact that evolution is true. It is beyond reasonable doubt.

Anyone doubting it or negating it (Creationists) is probably misunderstanding science and evidence or is blinded by faith to that point that he or she can't reason anymore.

As much as I would agree...there are people other than Creationists that disbelieve in evolution. I've actually "met" any number of Pagans, IRL and online that don't actually.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          As much as I would agree...there are people other than Creationists that disbelieve in evolution. I've actually "met" any number of Pagans, IRL and online that don't actually.
          why is that? I assume you asked? I'm curious. My husband is a creationist
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
            why is that? I assume you asked? I'm curious. My husband is a creationist
            lol...six months later I see this...

Erm...I never really got a good answer that I found at all comprehensible. Usually its been that they believed in a non-Christian form of 'Intelligent Design'...

But I've even seen people that actually think that people were independently created by their own specific gods--a Pagan version of "multiple creation" (polygenism)...which even trickled down into ideas like you MUST worship the pantheon of your ethnicity (else you be doing it wrong). Personally, I find this load of bs to be incredibly offensive...

And, in most cases, it seems more like a willful disregard of science, than ignorance of it. I dunno, Americans as a group are really stupid when it comes to science--what it is, how it works, etc. I think part of it is how science is portrayed in the media, some of it is probably education...but honestly, I think a big solid chunk of it comes from the whole American identity of "distrust of authority".

Which isn't even why I came to this thread, lol...

I was going to say that coursera is starting a human evolution course this week! https://class.coursera.org/humanevolution-001
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

So, I haven't gotten to watch all of them, but Jack Szostak is a pretty damn famous geneticist (also a Nobel winner)...and just happens to study RNA and the early origins of life...and happens to have this fab (though I've not gotten all to see two and a half hours yet) set of lectures
              sigpic

Comment

and in exibit b, organism that hasn't evolved in 2 billion years

(I can't comment on this, because I haven't had time to read up on it)
                sigpic

Comment

^best evolution in a nutshell I've found yet
                  sigpic

Comment

The thing that bothers me about people's 'belief' in evolution is this idea that someone man is the pinnacle of it. Somehow we are this perfect animal in 'God's' own likeness. Therefore we are no longer evolving. I think the idea that we are more 'like god' than anything else in the animal Kingdom is what seems to give many scientists the lack of conscience or arrogance to play around with nature, and create so much havoc with the natural order. We are an animal, and we continue to evolve along with the rest of them. X
                    Love, Starlight and Magical Wishes from Felicity Fairy
                    www.felicityfairyparties.co.uk

Comment

This is pretty good.. also, I adore Tim Minchin... no offence intended ^^
                      You remind me of the babe
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Fyre Faery Queen View Post
                        The thing that bothers me about people's 'belief' in evolution is this idea that someone man is the pinnacle of it. Somehow we are this perfect animal in 'God's' own likeness. Therefore we are no longer evolving. I think the idea that we are more 'like god' than anything else in the animal Kingdom is what seems to give many scientists the lack of conscience or arrogance to play around with nature, and create so much havoc with the natural order. We are an animal, and we continue to evolve along with the rest of them. X
                        This, actually, only applies to people who DO NOT understand evolution. Evolution has no goal, except existence. There is no better or worse, no higher or lower, just existence or extinction.

From an evolutionary standpoint, humans are exactly equal to maggots.

It's when one tosses religion (or some other form of "non-mechanical motivation") into the idea that one gets the idea of the pinnacle of creation...
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Just sort of cool: http://www.dailytimesgazette.com/sci...niverse/24506/
                          sigpic

Comment

From the pet chit chat thread -
                            Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                            It's actually an important part of the intricate non-verbal communication system that dogs have. Seriously.
                            I heard somewhere that many kinds of animals (humans included, though the ability is in sleep mode in many of us), can communicate only by looking inside each other's eyes and transfer different kinds of information. It is present in wolf packs.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

In my thoughts,the idea of Religious "Creation" or the Intelligent Design idea begs the question if intelligent action,then why the kind of hit and miss actions that seem to be the norm in Animals. A perfect designer would mean a perfect product. Evolution seems the better prospect for the hit and miss aspect of all animals end products.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                                From the pet chit chat thread -

I heard somewhere that many kinds of animals (humans included, though the ability is in sleep mode in many of us), can communicate only by looking inside each other's eyes and transfer different kinds of information. It is present in wolf packs.
                                We actually do this - the majority of communication is non-verbal (which is why communication over the internet creates problems).

Here is an interesting article about our unconscious use of smell:

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/...-emotions.html
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X