Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what you doing for Holidays (Yule, Christmas etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what you doing for Holidays (Yule, Christmas etc)

Hello everyone I am making this thread to ask what are you guys doing for the holiday? Whatever It may be

I been celebrating Christmas without the religious side of it since I was a child. Since I have been open to paganism within my family, our family are having a solstice dinner tomorrow on solstice eve but we also celebrate Christmas

So for winter solstice dinner we are having , chicken, chili, corn bread, soup ... and for dessert we are making it magical! People usually made a thing called Plum pudding, (its actually a cake) they would put a ring for long lasting relationship, a thimble for spinsterhood, a silver coin for prosperity, and a wishbone for good luck Whoever found the ring , they would have a long lasting relationship for the year, or the coin they would be lucky in prosperity..etc. however we dont like the sound of plum pudding, so we are making marble cake Our symbols we are using are a coin, a silver four leaf clover, and an old ring.

We are also making spell balls... You decorate it like a Christmas ball but add a couple of items as well of things you want in the new year... such as prosperity and good luck , or happiness for this year... you might put coins for prosperity and then charge it with intent and put it on the tree for it to manifest we are doing this on Christmas eve

Also we are making pomanders... you take an orange and bake it, and then stick cloves in there... they say oranges bring abundance and prosperity, so by having the smell and energy of the orange and clove in your house it brings in prosperity/abundance...

and then back then they would go out to the fields and sing and ring bells to ward off evil spirits of the land to ensure that the crops would turn up plentiful for the up coming year. This is what is now known as those people who go around caroling . To adapt this into your practice you can sing holiday songs, and ring bells and laugh and have a good time to raise the energy vibrations in your home , and the higher the vibration the less negative and "evil" spirits.

Our family is german so it is a tradition that on christmas eve we open up presents... My grandma told me that back then the children would go for a walk as the parents could only decorate the tree and then when they got back they would be surprised by presents and a tree. So since then we open presents and have a dinner on Christmas eve... then on Christmas day we have waffles and have a huge meal.... and spend the day with the family.. if its snowing we go for walks etc and then have another huge meal

I also like to keep in mind that decorating your home with reds and green can be something magical decorating the home in red could bring in love and happiness and joy... or good fortune if you take the Asian meaning of the color red. Also Greens can invoke abundance and prosperity for the upcoming year, but also gold can invite money as well, and white can invoke purity and postivity. You can decorate it with wreaths, ribbons and even plants of these colors
    what do you do on Christmas, Yule, or whatever your holiday may be

Re: what you doing for Holidays (Yule, Christmas etc)

It's my first year without my mother. I have Christmas Day off. I'm going to see Les Mis and treat myself to anything I want that day. It's going to be pamper day for me. I need it.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

(offtopic, yet sincere, to Medusa) My Condolances Medusa on the note of first Christmas without mother. i recall i had hard time on the first christmas without my father as well.

(back on topic) wouldn't know... for now i will probably be stuck at home, trying to stay away from cheesy program of Christmas filled TV. If not i am in hope i might be heading out. Luckily plans for new year are filled already so if i wont come around with Christmas, i am definitely not sparing myself from bad the last day of new year.

Comment

Well Yule is going to be a bit of a bummer this year, the hubby has to work late and he gets sleepy in the afternoons, but I really want to bake something for that day, and its payday, So I can actually do a decent meal!
        Christmas is what our families celebrate though, so Christmas eve will be with my inlaws, they are taking us to a sushi resteraunt, which is... different, also I don't like fish, but I shall try really hard to bloody eat something! Christmas morning for as long as I can remember, my mother's family has gathered at my grandmother's, (aunt's house now, she has more energy than my grandmother) for Christmas brunch and we have eggs benedict, and the ladies in my family get plastered and awkward. My grandmother starts unbuttoning her shirt, and we start hiding the alcohol... (I am immune, because I don't drink mimosas... but we will be bringing a bottle of mead this year...)
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Well, we're broke right now so the Solstice won't be anything spectacular. I'll probably make some spicy incense to burn on the altar and we'll light the candles, of course. I'll fix something nice for dinner. Nothing fancy, but something different. And I want to get the house nice and clean, both physically and spiritually. I might just fill the whole house with pine needle smoke.

As for Christmas, Philip's parents are coming to visit on the Eve and we'll be going to my family's gathering on the Day. Same thing every year, meet at my aunt's bar, open crummy little presents, eat way too much, and play pool. It's still fun in its own way, though.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Then apparently I will be going back to the mother in law's because she will be making a lasagna, and that is the hubby's favorite food ever... But I want to go to my father's mother's and see that grandmother, because this is her first Christmas without her husband, and I feel like we should go and see her... it would become a huge ammount of driving if we were to do that though...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'm doing my usual thing - earning my double time & a half holiday pay. I'll be working Christmas, New Years and my birthday (New Year's Eve).

Woohoo, time to pay off a credit card!
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                I'm doing my usual thing - earning my double time & a half holiday pay. I'll be working Christmas, New Years and my birthday (New Year's Eve).

Woohoo, time to pay off a credit card!
                Christmas happens to fall on a regularly scheduled day off for me, and they don't want to pay me overtime+holiday pay, so I get nothing... yeppers... may as well make the best of my first holiday off of the year...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                  Christmas happens to fall on a regularly scheduled day off for me, and they don't want to pay me overtime+holiday pay, so I get nothing... yeppers... may as well make the best of my first holiday off of the year...
                  If a holiday falls on a regularly scheduled day off, we still get 8 hours straight pay for it. I get the extra time & a half for actually working If we score overtime on a holiday, it's triple time. It's frightening to think of how many times I've worked overtime on a holiday - it's like they either really want to throw money at me or the schedulers are horrible at scheduling (which is the most likely scenario).
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                    If a holiday falls on a regularly scheduled day off, we still get 8 hours straight pay for it. I get the extra time & a half for actually working If we score overtime on a holiday, it's triple time. It's frightening to think of how many times I've worked overtime on a holiday - it's like they either really want to throw money at me or the schedulers are horrible at scheduling (which is the most likely scenario).
                    I got this with my old job... I do not now... But we all would default with the day off, people volunteered for overtime on the holiday, everyone got 8 hours of pay and did not have to work unless they volunteered which gave them an additional set of doubbletime.... I worked all of the ones I could get...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

My youngest daughter is home from college for a few weeks, my older daughter and her hubby will be coming on Friday (weather allowing), and wifey is already there. It's nice to have the family back together, even if only for a few days.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

My boyfriend is coming down to visit for two weeks, starting tomorrow (the solstice!). He'll be pretty wrecked from two days of traveling, so I'm going to have mulled cider ready for when he arrives, and some winter veggie soup. Then later in the evening, we're going to go dig the snow out of the firepit and decorate and burn the yule log, and then mull some wine. No rituals, or anything fancy. He's not pagan, but he's willing to celebrate anything I wish to do for the sabbats.

For Christmas, neither one of us are going home, so we're just going to have our own little christmas up here. We've been invited to my roommate's parent's house for a big dinner, but that's about it.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Feltrand View Post
                          (offtopic, yet sincere, to Medusa) My Condolances Medusa on the note of first Christmas without mother. i recall i had hard time on the first christmas without my father as well.
                          Thank you. So far I've been able to think happy thoughts with only the slight twinge of regret. As someone with bi polar, I'm vigilant in not letting my sanity slip. I've made a point to throw myself into festivities. I've organized two Secret Santa gift exchanges with my jobs. And I've planned and hosted a big holiday party as well. I suggest anyone who is struggling this holiday, to embrace the holiday and the joy of the spirit of it.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I don't celebrate Christmas and we don't have holidays!

Click image for larger version

Name:	492af57403ba2999d93575cc92a0faae.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	351593
                            [4:82]

Comment

Whatever Mr Penry does, you can be sure his celebrations will include a bonfire....
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X