Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aleister Crowley - real deal or just made-up gibberish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aleister Crowley - real deal or just made-up gibberish?

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
    He probably avoided dark alleys himself. XD
    It's funny because it's plausible.

Comment

I actually feel sorry for Alistair Crowley, the tragic loss of his child clearly had a lasting effect on him, and then to fall foul of drug addiction after medical treatment.. Aside from the occasional "trolling" he seemed ok.

Comment

I've been very interested in the writing surrounding the original Golden Dawn for a while now. I read a copy of Diary of a Drug Fiend many a year ago. With it came some questions regarding Crowley and his ideals. I find him interesting, to say the least. Tied to something greater, almost positively. A little bit of a drug addled kook? Sure, why not.

Comment

I'd say that a lot of his occult writing was the real deal, but unfortunately he had an inflated sense of self.

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
            I'd say that a lot of his occult writing was the real deal, but unfortunately he had an inflated sense of self.
            Ceremonial magic needs a good dose of ego to be successful. One has to impress the spirits, demons, angels and other entities being summoned.

In other words, 'when someone asks you if you're a God, you tell them YES'!! ;-)
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
              Ceremonial magic needs a good dose of ego to be successful. One has to impress the spirits, demons, angels and other entities being summoned.

In other words, 'when someone asks you if you're a God, you tell them YES'!! ;-)
              I was always taught that sort of pretentiousness makes not only a bit miffed, but less likely to help you out.

Comment

I was always taught that sort of pretentiousness makes not only a bit miffed, but less likely to help you out.
                One of the lasting things I took from my days in ceremonial magic is the old adage "speak softly and carry a big stick".
                When using some invocations you have to make it clear that if you are not equal to the spirit, then you better be able to cajole/ coerce it into cooperating through other means ( ancillary pacts with other spirits etc).

Comment

With many entities, it's not pretentiousness - you have to believe that you are a God or they will see through your ruse and pick out all your little fears and insecurities and leave you a huddled mass on the floor. You have to flood them with your confidence and ego so they know they can't challenge your self-worth or self-esteem.

Ever wonder why so many ceremonialists are such asses, and outright sociopaths? You have to have full conviction of just how much more wonderful you are than the rest of the world.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic discord View Post
                    One of the lasting things I took from my days in ceremonial magic is the old adage "speak softly and carry a big stick".
                    When using some invocations you have to make it clear that if you are not equal to the spirit, then you better be able to cajole/ coerce it into cooperating through other means ( ancillary pacts with other spirits etc).
                    Unless you are a Satanist. Then you are equal. And better. We can't go asking for magic if we are mere humble bugs. We have to be our magic. Of course, as a Satanist....this is all mumbo jumbo. But if we are going to suspend intellect for primality, we have to imagine ourselves at our best. Confident, strong, Godlike.

That's just one view.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

You see, even most ceremonialists are too weak to even consider doing that. Also trying to brow beat a divine being into doing what you want is impossible if you're invoking a deity. A being of that power could will you into oblivion. it's also not wise to try and force them no matter what they are. That gets the universe miffed at you for being class a jerk. You get more favors by making friends. You seem to be forgetting that these things can already see through your disguise no matter how convincing. All spirits have a signature and the human one is distinct from all other beings. You would have to be able to alter the weather just by thinking about it to even consider trying such a foolish thing. If humans were truly so powerful then things would be a lot different. One impresses most by being genuine. You impress them by showing understanding and your knowledge of your true personal divinity, not by pretending to be that which you are not. Lies only sew animosity. The act of the spell itself should impress. Love will win you far more favor in the end.
                      Last edited by Riothamus12; 25 Jul 2013, 20:59.

Comment

Working...
                      X