The Goddess Freyja

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Goddess Freyja

One way I connect with her is to do a short prayer/invocation before a Rune reading. Making it personal!

Comment

Perhaps no other Goddess in Heathenry is so loved and also so often misunderstood as the Goddess Freya. She is an incredibly complex Goddess very often relegated solely to the realm of love and sex. She is most definitely a Goddess of sexual pleasure, eroticism, and desire, but She is also a Goddess of ritual sacrifice, seidr, magic, wealth, prosperity, abundance, ancestral veneration, warcraft, and power. These are not minor facets of Her nature either. So potent is Her Prowess in battle that it is Freya, not Odin who claims the first half of the slain warriors for Her hall. She is a gloriously beautiful Goddess and Her beauty is equal to her power.

The name Freya means "Lady," but she has many other heiti including: Syr ("Sow"-the pig was a holy animal to the Germanic folk. It represented both battle prowess and fertile abundance. Freya shares this attribute with Her brother Freyer.), Mardoll (possibly "One Who Makes the Sea Swell"), and Gefn ("Giver"). Her home is called Flkvangr ("Field of the Folk"), and within it she maintains a great hall named Sessrumnir ("many-roomed hall"). She rides in a chariot drawn by some type of feline. Most Heathens assume these to be cats, but speculations range from cougars to lynx to wolverine.

.....Freya is the Patrioness of unmarried women who go to Her hall when they die. She is also the priestess of the Gods, charged with maintaining the rites and making proper sacrifices for the Divine community. As seidr worker, Freya is credited with bringing the practice of this form of magic, which involves trance work, mind control, and luck working to the Aesir. She was also by her very presence amongst the Aesir, a frith-weaver, having been sent from Vanaheim to secure peace with the Aesir. (Exploring the Northern Tradition by Galina Krasskova)

Hail Freya the Mighty Warrior Goddess. Goddess of Magic, sex, and passion may my heart beat to Her name, Freya Freya

Comment

A few more tidbits...

She doesn't just take half those slain in battle, she takes fist pick. It's thought that she takes all the women who aren't otherwise sworn to someone else. She gets to choose her half first and Othinn gets those sworn to him and whoever is left over. She spends part of the year in Vanaheim with her mother, which is where most of her duties as goddess of fertility and abundance are performed. She is as much about seidhr and magick as she is fertility, sex and battle. She taught Othinn everything he knows about seidhr - without her help, he wouldn't have those skills. She was given to the Aesir as a hostage as part of the peace-brokering but has been accepted into the ranks of the Asynjur and sits on the Aesir council.

Like the other posters, my info comes from various online and book sources. I have books from Thorsson, Gundarsson, Krasskova, Aswynn, The Troth and various others... I couldn't tell you which bit of info comes from which book lol.

Comment

Working...
        X