Year end/New Year divination fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year end/New Year divination fun!

I have a long habit of using divination at a year's end or years beginning, this is going to vary depending on your trad, but for me it's a birthday and New year's eve practice.

When I had bonfires handy molybdomancy was a favorite. It involved lead, MOLTEN lead which is very exciting but also requires careful handling.

I'd purchase a bunch of lead fishing weights or lead shot, find a large can and some tongs. While everything is still cold, bend the can in a manner than allows it to be picked up pretty securely with the tongs. Get a large hot mitt or the like as well.

After the fire has been burning awhile and there are some hot coals, put the lead into the can. Get a bucket or large can of cold water. When the lead is melted pick up the can with the tongs and pour it into the cold water. Some people like to ask a question, or concentrate, or say a blessing over the molten lead...then after a minute, take the hardened bits of lead out and "read" them. The person first reads for themselves, responding to the shapes and images they see, they can ask for interpretation from others if they choose.

Then, toss the bits back in and remelt them for the next person. Wash hands well, since lead is toxic.

When no fire is handy, or a safer indoor alternative, do a similar practice with wax poured into a saucer of cold water. Not as fun as pouring red molten lead into cold water and hearing the hiss and seeing the steam, but cool just the same and each person can burn their own candle and take their wax home if they choose.

another I like is to set up some mirrors so I can see the reflection of one in the other, if you do it JUST right you can see a reflection in a reflection in a reflection on and on.

I've read that this should be done by candle light, but I have never been able to see past two reflections unless in full light...but I get set up, get many many reflections going, then allow my eyes to go slightly out of focus, quiet my mind and see what I see.

One last easy one is ink splotching.

Paint or food color works just as well. Each person gets a piece of white paper, sprinkles, drops or pours ink, paint or food coloring as they feel moved, folds the paper in half (again, they can ask a question, say a blessing, whatever) then opens it and reads their splotch.

These are really fun to do at gatherings! but are also meaningful when done alone.

Re: Year end/New Year divination fun!

Wow I've never thought of melting metal as a means of divination, interesting! I've always used heat, but more in the form of steam or flames. My dad's big into fishing, I may have to see if he has any old weights I can use Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I guess lead works well since it melts at a reletively low temp, it would be fun to do with something slightly less toxic though, and be able to keep the finished piece, or pieces, so I do like the wax idea. The mirror one I have done before myself too and am actually quite fond of! Have not tried ink splotching though!
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

You can get lead free pewter. I've purchased it on ebay, that will melt in bonfire/charcoal grill temps. I've used it when teaching students to pour metal. Then the pieces could be easily and safely kept, it's a bit pricier but not out of range, and it is a very pretty bright silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Threshold View Post
          You can get lead free pewter. I've purchased it on ebay, that will melt in bonfire/charcoal grill temps. I've used it when teaching students to pour metal. Then the pieces could be easily and safely kept, it's a bit pricier but not out of range, and it is a very pretty bright silver.
          I may try this, I think I have some old broken pewter pieces...
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
          X