looking for historic information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for historic information

I have been for years trying to figure a few things out, and I can never tell if scources are good or if people are just talking from between nothing.
    Mostly I am looking for information regarding the Goddess Bast
    I have found conflicting info about her, some of it saying that she is a moon goddess, some saying she is not, (I imagine some of this comes from syncretist trads, but I cannot personally disentangle them.)
    I have read some say she is an aspect of another goddess, and then some say she is not, the trouble I am running into is i am getting a mis mash of info that is both UPG and historical, and I am really just looking for some historic info, as much as exists about older practices, I am looking for a point to start, so I am not nessecarily looking to recreate any sort of practice. I am just looking for a better jumping off point... If anyone has anything I would largely appreciate it!

( I should mention that all of my resources tend to be books because I never know if the stuff I get online is worth very much, but would welcome internet resources.)
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Re: looking for historic information

I can tell you right off the bat the only time you'll see a Kemetic deity associated with the moon are males. There's a long, boring explanation for that but it boils down to the moon was seen as borrowing the light from the sun. Any time you see the Kemetic goddesses as lunar deities just toss the source because they're going off of Greek adaptations.

The Ancient Egyptians were big on syncretism, so She's seen as a form of at least Sekhmet. This will also vary depending on the region and time period.

So how to sort it out. First, look to see if the source in question cites sources. If not leave it alone. If you feel confident in asking for sources, you can do that too. As a rule of thumb beware of folks who use Budge, Rosemary Clark (she uses lots of Wiccan and Hermetic influences, even though she claims it's "factual"...I'll save that tirade for later), and de Lubicz. Also, use google scholar. It's not perfect, but it gives you a start.

Sorry to self-plug, but I have a blog post that discusses researching at least online. Lots of the methods to research online are the same as researching books.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a link to Bast from a site I enjoy that should give you a good foundation.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

Thanks, that clears a few things up for me, but some surprises me too! Some of my books must be better scources than I had previously thought...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
        Thanks, that clears a few things up for me, but some surprises me too! Some of my books must be better scources than I had previously thought...
        Now you've piqued my interest. Which books do you have?
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
          Now you've piqued my interest. Which books do you have?
          I will have to list them when I get home...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
          X