Solitary practionar or coven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solitary practionar or coven

Well, do you like practicing magick by yourself, or with a coven?

I personally like solitary because, I just feel more better (I guess you could say) by myself when doing magick. Though I have never really have been in a coven because people in my town people mainly fear, hate, or disbelieve in magick.

Re: Solitary practionar or coven

I've never had much interest in using magick per say, but I can tell you that you can raise a lot more energy for rituals if you have a group and a good priest or priestess leading it.

Comment

Not a group person. I occasionally work with my sister and a friend but nine times out of ten, I work alone.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I see your point Moirlend. For rituals, cermonies, and or spells that require a high amount of energy a coven, or a few people would be nice to have. Though I am really a "lonely by choice" person so being solitary is good for me. I would like to work magick with another person some time just to see what it is like, but other than that I want to work by myself most of the time.

Comment

I fully understand I have spent most of time being solitary. I was in a group for about 6 months when I was in the service. The thing that I enjoyed about being in a group was the camaraderie and the high I would get anytime we got together as a group.

Comment

All witches, by definition, are solitary in my tradition.

I've never felt comfortable sharing my workings with others, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOneInTheShadows View Post
              Well, do you like practicing magick by yourself, or with a coven?

Comment

I was in a coven for about a year and a half, but I got into a relationship with the High Priestess. She dumps me and I get kicked out of the coven by her lol. Still pretty good friends with the other coven members. Teenager covens are volatile. I've gotten lazy in my practice as well.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Solitary. Nobody I know is interested in the occult or spirituality, so it's all me right now. I've thought about seeking out local groups, but I've heard so many horror stories about drama and infighting that I'm rather put off.

Comment

Solitary, for sure. I am not much of a people person and I do things a specific way. I don't think I'd work well in a group, though I know of ones in my area.
                    Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Alot of wht I do I do because it works for me, and that makes my practice constantly evolving. It would be confusing for a group, and I often have trouble playing with others... Hence-->solitary
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I've been in groups in the past, and really it's just not for me. Dealing with egotistical leaders, lack of structure and focus, disagreeing with some of the core practices/beliefs of the group, or just finding myself too self-conscious to really get the full benefit from it... I don't mind joining up with others on occasion, but the bulk of my practice is solitary by my own choice.
                        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                          I've been in groups in the past, and really it's just not for me. Dealing with egotistical leaders, lack of structure and focus, disagreeing with some of the core practices/beliefs of the group, or just finding myself too self-conscious to really get the full benefit from it... I don't mind joining up with others on occasion, but the bulk of my practice is solitary by my own choice.
                          Well, honestly, this is why the OBOD idea sparked my interest, it seemed focused on inclusive earth-based spirituality rather than liturgy and doctrine, and so seemed it might be a comfortable group focus for people with varied interests. I have since decided that I actually seek something similar that makes no pretense of druidry. I do want to spiritually engage with others in a way that accords each his/her own understanding.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                            I do want to spiritually engage with others in a way that accords each his/her own understanding.
                            Even though I enjoy staying solitary, that sounds like a lovely idea.

Comment

The problem there is some times such groups lack enough structure. For example, if everyone is from different traditions, trying to put together a ritual that everyone can relate to becomes hard, and you run the risk or ending up with something too 'generic' that's not very fulfilling. Often times I see such mixed groups just adapt Wiccan-ish ritual structure, holidays, and so on, when that doesn't do very much for a lot of people. Now it's different if the group just tends to meet up more for study, support, and the like - but with an actual working group it can be a problem. It's hard, at least for myself, to find something that's really got the good balance of being flexible enough, but not having lost all specifics.
                              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Working...
                              X