Undies n Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undies n Things

To discuss bras, panties, lingerie and the like.

So, I want to ask the fellow ladies of the forum (if you are comfortable enough to answer) where you prefer to buy yours? Do you like the name brands like Victoria's Secret, Frederick's of Hollywood, Nordstrom's etc or do you just get whatever you fancy from whence you see it such as Walmart, Fred Meyer, Costco (do they even sell ladies underwear like Bras and Panties?), Target and other department stores?

I used to prefer getting my Bras from Frederick's but I've also been partial to Lane Bryant. I've never had luck nor liked the prices of VS and usually don't like the styles or support that Walmart stores offer. But I'm kind of looking for a new angle and some opinions of where the ladies here get theirs and what they tend to look for first before checking out the price tag.

And I thought about putting this into the Adult section, but... let's face it. Teen girls need bra's too and it's not like we're doing a 'Show and Tell' so to speak.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Undies n Things

Frederick's of Hollywood has some cute stuff, but every time I've ordered something from them (including something for my wedding night) they've screwed me over. Granted, I was buying online (because at the time I was working 50 hour weeks, every week, and I worked from 1pm to somewhere between 11pm and 2am). It also took me about a year and 30 emails to get them to take "me" off their mailing list even though I told them explicitly not to send ANYTHING to that address. If it weren't for the customer service, they'd be alright. It's probably fine if you go into the physical store to shop, but now I just hold a grudge. :P

Most of my coworkers swear by Vicky's (and are former employees of Vicky's), but they are rather expensive.

Honestly, when it comes to everyday undergarments, I go with JC Penny's. When it comes to the more flirtatious items, there are a few websites I tend to peruse:

Sexy-yet-elegant lingerie awaits you at Lingerie Diva, where you’ll find plus-size lingerie, sexy costumes, hosiery and more.

Web Work is Under Construction. for more info plz contact cs@thefashioncorsetshop.com

Never had an issue with these two.

As for what I look for, I have a rather scrawny and hard-to-fit body type because I'm vertically challenged. Sitting at 5'0, being miniature, and weighing 94 lbs it can be a challenge finding clothes that are made for people taller (bra straps often need to be adjustable, yadda yadda). I look for quality, if I can tell it was sewn poorly then I won't bother even if it's $3. I only buy certain styles because of my build, and I absolutely make sure they have a return policy (not an exchange policy).

Walmart, Target, Costco, etc... typically have very unflattering styles unless you're a 12 year old girl, so no thanks. Even if I don't have plans for the night, I still have to look at it! And you don't go through a full working day feeling awesome if you're undergarments are making you feel like a 300 year old sag queen.

Comment

To be perfectly honest, I wear Nike's compression athletic sports bras most days, because I'm sporting DD's and I'm (normally) athletic. For those days when I don't want a uniboob, I have two bras I bought recently at Victoria's Secret. Oh, and one random sports bra I bought in India when my only bra broke. It's...it's got a brand. I don't even remember it. Comfy as heck, though.

Undies go two ways: quirky and nerdy, or just your usual fruit-of-the-loom cotton bikinis. Oh, and I own three pairs of merino wool underwear, and they are seriously the bee's knees.

Mostly art.

Comment

If, like me, you have always been rather curvy, well, I don't need a bra so much as scaffolding. So I like Triumph's Doreen. It's very comfortable (many large size bras have straps that are too narrow) and fits well which means my clothes look better.

Alternatively, I suppose I could settle for a couple of medium sized buckets....
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I get my bras from Torrid. Obviously because I worked there for so long. And thankfully I had to learn to do the bra sizing thing. I like their plunging bra. It's perfect for work and giving my bewbies cute cleavage! As for undies? I can only wear cotton. I haz no butt. So silky things slide right off. I have 'work' undies and then every day ones. Work are usually fruit of the loom low rise. I like them because my jeans are skinny low rise. Can't stand panties poking out. Then everything else is a basic cotton thong. Especially to bed.

I do have a non wire sports bra I picked up for a few bucks. I just wear it in the summer when it's hot and I need to sleep. I hate bewbies sticking to each other.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Good point about cotton undies, Medusa. Especially if, like some people, you are prone to getting pilonoidal sinus problems on the spine (this is where you get a cyst build up near the coccyx or tailbone.) Extremely painful, believe me. And a lot of people have this 'hole in the skin' on their spine without even realising it. Then when sweat, hair, dead skin etc build up (yes, I know this is disgusting stuff when we're talking about pretty underwear but please bear with me cos I'm on a mission here....) they get trapped via the tiny hole and eventually build up into one ghastly cyst.

Many people don't realise how cotton undies seem to reduce the risks - they keep the skin much cooler and seem to lower the risk of getting one of these horrors. I know not everyone gets them (thankfully) but there are an awful lot of people who just don't realise they potentially do have this problem.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I get bras from Fredericks (I'm not a VS fan), sports bras from target (they have a nice target brand that is comparable with brand names and come in funky colors), and underoos from walmart (because they are cheaper)...
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

I used to buy at VS, then not only did I run out of enough money to shop there, (way expensive) but they local store does not carry anything bigger than a D... and that just don't fit the ladies... Within the last year I have found a lovely set of Bras at Kohls, they were like $25 a pop and they had lace and sparkles and they have enough space that I can still wear plunging sexy shirts, the straps are nice and wide, and they give me a good bit of lift which I need My ladies are not to be tamed. There is no underwire, and I bloody detest underwires, the padding is just enough that I don't have headlight flashy flashy problems, I love them! They are even comfy enough that I forget that I absolutely hate wearing bras and don't remember to take them off... as for the brand it was definitely something I have never seen before shopping in Kohls; Vanity Fair.

Undies I buy cotton low cut bikinis at BJ's cause I like plain simple cotton undies... I don't wear the slinky stuff, or lace, or even thongs, I got too much booty.
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  If, like me, you have always been rather curvy, well, I don't need a bra so much as scaffolding. So I like Triumph's Doreen. It's very comfortable (many large size bras have straps that are too narrow) and fits well which means my clothes look better.

Alternatively, I suppose I could settle for a couple of medium sized buckets....
                  LMAO @ "scaffolding"!! Same here. I usually wear Playtex bras that have wide shoulder straps with some kind of gel in them. Undies are Hanes-Her-Way cotton Hi-Cuts. Pretty simple.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I'd love to buy the pretty lacy etc undies, but monies are a factor. Also not having anyone to wear them for

Mostly I just get mine from the high street. 32D is a really hard size to find for bras. Knickers usually come in a pack of six, cotton.
                    ~J

"The very young do not always do as they are told."

Comment

I have one booby that is an A cup and one booby that is not yet an A cup.

So I wear sports bras if I have to, or else go without. My poor boobies don't attract any attention or looks anyway so it doesn't really matter what I do with them. They're not for show, heh.
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post

So I wear sports bras if I have to, or else go without. My poor boobies don't attract any attention or looks anyway so it doesn't really matter what I do with them. They're not for show, heh.
                        I wish I could go braless. I try to sometimes, but I usually end of feeling weird and sweaty, or I get sore. I'm a fan of halter tops and stuff though, which don't really do anything for support, but at least keep them sitting in roughly one spot.

Mostly art.

Comment

I love Aerie, their stuff is usually pretty affordable and tends to not fall apart on me. And it's cute stuff. I love me some boy-shorts. As for bras, I'd love to go without but I get all self-conscious about nipples showing (I don't know why, it doesn't bother me when it happens to other women.) I do have a few shirts with a built in...boob pocket? I dunno, just extra fabric around the chest so you can go braless. I love those shirts.
                          My Tumblr
                          My Webcomic
                          My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post

You and me both, sister. I can't really go braless because my nipples tend to be... prominent, shall we say, and when I don't wear a bra my breasts just look even smaller. I usually get my bras at Wal-Mart, though they are almost always a bit too big for me. There isn't much in the way of lingerie for the boob challenged (Though if there is, any suggestions would be appreciated). I must admit, I get a little jealous when I go out with my more endowed friends to help them pick out Victoria's Secret and the like. But hey, it is what it is, and I get my share of attention regardless. My boobs just aren't my strong suit.
                            I can have a little more fun with panties, though. I enjoy shopping for sexy underwear every now and then

Comment

Victoria's Secret. If I buy my DD bras anywhere else, the wires jab into my sides :x

Comment

Working...
                              X