Large File Issue (IT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large File Issue (IT)

Sorry to make a whole new thread but the tech thread seems to have locked down now.

I'm having an issue with sending a video to a friend so he can edit it and use it on his youtube channel. It is just over 15 minutes long and something like 2.26 MB. If I try to attach it to an email 'File too large'. So Wes suggested I use 4shared. 'You cannot upload files larger than 2 MB'. I tell Wes and he says as though calling BS, that he's used this site for years and it allows up to 15 GB with the free membership. I'm not lying, computer says no!! It then tells me if I want to upload larger files I have to pay for premium membership, then I see the sites description 'upload files up to 15 MB for free'. So I try again, same message, 'you cannot upload files larger than 2 MB'.

JP then tells me that most computers come with a basic video editing tool that would let me cut it into two smaller files. Well, not my computer. My computer doesn't even let me have my own desktop wallpaper and I don't know enough about computers to know what I need to do, buy, install, to change this (but that's another issue).

So.. help!! Is there maybe free software that would let me cut this file into smaller parts? Or is anyone savvy with 4shared and knows why it is bullying me and not letting me play the same games the other kids can?

I tried to upload the video to youtube yesterday so he could at least see it. It took 6 hours to upload only to be rejected as being too large. I have verified my account to allow me unlimited video space now and I'm uploading again. So would he be able to copy the video directly from youtube? It must be possible because I've seen haters and trolls copy people's videos and edit them. But I know haters and trolls tend to have no friends or constructive hobbies so have the free time to learn how to do all kinds of odd things like that.

I'm totally stuck. I like the video. Well, there are bits that need to be cut out, but I dunno.. compared to hungover, puffy eyed, last night's makeup Jem that was on the new years vid, I look kinda cute in this one. Bright eyed, bushy tailed and all enthusiastic about a topic I'm passionate about!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Large File Issue (IT)

About the only thing I can think of is to put it into a compressed file (also known as a 'zipped' file).

If you're both using Windows, it has (or should have) compression. For XP/Vista/Win7, if you right-click on a folder or item, in the menu it should say 'Send To', and in that list should be an option for 'Compressed Folder'. However, I just tried it with a 2.4 MB video I have and the compressed folder was 2.39MB. So, your success rate on that may vary.

There are programs out there like 'WinZIP' that can be used, but when sending the file, you've got to make sure your friend can open the file on his end. Meaning he's got to have a program that can open .zip or .rar or whatever type of file your compression program creates.

These are free ones (usually trial/'freeware') programs: http://download.cnet.com/windows/file-compression/
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

You can get 2GB free if you sign up for Dropbox and you can share links with just the person you want to share it with so it's not all public.

Dropbox helps you simplify your workflow. So you can spend more time in your flow.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Oh cool! I'll have a go at zipping the file now and see if that works. If it doesn't like zipped files for some reason, I'll try drop box. Wes was able to get the video directly from youtube in the end, but I'm going to be sending him a lot of content soon and simply don't have the time to upload every larger file to youtube.

Thanks so much for the advice. It's been really helpful!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
          You can get 2GB free if you sign up for Dropbox and you can share links with just the person you want to share it with so it's not all public.

https://www.dropbox.com/
          Yes...Dropbox is great!

Comment

Working...
          X