What was this dream about? horned god related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was this dream about? horned god related

I'm am new to paganism, haven't specifically chosen a path quite yet and I'm doing a ton of research.

Last night I was looking into the horned God, (honestly because every depiction of him looks so darn cool). In my findings I discovered the similarities between him and the depiction of 'Satan'.

This was an epiphany for me, I finally made up my mind about Hell and decided that I no longer fear/believe in it. Because most (all?) Pagan traditions are much older than the general concept of Christianity.

... I don't think I'm making any since. I am so terrible at describing my thoughts and putting them in order.

Anyway, last night I was in a 'half' sleep, I was stuck between consciousnesses. and I had images of (what I will call in this case) Satan, It didn't last long at all, and it terrified me. I went to bed happy and relieved and excited that I may have found a deity. And then, pun intended, all hell broke loose.

What do you think this is about?

Re: What was this dream about? horned god related

Originally posted by Jadine View Post
    Because most (all?) Pagan traditions are much older than the general concept of Christianity.
    Many, but not all. There are also many cases where paganism and Christianity blended and borrowed from each other, so at times it can be hard to tell what's a pre-Christian concept, and what may have been influenced by Christianity - depends on specifically what culture/time frame you're looking at. There are also some totally new traditions, such as Wicca, which borrow some old ideas and mix them with a lot of newer ideas and practices.

Anyway, last night I was in a 'half' sleep, I was stuck between consciousnesses. and I had images of (what I will call in this case) Satan, It didn't last long at all, and it terrified me. I went to bed happy and relieved and excited that I may have found a deity. And then, pun intended, all hell broke loose.
    My guess? The subconscious is a powerful thing, and it doesn't always let go of ideas or images quickly. Chances are, if hell is something you've been brought up with, then it's not something that's just going to disappear from your mind so easily. This could represent a lingering fear of hell, or even a subconscious fear of stepping off a familiar path into something new. (Even if you're also happy and excited to do this, for many there is also some fear or worry, and that's normal.)
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I think it's likely just your brain and imagination running away with your depiction of the horned god and satan being similar. I don't follow Cerrnunnos, but it's my understanding that he can sometimes be a darker god, and early depictions of Satan actually came from him.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Gardenia beat me to posting. Her advice is better than mine anyhow!

Mostly art.

Comment

Once again, thank you Gardenia,
        thank you to volcaniclastic.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
          Gardenia beat me to posting. Her advice is better than mine anyhow!
          Nah, what you say is very possible, too! That's the problem with dreams, could mean a variety of different things, or even could just be nothing much at all.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Dreams have so many different ways to be understanded in, so I think it's more up to you, to decide what you think the dream was about, than following our advices. Not to say that the advices are bad, they can actually be a lot of helpful, but to find out what the real meaning or purpose of your dream, is something you must do yourself.
            ~ flowers are our only garments
            only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

I think Gardenia was spot-on. The subconscious retains emotions and especially fears for longer than we realize. Something you consciously feel you're completely over can come back to haunt you years later. It's part of your development and nothing to get distraught over.

Also, Volcanic is right, Cernunnos isn't always a kind fellow. He is an embodiment of deep, primal instinct tempered with shamanistic discipline. Learning to get in touch with your base animal instincts is seldom a pleasant experience.
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
              X