Disable Java!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disable Java!

Seriously, there's a major security hole in it.

my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Re: Disable Java!

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
    Seriously, there's a major security hole in it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ility/1828011/
    Yes, I learned this last year from Leo Laporte the Tech Guy podcast. I removed it from my win7. I also have it disabled from my Chrome in plugins. I haven't even updated it. I'm still in 6.3.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      Yes, I learned this last year from Leo Laporte the Tech Guy podcast. I removed it from my win7. I also have it disabled from my Chrome in plugins. I haven't even updated it. I'm still in 6.3.
      Yeah, this is a security hole dating back to god knows when. In other words, you're still at risk. While I'm hearing from my brother (he has a degree in computer science) that disabling plug-ins in the browser should be enough I'm hearing about how it should be uninstalled altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the info that says it is earlier than Java 7.
      my etsy store
      My blog

to descend."

Comment

Yeah, this is a security hole dating back to god knows when. In other words, you're still at risk. While I'm hearing from my brother (he has a degree in computer science) that disabling plug-ins in the browser should be enough I'm hearing about how it should be uninstalled altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the info that says it is earlier than Java 7.
        It seems I can't un install it from the Chrome browser. All my search came up with was disabling it. Though I did uninstall it from win. Do you have a link to uninstall on Chrome?

Comment

I'll see if I can find anything, but it seems all I'm finding is the same problem with Chrome :|
          my etsy store
          My blog

to descend."

Comment

If you have Java 7, and you leave it enabled, you're too stupid to be on the internet. I don't care if you wanna go deepwebz; write an i2p implementation yourself in C++ or STFU.

This sploit is at a US-CERT rating of 10.0 on the 10 point scale. Keep using java, and you're asking for someone take your computer from you while you use it. True story.

However, this ONE bug only applies to Java 7.

Then, there's also this collection of FOUR 9.3 rated sploits:
            CVE-2012-4820
            CVE-2012-4821
            CVE-2012-4822
            CVE-2012-4823

These vulnerabilities apply to ALL java installations - from the most recent, through those back about a DECADE. Whether you use the Sun/IBM or Oracle fork, all four of these apply to you.

No, these are not misconfiguration problems. These are either terrible coding and design, or possibly even some disgruntled code-monkey putting in his own backdoor to screw the company.

Threatpost, is an independent news site which is a leading source of information about IT and business security for hundreds of thousands of professionals worldwide.

All of these were discovered in the last 48 hours.

And oh look! exploit kits (that any child can download and use!) already have an attack for these implemented. As they say in the Linux Community - "Happy Hacking!"
            Last edited by AzazelEblis; 11 Jan 2013, 22:14.
            "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
            http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
            "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
            http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
            "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
            http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Medusa, seems that's all it allows. Otherwise this link seems to tell you how.
              my etsy store
              My blog

to descend."

Comment

...I installed java, for the first time mind you, last thursday! No lie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	batman.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	351606
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Ive never had a reason to put it on my PC at home, and the one at work seems to want my permission every bloody day to turn it on, but its admin locked. I told the admin he should take it off the computer if he doesnt want it there, it slows everything down in the morning when I restart the computer, he said no, that does'nt make sense...
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

How much stuff is going to stop working if I uninstall Java, et al. from my PC?

Guess I'll uninstall it and find out... if you don't see me for awhile, you'll know why :P
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                      How much stuff is going to stop working if I uninstall Java, et al. from my PC?

Guess I'll uninstall it and find out... if you don't see me for awhile, you'll know why :P
                      I think that's part of the reason my brother suggested just disabling it in your browser (not javascript, java).
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

to descend."

Comment

java has always been something of a hodge podge of programming,and has been problematic from its first inception.
                        My browser(SeaMonkey) using no script to turn off java and only allow it if I choose to run it. The problem is Java seems to be everywhere on most sites.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think that's part of the reason my brother suggested just disabling it in your browser (not javascript, java).
                          I've got a lot of runtime packages & whatnots installed. I haven't bothered to educate myself on any of my program dependencies.
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I actually went into my Programs and googled each one before I deleted it. I'm pretty crap free now. Yay!

Comment

Working...
                            X