Starting a small Herb garden.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a small Herb garden.

So I have been studying herbalism for a while and I want to try my hand in it. For me, I figure the best way to start is to grow my own little garden. This way it is more personal and what I make already has my touch, so to speak. I am low on money so I can't really just go buy herbs to use. However, I am kind of stuck on what would be the best herbs to grow when first starting out. I want something small mostly to make teas with, for when I don't feel so well. Herbs that can ease colds and help fend off the flu as well as promote good health in the body. I'd be an indoor herb garden. Window-sill style.

I figured I'd come and ask people with more experience on the topic. So, suggestions?

Also, if I am going about this the wrong way, feel free to correct me and suggest another route to take.

Thank you!
    Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Re: Starting a small Herb garden.

Growing a herb garden can be very rewarding. I'm making plans for my own now, since my work just started getting seeds in. (this year we got chamomile! I'm so excited!) If you want many herbs a window sill garden can be challenging. Maybe grow some things inside and have a bigger garden outside? Also, if you have cats, they love certain herbs, so you may wake up in the morning and everything will be chewed on.

Good luck!

Comment

I do have cats but they arn't allowed in certain parts of the house. I really am only looking for a few herbs. 3-5. Simple ones I can use to help myself be healthier and just get started. If it works out really well, I hope to have an outside large garden!

Good luck on your own garden planning.

Comment

three to five should be fine in a window garden, ^^
        I wish you well.

Comment

Hi Domiel. I wish you success with your herb garden! I am currently researching herbalism. I have found http://www.container-gardening-for-f...ism-guide.html to be quite informative. There's an article on infusions. Also, one of the forum members, Thalassa, has a very good guide on a range of herbs in her blog. I'm growing herbs to use mainly in cooking, but I'm interested to hear about what you learn if you ever feel like sharing!

Comment

Growing a herbal garden sounds like a fine idea!
            I've also wanted to grow more herbals myself, but I never really got started. So for now, I mostly own herbs in dried form.

But good luck with the garden!!
            ~ flowers are our only garments
            only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

You will never hear me tell some one to not start a garden of any type! Happy gardening!

So for what it is worth:

1) Be sure to choose things that like being indoors and in pots. Rosemary really does not. I am not certain there is any sunny place that mint won't grow, and it is a lovely tea for tummies (your cats want you to know that catnip is in the mint family). If you decide to move the mint outdoors be careful to keep it contained. Chives and basil do well in pots, though not sure about tea usage. If you keep the chives trimmed they will keep putting up flowers, which imo are the tastiest part of the plant and make a beautiful presentation. Chives will need to be separated every few years, though, but that just makes a lovely gift for a friend. So, anyway, just do the research so that you aren't struggling with some one who does not like being in a container.

2) Don't take it personally if one (or more) of your new friends takes sick and/or dies. That's the way it goes. I actually say out loud every time I plant something, "You will live or you won't." We may like the idea that it is entirely in our human hands, but truly it is not.

3) Don't discount the herbal garden that is already outside. A tea of green pine needles and wild rose hips, both available right now if you've got any wild spaces nearby, is a lovely winter tea packing a mega-dose of vitamin C. When wildcrafting be sure the plant is a good 10 feet from roads and in an area not sprayed.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                If you decide to move the mint outdoors be careful to keep it contained.
                This is good advice!! I grew mint in a raised garden bed and was not diligent enough. It ended up growing in my lawn.
                Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                I am not certain there is any sunny place that mint won't grow, and it is a lovely tea for tummies
                There are so many varieties of mint, as well! The last nursery I visited sold me chocolate mint which I'm hoping will make a nice tea. I could have also bought an apple, pineapple or orange variety as well. Though I'm not sure what I think about mint with citrus!

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice! Much appreciated.

Comment

I want to start a herb garden, my biggest worries is keeping things like yard critters away from it. That and my front yard is just an ugly breeding ground for weeds and I'm worried that spraying weed killer will contaminate the plants. An indoor garden is just out of the question since I have no room.

Comment

Originally posted by JackofPens View Post
                      I want to start a herb garden, my biggest worries is keeping things like yard critters away from it. That and my front yard is just an ugly breeding ground for weeds and I'm worried that spraying weed killer will contaminate the plants. An indoor garden is just out of the question since I have no room.
                      Planting goldenrod around a garden will keep out rabbits. If you till really well and weed your garden should be fine. You don't need to use weed killer. Gardens are lots of work. You have to do a little something every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                        Planting goldenrod around a garden will keep out rabbits. If you till really well and weed your garden should be fine. You don't need to use weed killer. Gardens are lots of work. You have to do a little something every day.
                        Thank you so much, I will remember this!

Comment

Working...
                        X