British Humor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Humor

Do you find British comedy shows (or just British humor in general) funny? I absolutely love it, but no one else I know likes it or even thinks it's the least bit funny. They're like, "I don't get it....It's not funny." And I'll be next to them laughing my ass off.
    Why do so many Americans not get British humor?

Random post of the day, lol.

Re: British Humor

I think some of it is culture-specific. It's hard to pick up on, because the cultures are really, really similar, but there are still subtle differences, and I think that's where the humour comes from. I think it's why a lot of Canadians like both...Canada is sort of in between the UK and the US, culture-wise. Sometimes it's jokes that reflect that culture, and sometimes it's that different cultures find different things funny.

Comment

I agree with Danie here, I am fairly fond of most Brit humor, and some of the junk people find funny in the US just annoys me. I think it has more to do with perception, most of the people in my circle of friends though, get the Brit humor, so we can sit around and giggle un-controlably.
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Living in the UK I like most British humour... but that said, it varies a lot. A big hit over here at the moment is Mrs Brown's Boys... but even in the UK there are quite a few people who don't think it's funny. (I think it's hilarious though.) So it's not just cultures that are different, but even in the same culture people have varied senses of humour.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Humor is pretty much about absurdity and the subversion of expectations. That's part of the reason some aspects of British comedy would be lost on an American, you can't subvert an expectation that isn't there.

Absurdity tends to be multicultural however, which is probably why Monty Python has the international acclaim it did and still does. A lot of us in the states might not get a joke about chavs, morris dancers, or dad's army... but cheese is always funny.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            Living in the UK I like most British humour... but that said, it varies a lot. A big hit over here at the moment is Mrs Brown's Boys... but even in the UK there are quite a few people who don't think it's funny. (I think it's hilarious though.) So it's not just cultures that are different, but even in the same culture people have varied senses of humour.
            Yeah it's the same here in Germany. Sometimes some comedy seems flat-out stupid to both me and my boyfriend (though, I'm a foreigner by upbringing), and neither of us nor any of my German friends find it funny, but some shows are hilarious and some internet content goes viral on Facebook. I think here it can be an age and socio-economic thing though...usually younger people have a different sense of humour than older people, and educated, professional types find totally different things funny than the working class tends to.

Comment

Mr. Bean.

/thread
              [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                Mr. Bean.

/thread
                Lol I love Mr. Bean.

One of my favorite shows is The Catherine Tate Show. That woman is hilarious.

Comment

I used to love Mr. Bean in my early teens, but I bought a box set of it and I have to say, as an adult it's just not as funny. A lot of my British friends feel the same way :/

Peep Show, The IT Crowd, and Black Books are my favs.

Comment

I like British humor the most. I watch a tv show on Sundays evening called Britcom since I was a child. It was there that I started to see Mr Bean, My family and also Monty Python among many others. I'm a bit surprised no one talked about Monty Python! I also like Little Britain very much.
                    "I was born from a Spark and Fire I became"

Comment

The dog's bollocks.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

For me, it's a mood thing. I have to be in the right mood to get and enjoy British Humor. (the same goes for any other brand or style of humor)
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                          I've watched a few episodes! It's pretty funny.

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                          Mr. Bean.

/thread
                          I actually hate Mr bean.

ooooooooooooooooooooooh

Mostly art.

Comment

I prefer blackadder myself.
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

For one of the darkest and IMHO funniest British films, try 'Withnail and I...' (Richard E Grant and Paul McGann in very early roles.)
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X