This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things that make you smile

Never take your car to the dealer. (I know but I am just learning this, OK?) New brakes, pads and rotors, for less than half what the dealer estimated, more expensive guy than most mechanics in the area, but the only one in the area certified to work on a VW.
    I guess what I am saying is having more money than planned left over makes me smile!
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Philip is coming home tomorrow.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
        Never take your car to the dealer. (I know but I am just learning this, OK?) New brakes, pads and rotors, for less than half what the dealer estimated, more expensive guy than most mechanics in the area, but the only one in the area certified to work on a VW.
        I guess what I am saying is having more money than planned left over makes me smile!
        This rule can be flexible. Had a local mechanic try and screw over a relative by claiming the brakes were horrific. Dad took the car too the dealership and the response was pretty much "the local is lying his ass off". Granted, Dad worked for the dealer and knew the mechanic in question but the local still tried to con his way into an $800+ job.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          This rule can be flexible. Had a local mechanic try and screw over a relative by claiming the brakes were horrific. Dad took the car too the dealership and the response was pretty much "the local is lying his ass off". Granted, Dad worked for the dealer and knew the mechanic in question but the local still tried to con his way into an $800+ job.
          I already knew the brakes in question were cruddy, I have been grinding the rotors for months, thought that the front brakes would need work but they did not.

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Flowers, sunshine, nude walks in the woods, going on hikes high as a kite, Kyuss, holding kittens, beating the crap out of a guy at video games, skinny dipping in the river, and peace.

Comment

I got my school refund back today!
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                I got my school refund back today!
                In time to avoid the OD fee?

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                  In time to avoid the OD fee?
                  So it seems. I don't see any fees on my statement.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

I may be unemployed right now, but it means I'm not a server on Relationship Obligation Day, most miserable day for food service jobs everywhere. Kinda improves things in a twisted way.
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                      I may be unemployed right now, but it means I'm not a server on Relationship Obligation Day, most miserable day for food service jobs everywhere. Kinda improves things in a twisted way.
                      This intrigues me. Why is this? (I've worked in the food industry for a couple of years, but it was at a pizza joint, not a server... so, I may not have been subjected to what you're talking about).
                      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                      Sneak Attack
                      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
                        This intrigues me. Why is this? (I've worked in the food industry for a couple of years, but it was at a pizza joint, not a server... so, I may not have been subjected to what you're talking about).
                        I can only assume it refers to the high number of couples dining out on Valentine's Day. I personally never had to deal with this particular holiday, but I do know that celebrations like birthdays can be very frazzling to a server, so if one works in a restaurant that is popular among couples they'd probably be swamped on Valentine's Day. For a single person this could potentially be depressing.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                          I can only assume it refers to the high number of couples dining out on Valentine's Day. I personally never had to deal with this particular holiday, but I do know that celebrations like birthdays can be very frazzling to a server, so if one works in a restaurant that is popular among couples they'd probably be swamped on Valentine's Day. For a single person this could potentially be depressing.
                          Clive hit it right on the nose. Anyplace T.G.I. Friday's or nicer, you will have a LOT of couples. People have their emotions running high, and want everything to be "perfect". Every table wants to be treated like a superstar, all at the same time. If you're on the lower end of "nice", then you'll also have people who assumed that their date didn't bother to plan anything, and are pitching a fit because of it. Someplace like my last job, where tonight's special menu was clocking out at just under $300 per head (caviar, truffles, wagyu...) before I left back in Jan, you also get people who have sticker shock, and asshole guys who are trying to pressure their younger dates into sex before they're ready.

And Valentine's breakup fights...a lot of those.

In the words of The Bitchy Waiter:

God, please be with me today as I am bombarded with lovebirds
                          who will sit in my station all night and look at each other all googly-eyed.
                          Give me the strength to not hate them when they order the $29.99 Valentine's Day Special, which consists of an app, two entrees and a dessert
                          and normally would cost around $40.00 and I would get tipped at least $8-10 but tonight will only net me about $6-7.
                          God grant me the sanity to accept the things I cannot change, like the fact that some people will be out to dinner for the first time in 12 months;
                          Give me the courage to change the things I can, like a burger that is under-cooked but not one that is over-cooked;
                          I also ask to earn the wisdom to know the difference between a man who is there with his wife and a man who is there with his mistress.
                          Please be with me when that lady comes in from the street who normally sells bootleg DVD's but tonight will be selling plastic long-stemmed roses that light up; be with me so I know not to swat that bitch out of the restaurant with a rolled-up newspaper the same way I would a fly or a dog who just peed on the rug.
                          I will be trusting that the kitchen will make all things right
                          if I surrender to their will;
                          And that I may be reasonably happy with this shift
                          and supremely happy when I get to leave with a pocket full of blood money.
                          Forever in the next.
                          Amen.
                          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Dez's quote made me smile.

- - - Updated - - -

the whole rest of the that blog makes me smile, too.

Mostly art.

Comment

Being back and seeing everyone still posting away makes me happy Missed you all!! xxx
                              "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                                Being back and seeing everyone still posting away makes me happy Missed you all!! xxx
                                Where'd you go?

I filed my taxes early this year. I got back some, but not as much as I was hoping for. I'm still smiling though, because some money is still better than no money, and my credit card is due for a larger payment.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X