Goodbye, Pope Palpatine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye, Pope Palpatine...

He's the first pope to abdicate in over 600 years.

I will miss making Pope Palpatine jokes though. Hopefully the next pope will also look like an evil super-villain.

Re: Goodbye, Pope Palpatine...

LMFAO My husband comes into my job and wont sit down because there is a portrait of the pope overlooking the waiting area, and he doesn't want to sit under emperor Palpitine! lol! but yeah, I only found that story while looking up a different one...
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'm so excited.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Should be interesting to see who replaces him. Though I doubt they'll authorize the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith to go old-time Inquisition on some the Church's worse elements like I want them too.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I wish they'd elect a liberal pope that will bring the church into the 21st century, and one that will have zero tolerance for corruption, but that's not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            I wish they'd elect a liberal pope that will bring the church into the 21st century, and one that will have zero tolerance for corruption, but that's not going to happen.
            Somebody was telling me today that it was good that this one was leaving because he was too liberal...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Really? Seriously?

Comment

yep, too liberal...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

And I thought he was OLD school,and wanted to take the whole church back to the good old days. I also wasn't aware he had the ability to just quit. I always thought it was a job for life. I know very little about the actual workings of the "Big" kahuna of religions anyway,but we will see what we will see.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    And I thought he was OLD school,and wanted to take the whole church back to the good old days. I also wasn't aware he had the ability to just quit. I always thought it was a job for life. I know very little about the actual workings of the "Big" kahuna of religions anyway,but we will see what we will see.
                    Apparently stepping down has not happened in about 600 years, it was during some church schism or another and it was done to help reunify the church. This seems a petty reason to step down as generally these guys are supposed to work themselves to death...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Goodbye, Dark Emperor.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                        Somebody was telling me today that it was good that this one was leaving because he was too liberal...
                        Oh, the lol...I wonder what they thought of John Paul II?

Anyhoo...I thought this was an actually interesting and thoughtful post on the subject from a Pagan blogger.

(so unlike us, lol)
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

There may be a "Real" reason for the pope quitting right now. I had seen something about a guy writing a book about his (the pope)involvement in covering up child abuse. I did find this link:

Joseph Ratzinger—a.k.a. Pope Benedict XVI—should have retired when the church’s sex-abuse scandal erupted—but he continued to protect predator priests, writes Geoffrey Robertson.

If indeed this might end up on the Vatican's doorstep,having a sitting pope under a spotlight concerning coverups would not sit well for the Church.

To The pope,RUN don't walk away,and do not bring this Sh*t down on us(from the Vatican)

And a quote:

"Ratzinger’s policy at the CDF had always been to keep child abuse secret, even though that meant forgiving the offender. The worse case was that of Father Maciel, a bigamist, paederast and drug-taker who raped his own children but had become a close friend of John Paul II and in 2004 was invited to Rome for a papal blessing. Ratzinger was in possession of all the evidence about Maciel’s regular debauchery with his young novitates, but refused to act. Even after he became Pope, Ratzinger refused to defrock this monster priest or provide the evidence against him to the police. Instead he merely ‘invited’ Maciel to retire and lead a quiet life in the U.S., away from media attention."
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The Pope does not involve my life in any way and therefore I have no feelings.
                            I admit, though, that I didn't realize it was an option. I suppose if I'd stopped to think about it, it wouldn't seem to strange, but who the hell QUITS being Pope? Who is just DONE like that? Isn't the point of being Pope... like, a huge deal?

*wanders off, confused*

Comment

None of it makes sense. This pope (and John Paul II for that matter) were not liberal in any way. (You could however argue that John Paul 1 and John XXIII were, to some extent).
                              Pope's just do not resign. Even the last pope, who was ill for many years, stayed until the very end. So if a pope does resign the wise money is on (a) he went before some scandal broke and/or (b) he went because if he didn't.... well, let's just say that he might have simply not woken up one day...
                              At the moment therefore, the Vatican is desperately trying to keep the lid on everything.
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X