Oh, those wacky Japanese chefs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, those wacky Japanese chefs...

In our last episode, we examined a chef who cooked and severed his own junk.

In this weeks episode, we will look at a Japanese chef who specializes in cooking dirt...

After the dirt arrives, he lightly cooks it to release the flavour, then runs it through a sieve to remove any stray grains of sand.

The six-course soil extravaganza starts with an amuse bouche of soil soup, served with the merest fleck of dirt-engrained truffle, and ends with soil sorbet and a sweet dirt gratin.

But Tanabe's pride and joy is the "soil surprise," a dirt-covered potato ball with a truffle centre.

The feast is not especially cheap, running to 10,000 yen $110 (70.3 pounds) a diner.

I'm willing to cook a dirt meal for anybody interested for 5,000 yen. My specialty is mud pie.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Oh, those wacky Japanese chefs...

Truffles are nasty, no way in hell I'd eat that. I'd try the sorbet though.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

...I can cook friggin dirt for that much money... I imagine the truffles added to the price, but usually before feeding people food we wash the dirt off the damn things... yeesh
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
        ...usually before feeding people food we wash the dirt off the damn things... yeesh
        Yeah - it appears that this is where we have been making our mistake all along...

I have one question... Is dirt "organic"?
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Yeah - it appears that this is where we have been making our mistake all along...

I have one question... Is dirt "organic"?
          Dunno, but I will bet it qualifies as "free range." My question is does it have to be certified as only plant matter to be "vegan?"

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Generally only the humus of the soil is organic, the rest of it is composed of silicates and other minerals.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Anybody remember that episode of Ren and Stimpy where they ate nothing but food made out of dirt, then it rained and a bunch of fruits and vegetables grew, so they decided to pick up and move?
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                Anybody remember that episode of Ren and Stimpy where they ate nothing but food made out of dirt, then it rained and a bunch of fruits and vegetables grew, so they decided to pick up and move?
                I don't, but it sounds about right...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Finally, a restaurant I can recommend to those who suffer from pica.

My mother ate clay whenever she was pregnant. I could never understand why her eating clay was somehow better than me eating bugs when I was little.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                    My mother ate clay whenever she was pregnant...
                    When K'Roe was preggo, she liked to smell wet cement. I think it's part of the same deal... something about the body needing minerals or something.

Comment

It's only pica if they are eating things that are not food. Processed foods probably contain a good deal more non-foodstuff than anything this guy whips up.

Comment

Soil seems to be just one component of the larger dish...

Also, especially for Japan, a chef's menu costing $110 isn't that much. The projected tasting menu for my last job was $250-ish before wine pairings.
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                          It's only pica if they are eating things that are not food. Processed foods probably contain a good deal more non-foodstuff than anything this guy whips up.
                          Just a quickie definition, from WebMD: Pica is the persistent eating of substances such as dirt or paint that have no nutritional value. I guess it could be argued that dirt does have some nutritional value. Soil does get mentioned again and again by mental health resources when describing pica, and patients with pica can have the associated symptoms of gastric distress, gastrointestinal bleeding and illness caused by eating contaminated soil. So according to at least mental health sites, soil is not a food item.

Comment

Sand, wax, wood. There are a lot of food additives that would indicate pica if you just straight up ate it. Not only that,"dirt" is not another word for soil. It specifically refers to any number of things that are dirt-y, such as manure and soot.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                              Sand, wax, wood. There are a lot of food additives that would indicate pica if you just straight up ate it. Not only that,"dirt" is not another word for soil. It specifically refers to any number of things that are dirt-y, such as manure and soot.
                              'Soil' can also mean 'get dirty' or feces (night-soil). To a farmer or gardener, soil might mean organic-material-rich dirt and dirt might mean depleted or displaced soil. To Webster, dirt is excrement or loosely packed soil, but soil is 'to stain or corrupt morally'.

If you want to get that nitpicky about the definition of 'dirt' vs 'soil', this Cornell article specifically mentions 'earth': http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Nov12/PICA.html

NatGeo claims there's no evidence that humans can absorb trace minerals from 'soil': http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nant-eat-dirt/

Soil, dirt, earth, humus, whatever you want to call it - it's just not people food. Worms and various decomposer bacteria, yes. People, no.

Comment

Working...
                              X