Ash Wednesday - Explain and Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ash Wednesday - Explain and Discuss

I'm wondering how many more people are going to offer to watch my post so I can go getr ashes rubbed on my forehead. Nope fine not having them, and not entirely sure of the point, though I have asked, it has been insufficiently explained.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Re: What are you thinking about?

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
    I'm wondering how many more people are going to offer to watch my post so I can go getr ashes rubbed on my forehead. Nope fine not having them, and not entirely sure of the point, though I have asked, it has been insufficiently explained.
    Ashes on the face are an old-style sign of mourning, like tearing your hair or rending your clothing.

That's all there is too it.

(former Catholic)
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Ashes on the face are an old-style sign of mourning, like tearing your hair or rending your clothing.

That's all there is too it.

(former Catholic)
      But what does it have to do with today? I thought Jesus died on good friday.
      (never a Catholic)

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

tearing your hair or rending your clothing.
        So catfights are just women helping each other prepare for funerals?
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
          So catfights are just women helping each other prepare for funerals?
          Why not?

/10char

~Jim Butcher

Comment

I feel I understand women more today than I have my entire life, I'm like Nick Marshall now.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

But what does it have to do with today? I thought Jesus died on good friday.
              (never a Catholic)
              Jesus is a hotshot, with connections in higher places. He gets an entire month.

Actually, this marks the beginning of the desert fast, and the devil's temptation, with the crucifiction as the grand finale.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Jesus is a hotshot, with connections in higher places. He gets an entire month.

Actually, this marks the beginning of the desert fast, and the devil's temptation, with the crucifiction as the grand finale.
                Ok, but why the ashes today? Why not on good friday? or easter sunday? today seems an odd day is all.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Ok, but why the ashes today? Why not on good friday? or easter sunday? today seems an odd day is all.
                  OK, I give up.

Obviously, you are unfit to be a Catholic. It's people like you that made the last Pope quit (does he get unemployment, I wonders?).

Try being a pagan instead - you can just make stuff up...

(Purple Rubber Ducky?)

Comment

Re: Ash Wednesday - Explain and Discuss

I moved these posts from the 'Thinking Thread' here because I know that there are more people wondering about this. Some of us are former Catholics so I figured, why not have it's own thread to explain and discuss this particular practice rather than derailing the existing topic.

Now, that said... here's a short explanation from the wiki page. And yes, I know the stigma with wiki... but it's better than not knowing anything, or worse yet, not doing a search yourself.
                    Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent in the Western Christian calendar. Occurring 46 days before Easter, it is a movable fast that can fall as early as February 4 and as late as March 10.According to the canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke; Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the desert, where he endured temptation by Satan. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of this 40-day liturgical period of prayer and fasting. Of the 46 days until Easter, six are Sundays and Sundays are considered "feast" days during Lent.
                    Ash Wednesday derives its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of adherents as a reminder and celebration of human mortality, and as a sign of mourning and repentance to God. The ashes used are typically gathered from the burning of the palms from the previous year's Palm Sunday.
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I always forget about these holy days until I see people coming into work w/ashes on their foreheads. What cracks me up is when an unknowing co-worker asks me where my ashes are, or better yet, tells me I'm not supposed to wash them off. I tell them I prefer my sacrifices to be fresher and still clucking.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

When I was a kid I'd always give something up for Lent. Now, even thought I don't feel obligated to, any time is a good time to give up something negative, or go on a diet, or something like that, so I am.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                          I always forget about these holy days until I see people coming into work w/ashes on their foreheads. What cracks me up is when an unknowing co-worker asks me where my ashes are, or better yet, tells me I'm not supposed to wash them off. I tell them I prefer my sacrifices to be fresher and still clucking.
                          Why would anyone assume that everybody they encounter is Catholic? Surely they can't be that ignorant and/or religiocentric.
                          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                            When I was a kid I'd always give something up for Lent. Now, even thought I don't feel obligated to, any time is a good time to give up something negative, or go on a diet, or something like that, so I am.
                            I'm not Catholic, nor have I ever been Catholic (or any other form of Abrahamic religion), but I celebrate Lent too. Last year, I gave up sugar. And I don't just mean 'sugar in my coffee' but if it was a word that meant sugar, and it was in my food, I gave it up. (news flash: you go through withdrawals and it SUCKS)

This year, Lent kinda snuck up on me. I didn't even know yesterday was Shrove Tuesday until halfway through the day, and I didn't eat any pancakes (this saddens me.)

So I spent my flight home trying to figure out what I should give up. I thought gluten, or sugar again, but I shouldn't be eating gluten anyhow and I feel like that was cheating. So I chose shopping. For the next 40 days, I'm not allowed to buy anything (ANYTHING) at all which isn't groceries, toiletries for the house, or bills. No going out for hot chocolates, or movies, or buying bicycling magazines, or crafts, or BOOKS, or nada.

If I want it, it can wait. (which is really a good idea, because I am broke as shit right now, and I'm bad with my credit cards - online shopping, hello?)

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                              Why would anyone assume that everybody they encounter is Catholic? Surely they can't be that ignorant and/or religiocentric.
                              People do it all the time - just like people who assume that if you're female, you want children.
                              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                              X