Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excerpt Reading, by popular demand

So...

You guys all seemed to think reading excerpts from a book was a pretty nifty idea. I agree. I've done another one, to get this thread started, but I'm not posting another unless someone else does!

I think it's a fun exercise in public speaking, to be perfectly honest. We all read in our heads, but how many of us read aloud?

It doesn't have to be a video, either. Audio recordings are fine, too. All of mine are from my iPhone, since it's the only thing I have that makes videos (I haven't the foggiest how to make my laptop do that...)

Oh, and make sure you cite the book you're reading! At least in the text when you post it.

This is Catechism for a Witch's Child, by J.L. Stanley.

Mostly art.

Re: Excerpt Reading, by popular demand

You have a soothing voice. You could do books on tape.

I'd do one if I had something other than a crappy camera phone, and if I could think of something worth reading to you all.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Comment

Neat! Awesome job, V!
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I love it
        Here's mine. It's the final passage from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. One of my favorite books ever. Hence, my screen name :P
        *Spoilers*

Comment

That was awesome, cuckoo! You've got a really good voice for reading.

And is that an altar I see in the background?

Mostly art.

Comment

Aw, thanks And yes, that is my sneaky altar, hehe.

Comment

Would the BDSM scene from Wizard's First Rule be too NSFW?
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I'll defer judgement on the scene since I haven't read the book but if there are NSFW scenes that people want to read then we have an adult section. We've had other threads before where a general version existed in plain view and another existed in Adult.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                  Would the BDSM scene from Wizard's First Rule be too NSFW?
                  Yeah, I think that's probably too NSFW, Denarius - great scene though!

Feel free to set up the adult version of this thread in the Adult section, and post your reading there.

Mostly art.

Comment

:/ I made the characters sound obnoxious... Two completely different flavours of obnoxious at that, and I only screwed up three times. I guess that's an accomplishment.

No sexy stuff, just practice.

Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Finally got around to doing it.

3 major flubs inside of 2 minutes (one of them, Perze oughta smack me for!), for my first [less-than-perfect] oratory, in a few years. Could've been worse. A lot worse, tbh.

Maybe that's why I'm not on talk radio.

Though, truthfully, that could be due to my frequent use of profanity, instead, I suppose.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                        Finally got around to doing it.

3 major flubs inside of 2 minutes (one of them, Perze oughta smack me for!), for my first [less-than-perfect] oratory, in a few years. Could've been worse. A lot worse, tbh.

Maybe that's why I'm not on talk radio.

Though, truthfully, that could be due to my frequent use of profanity, instead, I suppose.
                        Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, FTW!

You, sir, win ONE HUNDRED BILLION INTERNETS!!!!!!!
                        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

This is fun.
                          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Is there a theme or relevance between the excerpts or just whatever people want to read out loud?
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
                              Is there a theme or relevance between the excerpts or just whatever people want to read out loud?
                              It's eclectic. You can read whatever strikes yer fancy (so long as it's SFW)

Comment

Working...
                              X