Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ecovillages!! My Personal Experience... Could You Poop in a Bucket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecovillages!! My Personal Experience... Could You Poop in a Bucket?

EARTHAVEN ECOVILLAGE, BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC.

Hello! So I was born a city boy but I am definitely versatile with living arrangements. I can totally do apartment life, spending globs of money on food and drinks, and checking out the interesting and fabulous people people who inhabit cement jungles-- I live in Chicago, so sirens and loudness are music to my ears. All that's fun to me I'm not going to lie. But I also crave escape. Which is why I've explored eco-villages. I have visited an eco village once before December 2012, for 6 days-- and it was fantastic.

I absolutely loved it! My favorite part of living in the eco-village had to be the social atmosphere. Before I visited, I was quite reserved and timid, not shy because I've always been an open book, but the moment my cab driver drove up to the eco-village, I was in awe/nervous but was happily greeted with kind and gentle people. I opened up so much and so nicely-- every word and sentence just flowed out of me like it should. When walking around, I was greeted by everyone I passed. Something that never happens in cities like Chicago. We sometimes walk past hundreds of people on a day-to-day basis and I immediately hung on to that cultural difference. I think to myself if we as a people could slow down, we'd be so much happier and content. It was a pleasure getting to know people above and below my age.

What originally drew me to plan a visit to an aspiring eco-village was my unhappiness chasing an education I couldn't afford. I felt overwhelmed by capitalism and my gender identity issues. I came to this eco-village with no prior knowledge of what to expect. I visited the eco-village's website, which helped, but if you don't know much about sustainable communities and how they work. Don't worry! Someone will take care of you when you're there. I didn't get the vibe that people would abandon me--I came solo and felt like I was among family.

The coolest part was that I left with a good friend. We happened to be from the same city! We clicked, we laughed, hugged, bonded intimately, she showed me more than any tour guide could have showed me in weeks. So I'm thankful to have met her. We are even taking the same flight back to the eco-village this week! If it wasn't for her, I don't know if I'd go back... Friendship in this situation was fate in my opinion.

First night I was COLD! I slept with my coat on, 2 blankets and a fleece over my face. I was still cold. I could see my breath in the room. That was an adjustment that took two nights to get used to and it became comfortable on the third night.

The building I stayed in was a co-housing unit with about 8 bedrooms and three floors. Low maintenance.. (not the cleanest place, I assume they prefer it that way). Not dirty, but a few times I wanted to sweep the floor if I wasn't busy and I did.. the shower curtains were moldy and I thought to myself at one point.. "Oh let me just go to the store and buy a new one for the house." That wouldn't work because I was in the mountains and an hour away from the city. It wasn't unbearable, but if you're an utter neat freak I don't know if you'd be able to handle it or if your anal cleanliness would be appreciated.

*Note other houses in the village were much higher maintenance, I just happened to choose this building, called The Medicine Wheel House, because of its affordability and abundance of young travelers and visitors. I'm very happy I choose to stay in this building.

Although I am returning this week-- I was warned. I was warned that I was going through a "Honeymoon Phase" and that I should "break down," perhaps emotionally? before I return.. This was with good intentions! But at first the heads up turned me away and made me feel like the village didn't like me. I was also told up front that I am sensitive (which I know I am) and that their only concern about my return was that I am too sensitive and that I wouldn't be able to handle stressful situations. I felt reassured when I talked to one of the women who live in The Medicine Wheel House.

All in all, I am so humble to be returning. A little fearful of what 3 months in the mountains for me looks like ahahaha! But um, nothing I can't handle.

I think everyone should visit an eco-village at least once in their life.

So my question is.. have you ever been to an eco-village? Would you ever? Please feel free to share to share your stories or interest.

Re: Ecovillages!! My Personal Experience... Could You Poop in a Bucket?

I haven't, but that sounds really cool, I'm kinda jealous Can only imagine how refreshing it would be to be able to get out of urban society and back to nature like that for a while. Don't suppose you took any pictures you can share?

Comment

Would you mind posting some links or some information about how to do this? I'm pretty sure this just went to the top of my list of things I need.

Comment

I've never heard of this. Very interested in more info as well.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
        X