Know anything about eye migraines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know anything about eye migraines?

This is apparently what happened last night, rather hallucinatory and certainly took me out of commission for about a half hour. I did not have the profound headache I always assumed was a migraine, so I was a little surprised to discover that many migraines do not involve a headache. Anyway, I was able to find enough information online this morning that I am about 98% certain of this slef-diagnosis, though I will follow up with my doctor. What I have not found is consistent information about what causes it. For example, one site hypothesized that coffee can be indicated while another site suggested coffee as a remedy.

Whatever knowledge you may have is certainly appreciated.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Re: Know anything about eye migraines?

I'm not sure why this might have happened to you, however, as a fellow victim of migraines, I can tell you why you are getting coffee remedy. They treat most patients with caffeine pills, high doses of it. Some of the doses are so large, that they can even give you a heart attack over time. Most of those have been removed from the market. The best remedy I have found that worked for me wasn't through caffeine or even taking a pill. I had to take a towel, soak it in cold water, wrap it around my head and go to sleep. It felt like my head was going to explode and the only way to make it stop - because nothing else worked was to ice myself down. So my doctor and I figured that I have some sort of random swelling going on for whatever reason. *shrug*

Also, I notice when I get headaches because of my eye, it's usually due to sinuses, allergies, that kind of stuff. Yes it hurts, yes I get headaches, it's especially bad when I have to drive or go outside. But that's what I call a sinus headache. XD I've never had any hallucinations due to my migraines or headaches though. This is something you REALLY do need to talk and discuss with your doctor about - especially if it isn't just a single occurrence.

Comment

"I was born from a Spark and Fire I became"

Comment

So this is sort of how things looked, only more like the lights around the edges were wavy and sparkly and turning like a kaleidoscope. The center image was not exactly stable either, so it was impossible to really focus on anything. http://www.flickr.com/photos/23066606@N00/365162674/

So the episode occurred about 9 pm last night, I was in bed by 10 pm awakened at 3:30 am. I laid back down about 7:30 and slept until 1 this afternoon, at which time I felt fine. Now I definitely have a headache, and I am a person who almost never has a headache, so -- yeah, something new for my midlife. Fun. I have always had difficulty with flashing or flickering lights, but it never developed in this way, though that does seem to be what happened. Thanks for your responses. Hopefully this is an isolated event.

Comment

Sometimes you get flickering and flashing due to dry eyes. If you don't already use some sort of lubricating eye drops or eye gel, I'd definitely give that a go.

With regard to the link you posted - I get that sort of thing a lot, (plus revolving lilac coloured hexagons which is bizarre!) but it's related to other eye problems and not migraines, so it's certainly worth getting your eyes checked out properly. Most opticians in the UK aren't really able to do this - you need an ophthalmologist to do it thoroughly.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
            This is apparently what happened last night, rather hallucinatory and certainly took me out of commission for about a half hour. I did not have the profound headache I always assumed was a migraine, so I was a little surprised to discover that many migraines do not involve a headache. Anyway, I was able to find enough information online this morning that I am about 98% certain of this slef-diagnosis, though I will follow up with my doctor. What I have not found is consistent information about what causes it. For example, one site hypothesized that coffee can be indicated while another site suggested coffee as a remedy.

Whatever knowledge you may have is certainly appreciated.
            Alright, not to toot my own horn but I'm rather an expert with migraines. I've had them ever since my concussion, which I acquired while skateboarding with no helmet. Smart, right?

Anyway, migraines are mostly chemical imbalances. In a sense, they're like a terrible hangover. They will indeed put you out of commission for some time. My last took me down for 48 hours. You'll notice dizziness, sensitivity to light and motion, nausea, exhaustion and, most of all, pain. And that's not all, but I won't get into how many symptoms they have because the list would go on. I'll just try to lay on you some knowledge of what helps me when I'm taken down by a migraine.

1. If there's light problems, dim them immediately. The longer you have to deal with bright light, the worse it will get, both in sensitivity and pain.
            2. Water. Tons of water. This is talked about by doctors to help balance the chemistry in your brain.
            3. A "mixed" otc painkiller. There is a migraine medicine I bought at Walmart that really helps. It's a mix of tylenol, aspirin and, more importantly, caffeine.
            3a. Caffeine helps for use as a vasoconstrictor. It helps narrow those blood vessels in your brain and eyes, helping to alleviate the pain by reducing pressure from swelling.
            3b. I haven't bothered trying natural approaches to this, but concentrated willow bark and possibly coffee bean or some other caffeine-containing plant might help. I'd go for the higher mg pills though. I don't mess around with my migraines.
            4. Cool compress: Take a washcloth. Fold it into a blindfold. Put cold water on it. Wring it out lightly. Place directly over eyes. When the washcloth gets warm, flip it. It's like getting the cool side of the pillow.

Basically, there's only so much you can do to combat a migraine. The best way to do it is to recognize the symptoms early, and attack it immediately. The faster you attack the symptoms, the less the migraine will grow.

Good luck and if you need anything else, feel free to send me a message!

Comment

Something I forgot to ask - did you get the problem in one or both eyes?

Comment

The trouble with migraines is that they can have different causes for different people, Caffine helps to fix mine, but in a cousin the caffine will exacerbate them and make it worse. I have had little twirly shapes and blocked out vision, that usually comes on when I am getting a stress induced migraine, that is really bad. The migraines that I associate with partial loss of vision tend to be extra horrible and last for days, but it is not an uncommon precursor to a migraine. It could be something else though since you did not feel an exceeding ammount of pain afterwards, but you could jyust have a different type of migraine. It is something a doctor would be best equipped to handle.
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Thanks for these responses. I have been seriously hydrating, and I pray that coffee is not a trigger for me because I love it so. Given my history, I expect it is from the flashing lights -- I have always had difficulty with rapid changes in light conditions -- driving at night dealing with the headlights of oncoming cars is something I routinely avoid but ended up doing Saturday night, and then once home did not rest but share-read something on glossy paper that kept catching the light and flashing me because, well, somebody else was adjusting the glare for them rather than me. That is my working hypothesis at this time. Will follow up with doctor.

There was a follow-up headache, but it was yesterday rather than simultaneous with the optical event. I still have a small headache this morning. The visual effects affected my left eye predominantly and the headache was on my right side predominantly, so I think it fits the profile.

Tylluan, I was seeking alternative diagnoses online yesterday and could find nothing else. If you do not mind sharing this I would be grateful.

Comment

Hi - Basically it's thought (by some) that a headache in the one eye tends to be migraine related, while visual disturbances in both eyes could be a host of other things. Many people don't realise that their night vision can be quite different from their day vision - my night vision is truly abysmal. That's something else to consider. But I would certainly see if you can get your eyes fully checked just in case there is a problem back in the retina perhaps. You never know, and if you catch it quickly you can get it treated. Uveitis can also cause a variety of weird symptoms, as can Birdshot Chorioretinopathy. Hope this helps but don't be afraid to ask - if I don't know I will say so!

Comment

Little over a year ago, there was an entire week when I got really, really bad headaches daily. They lasted about 20 minutes and sometimes happened up to three times a day. They hurt so bad I literally cried into the sink, and it takes a LOT of pain to make me cry. Rosemary and lavender weren't doing a damn thing, so I ended up literally eating Excedrin and ibuprofen - like, chewing them up and swallowing them like candy.

The best I can figure is that they were cluster headaches, which are reported to be the most painful thing a human can endure. Women who have had them claim that they're more painful than giving birth. An artist's rendering depicts the headache as a little imp pulling back a man's eyelid and punching him in the eyeball, and that's pretty much exactly what it felt like - like somebody was taking my eyeball in their hand and squeezing it really hard.

Thankfully they stopped and haven't come back since, and I pray they never do. Sadly, I don't really know what to recommend, but I do know that it's recommended you go to the ER if you ever feel like you're having "the worst headache you've ever had."
                      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                      -Erik Erikson

Comment

Just thought of something else... magnesium as a supplement. Can be very effective when all else fails.

Comment

I wish the idea of migraine had occurred to me at the time -- shows how uneducated I was on the subject. I did not specifically check one eye and then the other so all I am left with is memories and impressions, which I may be unintentionally skewing to make things easy. I was more of a mind that it could be related to aneurism, and my husband was set to take me to the emergency room if it did not subside within an hour. It turns out that it is not a symptom for that, but I was also uneducated about aneurisms. I was not overly alarmed because, aside from the visual disturbance, I felt fine. I continued to have a vague headache throughout yesterday but I was very productive and, yesterday evening, despite advice that one should not drink with a migraine, I said "screw it" had two hard ciders. Didn't seem to make a difference so -- hurrah!

I truly do not want my head irradiated for imaging. I will follow up with my eye doctor, but unless there are further indications that is as far as I am willing to go at this time. Still a mild headache today -- I wonder if something I ate could be indicated since we were out all day that day and ate all manner of interesting things. Seems I'm reaching the time limit for a migraine. *shrug*

Thanks for the other two things to consider. The more I know the better I will be as a patient.

Comment

I've had migraines that go on for days. Mr Penry gets them (sometimes) day after day for weeks. The only thing that has ever helped him is magnesium, so it's worth a try.

Best of luck and hope you feel better soon!

Comment

Working...
                            X