Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Soft and fluffy" tarot

Originally posted by gwynwas View Post
    And people have a tendency to "shoot the messenger." I work in mental health and I see the same thing there. One of the biggest mistakes therapists make is to avoid pointing out a client's distortions, letting them make the same mistakes over and over, or even worse, validating their distortions. Therapists do this because they don't want to make the client angry.

But then why does someone go to a therapist to begin with? Same question for Tarot, why does someone go to a tarot reader? Do they want it laid out bad along with good? Maybe some are prepared for that, but I think a lot of times people are looking for assurance from the reader the same way some people go to therapists expecting to be validated.
    Absofreakinglutely. I nip that right in the bud - by the time the reading is over they have been duly and thoroughly warned and I give them no room to "shoot" me for it. Heard enough of that crap, lol - I don't get paid for what I do, I do it happily for dear friends and people who ask my help, so I certainly ain't paid enough to get nagged because I gave the reading they insisted so much upon (especially after I carefully inform them about how I work). In the end, though, hubs and I end up with people sort of coming back head hanging and being really appreciative we didn't BS them (we both work together on Tarot). It's better to just put it blunt but gentle, caring but honest, in my opinion.

EDIT: I mean obviously you want to be tactful, patient and kind with the reading. It's meant to help, after all. We always try to be encouraging at the end and if bad things are mentioned in the reading, we assure the seeker(s) that nothing is carved in stone and just sit and chat with them a bit. We try to leave it on a good note, having given them something to think about and plenty of encouragement. Just wanted to clarify.
    Last edited by RainbowDemonic; 29 May 2013, 11:42.

Comment

Sure, some folks want to be handed a fantasy, but its been my experience that they are a minority--YMMV. 'Eh, IMO tarot readings come from within rather than without, and the only thing you are doing is "divining are possibilities". That means that you the reader have to be open to those possibilities as much as the person being read for. The idea that you are giving someone some "cold hard truth" is only true in the sense that most people don't want the truths handed to them in a way that is cold and hard--they want to know the possibilities. The only "truth" in tarot is that there are multiple "truths" that can be divined from a single spread. If you are only giving one possibility because you (the reader) have a preference for it for whatever reason (whether it be of the fantasy OR the cold and hard variety), you are short changing the person you are reading for. A cruddy-looking spread for one person isn't always cruddy for the next, or for the outcome. Tarot is useful because there are a myriad of ways to interpret their symbols and interplay, not because they actually divine a future.
      Last edited by thalassa; 30 May 2013, 05:33.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by QuercusRobur View Post
        The boss wasn't happy as inspectors had been in, he'd looked at a database I take care which is in spreadsheet format (we don't have a license for databases) and couldn't find things, which I suspect was because he'd never looked at it before and he took this out on me. I ended up with a long list of things to do. I did get some guidance with things I asked for, but since work practice what I call "Harry Potter management" (waving a wand in the air, saying a few words and expecting things to happen while ignoring reality) it was as much use to me as a chocolate teapot.

Comment

Working...
        X