History Channel's Vikings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History Channel's Vikings

Started last night. It looks very promising. Odin and the Valkyries were represented in the first 5 minutes. It's bloody but I am hoping it does ok and explores more about the pagan side of things.

Re: History Channel's Vikings

I wish I had cable just so I could watch it, I have to see if they are going to put it on Hulu...
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I was also looking forward to it, because of the pagan side. I am glad they mentioned some of the gods multiple times. Particularly Odin and Loki.
      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
      sigpic
      In Days of yore,
      From Britain's shore
      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
      And planted firm Britannia's flag
      On Canada's fair domain.
      Here may it wave,
      Our boast, our pride
      And joined in love together,
      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I've seen it on Hulu - I haven't watched it, but I plan to. It looks interesting, although I haven't seen so much as a trailer. I have a soft spot for Odin so it is something I'm looking forward to.

Comment

What's nice is my hubby is asking questions about stuff. He is supportive but not interested.

Comment

Wow, I just saw it. I have to say, I can't recall seeing Vikings portrayed on television quite like this. At least not in any other movie or television show. It takes liberties, sure, but it does manage a real sense of historicity as well.
            If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

I haven't watched it, yet... but I don't have high hopes.
              "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Huh...I'll need to look for it.
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I missed the premiere but have the encore and the rest of the series set for recording. I'm excited! Sounds promising.

Comment

I've really been enjoying the show. I'm glad it's been picked up for a second season!
                    It does not do to dwell in dreams and forget to live - Albus Dumbledore

Comment

They kill everyone. This is not the new perspective on vikings I thought they were promising. I kept hearing that this show would get me to think about vikings in some new way, and so far, it hasn't. Maybe I don't think of them what everyone else does, but so far, it's just everyone taking turns slaughtering each other.

Comment

I watched the first episode, and to be honest all I came away thinking was "They've got strange hair styles" and that's about it. I'm not sure if it'll make me think any differently when I watch more episodes.

Comment

It's a good show and the lead character is based on a real hero, although I am unsure of the historical/mythological accuracy other than his name (Ragnor Ladbrog). There isn't much pagan 'practice', but it does show you their views on the gods and how each person/family has a patron. It does get into some basic mythology.

I like how it shows the dynamics of their culture with family/war/culture, etc, but I am not a historian so I don't know how much is accurate, but the fight/battle scenes are good and the leads wife is not like the regular wives- timid. She is just as fierce as he is... when you see the scene when they are arguing (first or second episode) you'll know what I mean. Good show. I like it, but I also love ancient warrior cultures in general.

Comment

My blog
                            On Instagram
                            On Witches' Voice

Comment

Working...
                            X