Teen Plastic Surgery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teen Plastic Surgery...

So, apparently teens are getting plastic surgery now.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Once upon a time, my Mother suggested that I get breast implants. I was 16 at the time, and felt pretty hurt by it. I declined the offer. For me, I think it would be healthier to learn to love my body the way it is rather than surgically modify my appearance to better conform to an external, cultural standard of beauty.
    Then again, that's just me.

What say you all of this phenomenon?

Re: Teen Plastic Surgery...

Since I was 14 I've been really uncomfortable about my curves (or lack of, I should say). It's only in the last year or so I've been proud of it though. I've decided I prefer the looks flat-chested girls can pull off that nobody else can. ^^ But it took me a long time to get here, and looking back.. I'm really glad I didn't do anything that would leave me scarred, unnatural, or otherwise make me dislike who I am.

I should note that the main reason why I never did any cosmetic surgery (aside from the lack of an expendable income) was because I've always had an innate aversion to surgically inserting anything unnatural into my body. Same reason why I don't invest in acrylic nails, extensions, multiple piercings, etc... Just a personal quirk.

Comment

I had surgery at 16 to fix my nose, I apparently managed to drive a tricycle down the stairs at the age of 3 and my nose was shaped quite badly as a result. I actively had the nickname of crookey... it wasn't alot, it was minimal, but now I can even breathe better than once I could. It was good for me.

As a thing her boobs are not that small, mine were that small once till about 19... she should wait, those change so much and much later for some girls.
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I think in certain cases it's ok - if a child has a deformity or scarring from an accident, and cosmetic surgery will make their life easier, why not? Kids are vicious enough to one another without added burdens of things like crooked noses, harelips/cleft palates, large visible birthmarks, moles, etc. Sometimes procedures like breast reduction are necessary - I had a friend in 5th grade who already had F-sized breasts. She had to wear a back brace by the time she was in 3rd grade. The doctors and her parents prepared her as best they could for the outcome that she would likely have to have another surgery somewhere down the line because her body (including her breasts) wasn't done growing. I myself had eye surgery to correct a 'lazy' eye when I was 8. They shortened some of the muscles in my eye socket to help pull my eye into normal focus, and by the time I was 12, it had grown out again.

Which is precisely why young children shouldn't undergo augmentation surgeries - whether it's breasts, more defined abs or calves, chin reshaping... Those bodies aren't done growing and changing yet. It's really appalling that doctors will go against common sense and just take the money.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I've seen this happen for a while. To be honest, I think it should only be allowed in certain cases, such as corrective surgery and breast reductions when they're too large and cause back problems and pain. I wouldn't really define those cases as "cosmetic" surgery though, as it stops being cosmetic when it's necessary. Cosmetic surgery shouldn't be allowed, even with parents permission. Your body isn't done developing yet, and it's important to learn self esteem and confidence from within, not get surgery so you can fit some sort of ideal.

Comment

I think it depends...there are some medical benefits from some cosmetic surgeries. I also think that it depends on what kind of cosmetic surgery, and whether or not it is actually correcting something or not. I had breast reduction as a teen, it had the added benefit of ending my migraines. I had a friend that had a nose job in high school, for a similar reason as Maria, and ended up having the same benefit of breathing better...but it was done purely for cosmetic reasons. I don't think that cosmetic surgeries should be banned, but I do think there should be professional checks in place over doctors that would do these procedures, and they should be taken on a case by case basis.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I'm kind of on the fence about this. I think that if someone really really wants a procedure done and they have the money, let them. Teen or not.

If it's just a fad cuz everyone else in their class is doing it, then no. I don't really agree with that.

Pretty much every procedure has it's pro's and con's. Most of the time, more Pro's than Con's. That's part of why people get it done, right? If I had the money, I'd get some stuff taken care of. Not gonna lie about that. But I'm also not a teen, lol.
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

In my high school, lots of girls got nose jobs the summer before senior year. I don't think anything faddish is a good idea, since, as some of you said, they're not finished growing yet at that age.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                X