Offerings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offerings

New to the forum, forgive me if this isn't the right place for this post or a repost.

I have a question: What is the proper way to dispose of offerings? I'm sure this question specifically has been asked before, and likely here. However, I have a dilemma.

I live in a small town where everyone knows your business and they don't take very kindly to those of "wrong religion" (anything that isn't Christian). I don't have any privacy because I live in an apartment complex, so I can't bury anything... even at night because I live in a bad neighborhood where you don't want to be female and outside alone in the dark. There are children who live in this complex, so if I leave the offerings outside by or in a tree or bush, they're likely to make off with it and probably destroy it. Really, the only thing I'd be able to do is pour out the water used in the offering bowl (as part of the offering) out of my second story bedroom window... but what would I do with the rest? I offer things such as food, flowers, and even more solid things like shells (for example).

There aren't any creeks, ponds, rivers, or lakes close enough to where I live that I would be able to walk to. My significant other works all the time so he has to use the vehicle... so I don't have any means of transportation (or any way to obtain one). However, I don't feel right throwing the offerings in the garbage... I feel it would be extremely disrespectful.

I would love any suggestions because I can't think of anything.

Re: Offerings

There isn't really a single proper way to dispose of offerings. It depends on your particular tradition (if you have one), deities you may follow, and what you are actually able to do in your personal circumstances.

Some traditions actually say it's okay to eat food offerings after they've been offered. It sort of becomes a blessed meal, with the deity taking in some of the essence of the food, and either leaving the 'shell' behind, or filling it with a bit of their own essence. In that last case, it can become symbolic of the give and receive relationship between humans and deities.

Some also do just throw away food offerings after they've been out a while, or dispose of food and drink down a garbage disposal with the water running. It depends on how you view offerings, some see what's left as 'empty' and have no problems throwing it away. Some may take the offering off the shrine and let it sit somewhere else a while first.

Really though, if you don't feel either of those would be appropriate for you, you might want to think about tailoring offerings to meet your circumstances. Stick to offering drink, or items like incense. Shells and such you could put to the side until you're able to bring them somewhere appropriate. You might not be able to do that often, but could you do that once a month or so? Also, consider offering less physical items - such as time. Maybe there's somewhere near-by you could volunteer at, or make donations, do some tutoring or something? Or dedicate an activity to a deity - the actual act of writing, playing music, learning a skill, exercising, and so on. All those could be made into offerings, and you're not left with physical items you can't dispose of.
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I don't think I have much to add that Gardenia didn't cover already, but I wanted to touch on it a little.

Like already stated, try offering something that you CAN dispose of. Offer incense, drink, candles (and when they burn down to wax, save them, remelt them, and make new candles!), food if you are comfortable eating what you offer. Offer salt, or honey, and then use it in your own cooking, as something 'sacred' you're adding to a meal.

I don't have one yet, because my roommate frowns upon basically everything I do that's witchy, but I'd really like to have a kitchen shrine, and I plan on setting my honey jar on it, and basically using it as a 'constant offering'.

I also really like Gardenia's idea of offering time.

Mostly art.

Comment

Personally, I'm not a fan of leaving food offerings outside anyhow...its not good from an ecological standpoint.

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
        Some traditions actually say it's okay to eat food offerings after they've been offered. It sort of becomes a blessed meal, with the deity taking in some of the essence of the food, and either leaving the 'shell' behind, or filling it with a bit of their own essence. In that last case, it can become symbolic of the give and receive relationship between humans and deities.
        I do this with some herbs--I hang them at the altar until they are dry, and then I reuse them, either in a simmer pot (since incense now bothers my asthma and allergies) or actually to make tea.

It still leaves you with something to do with them after you use them, but by then, perhaps its far enough removed that you might not feel badly about tossing them. I would compost them if I weren't in an apartment...I might start doing it anyhow, the hubby and I have talked about worm farming in a 10 gallon tub as a fun project for the kids.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Firstly, I want to thank all of you for taking the time to respond!

Gardenia: I'm so glad for those suggestions! I never really thought of something that wasn't physical. I'm pretty limited on what I can do even still (there isn't anywhere around here to volunteer at, etc.) but I'm sure there's something I can get to that would be within walking distance. I've been reading about Paganism for years, but I'm still learning... there are just some things books don't really touch on. I don't really have a tradition as of yet, still trying to find the one that fits me.

Volcaniclastic: I think offering something and then using it in my own cooking would probably be okay. Also, I'd love a kitchen shrine as well... but my significant other is much like your roommate. The only difference is not only is he uncomfortable with anything witchy, but it's also not something I can exactly tell him (or really anyone around here) that I'm involved in.

Thalassa: This would work amazingly well if there were other things around here aside from grass and weeds. Anything worth using is well beyond my walking distance. I've been trying to get my significant other to take me to the lake the past few weekends, but I've failed... and now he isn't going to have enough time to.

The reason this post really came about was because I was asking the God and Goddess if they might help me in finding a few items that could help me in my everyday rituals. A few days ago, I sincerely believe they did just that. The nearest lake from here is about 15-20 miles away and it's still to cold to go there right now. However, a few days ago, I found 2 mussels (shells only) outside my apartment next to my steps. Sure, some could say it coincidental, but I don't believe it is. So, to show my thanks I wanted to give 2 of the halves up as offerings... but I think it'd be best if I just wait and use them later on until I can bury them somewhere.

Comment

Working...
          X