Wisdom Teeth pain relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wisdom Teeth pain relief

:='(: :='(: I am in so much pain with my teeth, which is causing me so much pain in my ears and in my head.

Does anyone have any ideas how to help keep the pain at bay until I can save up for a dentist?
    I've tried Iboprufen combined with codeine, and I've also tried swilling warm salt water (alot of sites on the tinterwebs are recommending that) other than that I'm at a loss as to what I can do.

Re: Wisdom Teeth pain relief

Meditation, take out a loan, try to find a free clinic in your area.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Nat.

Try going to the chemist and looking for a numbing agent (like what they give babies when they teeth). It won't be great, but it'll help some. Also, if you can get your hands on some whole cloves or clove oil, you can try sucking on the clove (helps with teeth pain).

Mostly art.

Comment

Unfortunately with it being 1:50am there's no where open I rang the emergency dental line and the dr just said to keep doing what I'm doing, the tooth pain is bearable at the moment, but the ear pain and sharp pains in my head is pretty horrible. stupid teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Almost_lost View Post
          Unfortunately with it being 1:50am there's no where open I rang the emergency dental line and the dr just said to keep doing what I'm doing, the tooth pain is bearable at the moment, but the ear pain and sharp pains in my head is pretty horrible. stupid teeth.
          Go in the morning, then. I'm not sure what to suggest other than warm salt water and tylenol

I hope you feel better! Mine did that when I was 18 and it was awful. I ended up having them removed, but it was expensive and I had to save up just to do it (mom couldn't pay for me, so I did it myself - was in pain for weeks though while I saved money)

Mostly art.

Comment

Wisdom teeth don't go away eigther, they don't usually get better they just get nasty and more and more painful. I had 2 of them out in 08 because out of the blue for the first time since I got them at 17 they started to hurt really bad, and there was random bleeding. They are terrible, and they usually don't fit into your mouth, so they come in wrong. Mostly do what you are doing, eat soft food you don't have to chew in the side of your mouth, and save up, mayber find a free clinic, (which is not fun when they remove them.) The only thing to do is ride it out. They should make this manditory when were all young and stuff is covered by the state if parents don't have insurance, it sucks dealing with it now.
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              Nat.

Try going to the chemist and looking for a numbing agent (like what they give babies when they teeth). It won't be great, but it'll help some. Also, if you can get your hands on some whole cloves or clove oil, you can try sucking on the clove (helps with teeth pain).
              I second the suggestion of cloves. They contain eujenol, which is commonly used in dental pain relief medicines because it works to numb the area and relieve pain. Clove oil can be applied to the area, or, as mentioned, you can suck on a whole clove. In the case of ground cloves, you can take a small pinch and put it between your cheek and gum.
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

I'll third the cloves!

It really really does wonders...When I ended up with dry socket after having my wisdom teeth removed (in boot camp, no less--nothing like being miserable on top of being miserable), its what they use.

Honestly, I recommend everyone keep a bottle of clove oil just for dental not-quite-emergencies like this.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  I'll third the cloves!

It really really does wonders...When I ended up with dry socket after having my wisdom teeth removed (in boot camp, no less--nothing like being miserable on top of being miserable), its what they use.
                  Ewwww That's a really crappy place to have to have it done....

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I had the exact same problem at the end of last year (throbbing pain in the side of the head from wisdom teeth) the only thing that helped was getting to the dentist, that first shot of local anesthetic was like heaven, and then he did some work with a drill which eased the pain by a good 80% or so until I could have the tooth removed entirely.

Meditation did keep my mind off it temporarily, but that's not much good in the long run. The pain was too deep for topical anesthetic, and even strong painkillers only dulled it. Sorry to say it, but I didn't find anything else that actually worked.

Comment

^^What he said.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

One word of caution about oil of cloves - it can be toxic in excess (but then so can many things.) What about A & E? Or your local dental department in a University Teaching hospital. If you agree to let the students practise on you then it's often free. Best of luck - my father used to say that nothing exceeded one's expectations like toothache.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Alternating hot & cold compresses can usually help w/any kind of ear or jaw pain, and some people find using a blow dryer (don't blow it directly into your ear, or on too high of a 'blow' setting) on or around their ears soothing.
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I've managed to get through the worst of it, in that my ear and temple has stopped with shooting pains and its now just a dull ache, like I can feel the rest of my teeth being pushed round.
                            There is a dental hospital here that I think is free but I need to check if I'm eligible to get it free. If not it's looking like its gonna have to be a deal with it and save up kind of thing.

I'll see if I can find some clove oil somewhere.

Comment

:='(: :='(: I am in so much pain with my teeth, which is causing me so much pain in my ears and in my head.

Does anyone have any ideas how to help keep the pain at bay until I can save up for a dentist?
                              I've tried Iboprufen combined with codeine, and I've also tried swilling warm salt water (alot of sites on the tinterwebs are recommending that) other than that I'm at a loss as to what I can do.
                              If it's that bad, the only thing that will help at that point is a dentist. Sorry buddy. I have a lot of tricks for mine because I have terrible teeth, but if you've tried everything short of an actual hydrocodone, I'd say find a clinic that'll give you a payment plan, or do an extraction for cheap.

Some tricks I've tried, depending on the tooth and amount of pain:
                              1. Anbesol, or other numbing agent.
                              2. Excessive amounts of NSAID with large amounts of water.

.. and that's kind of it, really. If it hurts more when you lie down, prop yourself up when you sleep. Most importantly, check your town for low-cost dentists. That's going to be your best bet.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys, I think I've managed to get through the worst of it, in that my ear and temple has stopped with shooting pains and its now just a dull ache, like I can feel the rest of my teeth being pushed round.
                              There is a dental hospital here that I think is free but I need to check if I'm eligible to get it free. If not it's looking like its gonna have to be a deal with it and save up kind of thing.

I'll see if I can find some clove oil somewhere.
                              A hospital, especially emergency care clinic, will not turn you away and 99% of individuals will be able to get care that way. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X