Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Names

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    You know, I've used that handle for so long that I actually answer to V in real life? It's crazy.

Likewise with Corbin. It's more like my real name than is my real name...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I agree that names have power. If no one knows the name of one's "true self" then that is something others cannot touch physically or spiritually. In a coven, the name is known to all in the coven, and perhaps further still depending on the level of secrecy that can be maintained. Anyway, sharing these names would, in theory, provide identities specific to the group, devoid of whatever baggage might be pulled along by the members' given names. All in all an act of both communion and trust that would be a help for a group wishing to act as a unit -- in my un-covened opinion.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I consider Clive to be my Craft name. My main reasons for maintaining it are personal - It derives from a Germanic word meaning "cliff." I chose it because I tend to think of myself as standing on a cliff, looking over and considering everything, if that makes sense. That aside, I don't worship with other people and the Gods know who I am, so it's more of a reminder than a mark of identification.

On a more pragmatic level, my legal name is Christopher, but I go by Topher, which of course is "Christopher" without the "Chris." I hate the name Chris (for myself) and always have. Some years ago a friend started calling me Topher and it stuck, and that is the name I identify most with now. I plan on having it legally changed, actually. This too has a personal element to it, though. I'm a much different person than I once was, and I have no desire to ever be that former person again. Taking a new name helps me to sort of cement myself into my new self.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

My ritual name is Sean Ridley Ravensdale because it's awesome. Having another name helps me enter an altered state of mind, which makes meditation, channelling and many other rituals much much easier. It's sort of a switch. Once I "become" Sean R. R. I'm able to unlock more potential.

My post is short :c

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
            I consider Clive to be my Craft name. My main reasons for maintaining it are personal - It derives from a Germanic word meaning "cliff." I chose it because I tend to think of myself as standing on a cliff, looking over and considering everything, if that makes sense. That aside, I don't worship with other people and the Gods know who I am, so it's more of a reminder than a mark of identification.

On a more pragmatic level, my legal name is Christopher, but I go by Topher, which of course is "Christopher" without the "Chris." I hate the name Chris (for myself) and always have. Some years ago a friend started calling me Topher and it stuck, and that is the name I identify most with now. I plan on having it legally changed, actually. This too has a personal element to it, though. I'm a much different person than I once was, and I have no desire to ever be that former person again. Taking a new name helps me to sort of cement myself into my new self.
            You know, for some reason I genuinely thought your name was Clive. There's just certain people here who have become their usernames to me. I just simply can't picture thalassa as anything but thal, even though I know her real name. Same with Chain, Jem, Rafe (okay, bad example), Corbin, etc.

I know TS better as his real name than as TS, and I know Bjorn as her real name better, too. It's weird how it's pick and choose like that...

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              You know, for some reason I genuinely thought your name was Clive. There's just certain people here who have become their usernames to me. I just simply can't picture thalassa as anything but thal, even though I know her real name. Same with Chain, Jem, Rafe (okay, bad example), Corbin, etc.

I know TS better as his real name than as TS, and I know Bjorn as her real name better, too. It's weird how it's pick and choose like that...
              Yeah, well, I'm like the skunk in Bambi...you can call me a flower if you want to.
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
                So there you have it, in a nutshell. Do you have a pagan/magical name? If so why? How did you choose it and what does it mean to you? (please feel free to skip this last question if it is too personal)
                I recently performed a dedication to the craft in general (I currently have no coven), and was without name and asked that one be presented to me. It has yet to do so. I had one previously but I do not believe it fits any longer. Good luck in your search.

Comment

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond to everyone... been one of those weeks so far!

Thanks everyone for your responses, it's given me lots to think about.

I'm really happy with the name I eventually chose, the dedication was a lovely experience and I have much better understanding as to the point behind a new name within the coven. (just an update for anyone who may be interested)
                  http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                  X