Modern pagan beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern pagan beliefs

I'm new to this forum so hello everyone. I'm also new to exploring paganism and am trying to see if my current belief system could be described as pagan. I have had no real interest in many of the 'teachings' of the major religions and find it difficult not to criticise them even though I accept that it is a right of everyone to have their own beliefs. There are too many inconsistences. As far as I can see pagan comes from a latin word which originally meant 'those who live in the country'.....outside of towns, rural dwellers. Back in pre Christian/islamic days people would have had a close affinity with the land and seasons because it gave them a means of feeding themselves and their families. It would have been important to understand nature and its ebbs and flows. Living off the land would have meant being 'unsophisticated' by city/town standards. Were there ever common 'pagan' beliefs ? Probably only those connected to the climate and nature. Most small communities probably lived in isolation for much of their time, perhaps only coming together with other nearby communities to trade etc.

Its not difficult to see how they would have developed their own traditions and means of worship/understanding of nature. Perhaps modern society influences us all much more than we would like and we try to overcomplicate things too much. Their is nothing wrong with ancient traditions and they can be interesting and fun ! Any 'tradition' always started as a new idea at some point. Others liked this new idea and followed it. To me , the interesting point is how the fundamental belief in the ways and importance of nature have remained despite the interference of the major religions and their attempts to 'demonise' pagan beliefs. Modern day environmentalists are influenced by this 'instinct' that most human beings seem to have somewhere in their brains that 'nature' must be kept in balance.

Re: Modern pagan beliefs

Common 'pagan' beliefs are generally not very specific. Reverence for nature was just one of these many common "pagan" traits. So yes, paganism can be called "nature worship", but historically, there have been other defining characteristics as well. If you're talking about historical paganism, some things seem pretty timeless and culturally universal, like animism, deities, ritual offerings, divination,and sympathetic magic. Traditions change, and are replaced by new ones, (New Gods, new methods, etc.) but many of the aforementioned universal ideas have likely persisted since the dawn of mankind.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Hi followyourheart. For the most part, 'pagan' means polytheist. The alternative meaning for it is, pretty much "not one of the big three judaic religions". Basically, if you pick the first meaning, I couldn't really tell you if your beliefs fit, because I don't know if you believe in multiple gods of any (or no) pantheon. As far as the second meaning goes, you're surely pagan, but no more or less so than are Buddhists, hindus, wiccans, or any other religion that isn't judaic in its background. I have been a bit of a pantheist (though I didn't realize it), but lately I think I'm turning into a pantheistic polytheist. In that I believe there are beings here in service to humanity (and thus the Great Overarching Creative Intelligence) who are what we would think of as "Gods" that have sovereignty and power in certain areas of life. I don't think I relate well to pantheism, because I don't see the Earth as illusion, per se. So ultimately, select whether or not it feels right to be considered a polytheist. If so, then I'd say that you're a pagan. If you don't feel you're a polytheist, but you truly want a community, I'd say it'd still be fine for you to consider yourself pagan, in that you're not a christian, jew, or muslim. (apparently it's impossible to use paragraph breaks if you use the quick reply. Ugh)
      Last edited by SPhoenix; 22 Mar 2013, 11:34. Reason: my paragraph breaks went bye-bye! AHHH!

Comment

Hello and welcome, sir!
        Modern paganism is not very dogmatized, so it's difficult to give a direct description of modern pagan beliefs. As far as I know, the only way to really tell is to look around at some of it and see if it feels right to you, maybe read a few books- Drawing Down the Moon is a very good introduction as it covers a broad spectrum of neopagan/wiccan cultures, beliefs, and practices.
        Blessings on your path

Comment

Contemporary Paganism is really an umbrella term for a few different strains of religious beliefs and practices...in the very most general of terms, nearly all Pagan traditions are either goddess-based, earth-based, or polytheistic, and mostly rooted in a Western or indigenous European cultural frame of reference. There is actually a lot of (internet) debate about who should or should not be using the label Pagan, and who has or has not decided to abandon it, but by and large, if you can fit your religious beliefs and/or practices into a space where those ideas overlap, and I think you are fairly safe to call yourself Pagan.

And even if you can't, you are welcome here anyhow!
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. The word Pagan has been mis used and mis interpreted in Christian times especially. I have enjoyed festivals like "Christmas" and "Easter" as a child but have struggled to understand them as an adult as I have not followed a recognised faith. As a child I danced round the Maypole at school without being taught its history and meaning. My parents, especially my mum, seemed to have a particular affection for Easter, but not necessarily in a religious sense. She came from an extremely poor background and some of her relatives were from the gypsy community. She has talked a little about them but always seemd quite proud when she did. I guess with her lifelong love of gardening and her need to always be barefoot when she was in her garden, she had an affinity with nature that she has passed on to me. She is 90 now and cannot wait for the warmer weather so that she can have one last time in her garden. In recent years I have done voluntary work for the National Trust either locally or on working 'holidays '! The joy I get from spending time outside in unspoilt environments cannot be measured. Getting back at the end of a working day, tired but very peaceful within perhaps was the feeling that rural workers throughout history have also felt. Being part of your environment, not in awe of it but at the same time mesmerised by both it's simplicity and its interconnecting complexity. Appreciating how the smallest of things is important in the grand scheme, understanding that if care is not taken with it, nature will suffer and so will we. Sorry to ramble on a bit but my life is taking a different path at the moment and so many thoughts are in my mind !! I have always enjoyed the simpler things that life has to offer but until recent times lifes responsibilities have kept me from being my true self. I will read some of the suggested books as knowledge can only be a good thing, but I want to keep things as simple as possible as I have a feeling deep within me that knows what direction I must take and these are the early steps. I will always be interested in everyone's replies.

Comment

Since I define pagan as a reverence for the patterns and cycles of nature, i.e. one's habitat (whatever that happens to be), I consider modern paganism to have a few beliefs that are intrinsic to it. While it is an incredibly broad umbrella term that covers many religious, spiritual, and philosophical identities, the emphasis on nature means that pagans almost universally believe that nature is a good thing and is sacred in some fashion. Aside from that, paganism is largely non-dogmatic and most pagan religions place much stronger emphasis on practices and actions than on holding a certain set of beliefs.

I don't define paganism as inherently theistic, but most pagan revivalists happen to be polytheistic, animistic, or pantheistic. That is to say, there is considerable overlap between pagan revivalism and polytheistic revivalism. But that is more of a general trend, not a rule.

Comment

Working...
              X