Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you really know if a god/goddess is calling you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you really know if a god/goddess is calling you?

I've been fond of Artemis since childhood and have found myself praying to her (and Nemetona) for the last few months. I have dreamt of some of Artemis' sacred animals which is understandable since I've been researching her as of late. But I wonder, how do you really know if a god/goddess is calling you, or even if they are interested?

I remember being comforted by gazing at the full moon the night my grandfather passed away. I often see the moon at the oddest times, during the daytime, or just as the clouds part. I know that one's perception can be influenced by hopes and fears, which is why I keep an open mind in light of both. But is it all coincidence or could it actually mean something?

I have been wanting to make a little shrine dedicated to Artemis, which is why I also have been wondering about altars and the purpose they serve. For example, when one uses an athame does he/she really see what they are cutting, or is it more symbolic? I've done much research but I would like some dialogue too.

Re: How do you really know if a god/goddess is calling you?

There are many paths to one truth.
    The gods and goddesses call in different ways, so I could not begin to tell you how Artemis herself might call you. It does sound to me, though, that she is. You must, however, realize that I think, though the deities exist in the Underworld and are very real, they only embody aspects of the universe and are not necessarily the moniker they go by. If you were male, I'd say that Artemis was certainly not calling you, but seeing as you are female, I don't see it as that out of the question.

The more important thing here that makes me think that, yes, Artemis is calling to you, is that you are calling to her. When two spirits make a connection in the underworld, they do not call one to the other. They call for each other. If you feel a genuine connection to her, then she is most certainly calling for you in some fashion or another. If you feel as though an Artemis Shrine is necessary, then build it.

Trust yourself and your intuition. Only you know best.

As for the altar, the purpose it serves, in my opinion, is to act as a house for the props you need. I say props because tools of magick, to me, have always been symapthetic magick. They serve to bring your mind into itself and into the other worlds. To get that chemical shift needed to bring about an otherworldly state of mind. What I think you mean by:

Originally posted by Moonlight Mayhem View Post
    For example, when one uses an athame does he/she really see what they are cutting, or is it more symbolic?
    ..is visualization. A lot of people require meditative states of mind to properly visualize, but when your athame is cutting something like the circle to open it, or a spiritual cord from one thing to another (for example), many learn to see this with their eyes open, but are still visualizing. In that sense, it is symbolic in its very nature, There are Athame, however, that are meant to actually cut things like herbs. This would be actual cutting so you would obviously see it.

Good luck!

Comment

You don't necessarily need to be 'called' by a deity in order to accept one into your workings. If you feel a connection or a real interest on your part, don't wait for a reason. Just go after it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
        You don't necessarily need to be 'called' by a deity in order to accept one into your workings. If you feel a connection or a real interest on your part, don't wait for a reason. Just go after it.
        It's the connection that is usually the call. Feeling a connection to anything means that the thing in question is making a call, and that you need to take a closer look and examine it. Hence, my post above.

Comment

I agree with Ljubezen, not everyone ever gets called to a deity. It is not something that happens to everyone, to openly have back and forth communication with one, in fact it is not even as common as some people believe. Don't fret too much about an obvious sign, sometimes all you get is a subtle hint, just a little "I'm watching out for you." or "you are protected" and that is all (swear I don't mean to sound pervy... )

if the moon has comforted you, then maybe it is a connection, even if it is just minor. If building a shrine feels like the right thing to do, it likely is. Follow what you feel, that is the only way to go!
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

LizardMind: Thank you for such a detailed answer. I started praying to Artemis due to a specific situation, but now it seems I wish to honor her. I've been reading much of her history as of late and I like thinking about how she would react in certain situations (some of it is actually amusing). Regarding the athame question, I've seen the "cutting" done on YouTube videos, but I was wondering what the experience was like for the individual, so thank you for providing insight on that as well. I visualize often but I don't feel comfortable being in meditative states because I can't really control what I'm dreaming about.

Ljubezen: I've read that deities could be uninterested, so I was kind of under the impression that they had to "accept" you. And it would be odd to pray continuously to one that hasn't done so. Like someone you don't know suddenly coming up to you and telling you their life story. That's an awful analogy I know.

Lizard Mind: Some people speak of having definite visions, so I was wondering if it would be something more specific. My dreams are normally all over the place, but I noticed when I slept with my Artemis pendant under my pillow that my dreams were more specific to what I was going through.

Comment

Ljubezen: I've read that deities could be uninterested, so I was kind of under the impression that they had to "accept" you. And it would be odd to pray continuously to one that hasn't done so. Like someone you don't know suddenly coming up to you and telling you their life story. That's an awful analogy I know.
              I don't know where you read that, but I've never come across it... ever... nor experienced it. I've had far more sources refer to deities responding positively to attention than negatively...

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                I agree with Ljubezen, not everyone ever gets called to a deity. It is not something that happens to everyone, to openly have back and forth communication with one, in fact it is not even as common as some people believe. Don't fret too much about an obvious sign, sometimes all you get is a subtle hint, just a little "I'm watching out for you." or "you are protected" and that is all (swear I don't mean to sound pervy... )

if the moon has comforted you, then maybe it is a connection, even if it is just minor. If building a shrine feels like the right thing to do, it likely is. Follow what you feel, that is the only way to go!

Haha, I was thinking it was common since many speak about having patron deities. I will give the shrine more consideration. Everything feels wrong at the moment even though the connection feels natural.

I don't know where you read that, but I've never come across it... ever... nor experienced it. I've had far more sources refer to deities responding positively to attention than negatively...

I think it was like they would just ignore you if they weren't interested.

Comment

Are you looking for a kind of back and forth communication with this deity? Generally speaking, I only ever had anything close to that with one deity and it's not even like we communicate. More like... I make sure I act in accordance with common morals and lifestyles, and occasionally when I'm dealing with something or I'm ignoring something I'll feel a presence. But he's still the one I turn to when things go dark.

Point: You don't necessarily need to have them look directly at you and give you direct attention (you may not even want that kind of attention...) in order to have them be a part of your life.

Comment

Are you looking for a kind of back and forth communication with this deity? Generally speaking, I only ever had anything close to that with one deity and it's not even like we communicate. More like... I make sure I act in accordance with common morals and lifestyles, and occasionally when I'm dealing with something or I'm ignoring something I'll feel a presence. But he's still the one I turn to when things go dark.

Point: You don't necessarily need to have them look directly at you and give you direct attention (you may not even want that kind of attention...) in order to have them be a part of your life.
                    Thank you for sharing your personal experience. I honestly wouldn't want direct attention, I really don't even need to be called, I was just wondering if there has been signs (and where to go from there).

Comment

Signs are something only you can really interpret, because it will "feel right." And nobody else has any right to say yes it is, or no it isn't. Do what feels right for you.

As for where to go... I looked to lore and just sort of developed from there. Just an idea.

Comment

I've been fond of Artemis since childhood and have found myself praying to her (and Nemetona) for the last few months. I have dreamt of some of Artemis' sacred animals which is understandable since I've been researching her as of late. But I wonder, how do you really know if a god/goddess is calling you, or even if they are interested?

I remember being comforted by gazing at the full moon the night my grandfather passed away. I often see the moon at the oddest times, during the daytime, or just as the clouds part. I know that one's perception can be influenced by hopes and fears, which is why I keep an open mind in light of both. But is it all coincidence or could it actually mean something?

I have been wanting to make a little shrine dedicated to Artemis, which is why I also have been wondering about altars and the purpose they serve. For example, when one uses an athame does he/she really see what they are cutting, or is it more symbolic? I've done much research but I would like some dialogue too.
                        I have long suspected that when we go seeking the gods, they often come seeking us. So if you are drawn to Artemis, the inference is that she will be drawn to you. Male or female, young or old, these things make no difference. It's how it all feels to you that matters.

As for your comments about the moon - there seems to be some unwritten law in the psychic world that means when something has significance for you, you notice it more often.

Move forward in small steps. No rushing, no grand gestures. If it is co-incidence, then you'll soon know. And even then you have to ask yourself, does it matter? There is some reason why you feel drawn to this deity, why you have researched her... who are we to say what that is?

I can remember some years ago feeling a very strong pull towards the norse deity Ullr (god of skis, forests and archery amongst other things.) It made little sense at first - especially since I didn't follow the Norse gods. But eventually - after something of a roller coaster ride, it all fell into place.

I never use an athame as such, so can't offer much advice on your question regarding that. Personally, with Artemis I would be more inclined to work with arrows anyway.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Signs are something only you can really interpret, because it will "feel right." And nobody else has any right to say yes it is, or no it isn't. Do what feels right for you.

As for where to go... I looked to lore and just sort of developed from there. Just an idea.
                          The shrine idea popped up after learning about her correspondences. I'm going to continue my research and see what else comes to me. :^^:

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                          I have long suspected that when we go seeking the gods, they often come seeking us. So if you are drawn to Artemis, the inference is that she will be drawn to you. Male or female, young or old, these things make no difference. It's how it all feels to you that matters.

As for your comments about the moon - there seems to be some unwritten law in the psychic world that means when something has significance for you, you notice it more often.

Move forward in small steps. No rushing, no grand gestures. If it is co-incidence, then you'll soon know. And even then you have to ask yourself, does it matter? There is some reason why you feel drawn to this deity, why you have researched her... who are we to say what that is?

I can remember some years ago feeling a very strong pull towards the norse deity Ullr (god of skis, forests and archery amongst other things.) It made little sense at first - especially since I didn't follow the Norse gods. But eventually - after something of a roller coaster ride, it all fell into place.

I never use an athame as such, so can't offer much advice on your question regarding that. Personally, with Artemis I would be more inclined to work with arrows anyway.
                          I didn't know that Artemis was associated with the moon until recent years, but it was only a few months ago that I personally began associating her with it. Once I did reflecting on those past occurrences was interesting and it certainly made me listen to the song "Lady Moon" by Kellianna differently. I like your advice of taking things slow which is why I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I certainly want to incorporate her archetype into my life. Praying does make it more real for me, because one wouldn't pray if they truly thought it was pointless. I love the idea of working with arrows.

Comment

You can always control what you dream about. You just have to will yourself to do so!

Comment

Working...
                            X