Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing Music

Does anyone play any instruments?
    I play the guitar, bass, and the baritone. For the baritone I play whatever my High School wants me to.
    But when I am playing guitar and bass I am playing black metal.
    Also what are your favorite bands?
    Mine are - Inquisition - TOOL - Nirvana - Burzum - Classical Music (Genre) - Jefferson Airplane - The Doors - and many others.

Re: Playing Music

Hi Darkhalf! YES! I love to play music!! I play acoustic guitar, sing and write songs. I wouldn't say I play piano, but I can make some noises that sound nice out of the instrument.
    I don't have favourite bands, I have favourite songs and favourite song writers. I enjoy almost everything written by Jon Foreman and Matthew Thiesson. I love Foreman's depth, and Thiesson's fun and snappy but meaningful lyrics. I think TOOL write some incredibly lyrically profound and musically ingenious songs... although I wouldn't consider myself a fangirl.
    For me, music is my self expression and my voice. I'm not a good speaker, but I can form a bond with an audience or a person when I am singing. Music has the ability to give voice to our feelings and experiences in a way words alone cannot.
    Darkhalf, what do you to further your musicianship?

Comment

I play acoustic guitar, write and sing songs. I recently learned how to play drums, but I don't have a set at the moment. Working on that.

Favorite bands, hmm... I love a wide array of music. If it doesn't bother anyone, I'll make a list by genre (Don't worry, it's only about fifteen pages long).

These are my go to- Lindsey Stirling, Against Me!, Green Day, Walk off the Earth, Sarah Blackwood, Piano Guys, Sungha Jung.
      Punk/ Grunge- Nirvana, Anti-Flag, Fifteen, Ghost Mice, Johnny Hobo and Freight Trains, Andrew Jackson Jihad, NOFX, Bad Religion, Blink 182.
      Metal- Slayer, Metallica, Lacuna Coil, Slipknot, Godsmack, Arkona, Epica
      Goth- Placebo, Evanescence, The Dresden Dolls, Vermilion Lies, Jack Off Jill, Emilie Autumn.
      Hip Hop/Rap- DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, Biz Markie, Ali Tomineek, Atmosphere, Immortal Technique, Dead Prez, Bone Thugs N' Harmony, ABK, Twiztid
      Pagan- Tricky Pixie, S.J. Tucker, Trilian Green
      Other- Mumford and Sons, Organic Flood

How many actually though it was going to be fifteen pages!

Comment

<3 Andrew Jackson Jihad

Comment

Thank you for the reply Azvanna, the statement about the piano goes for me as well. As to your question ("Darkhalf, what do you to further your musicianship?") I will answer it in two parts, first about lyrics then about music its self.
          For the lyrics, if I want something that really makes people listen I try to find a emotion. Then I think of a memory that the emotion is attached to. So I basically pour myself in a cup, the use the emotion to write about the subject matter.
          For the musical portion, I think of what I want to people to see in their minds eye. I want to take them into my mind and show them around a bit. I thinking working on that skill really makes people more musical.
          Also I love your comment about TOOL!

- - - Updated - - -

PsykhikosAnarchosNautikos- You have a very awesome taste in music, it is good to know a lot of bands. I wish I could learn to play the drums, but I don't want to anger the neighbors. And thank you for not actually writing 15 pages.

Comment

I am lucky enough that one of my good friends is a drum teacher. We traded martial arts for drumming so I didn't have to pay the usually $30 an hour fee (drum lessons are expensive!). I have to stick to the djembe and paradiddles because I don't have the space for a set. Once thing, it has helped my timing and rhythm A LOT for guitar. And you're welcome for not writing 15 pages. Maybe next time...

Comment

Yesss I play instruments.
              I'm able to play a bunch, I mostly sing and play the guitar though. But I can play piano accordion, piano, alto and baritone sax, mandolin, banjo and Irish whistle as well. But I have a really bad habit of learning instruments for the sake of learning them and then not doing much with them after that.

I like a lot of the bands you like actually, OP. Especially Tool. Them, the Decemberists and Arkona are presently my favorite bands.

selume proferre

Comment

I play guitar and am learning the concertina. usually just simple guitar/vocals kinda deal.
                There's always something left.

Comment

I guess I should say more than I heart andrew jackson jihad.

I play a lot of instruments, primarily drums and piano, but then bass, guitar, and a few more, but not well enough to note.

I love playing and making music, but sadly I don't do to much of it these days. I bought some pretty nice recording equipment a while ago, but it just primarily collects dust, and seeing as I can't play drums in my apartment I'm sort of out of luck.

As far as what I like I guess I have pretty weird Taste I like Punk a lot, especially folk-punk like AJJ. I also like bands like Sigur Ros and Bon Iver, and then a lot of "Indie stuff". I can't say I'm particularly fond of Tool. Not because I don't think their extremely talented but my Brother growing up was a fan boy for sure, and I've heard enough Tool, and enough about Tool, and Maynard James Keenan for a lifetime.

But anyway, if anybody has any of their own recording stuff and would like to try to make something together that could be cool.

Comment

Clemens! Can we do stuff using your recording gear? I don't own a shred of anything... Except my instrument. Martin DCX1E. Be jealous.

Comment

I play a lot of music! The instruments I play are piano, guitar, vocals, drums, bass, kazoo (though it's not that difficult), a whacky home made drumkit which has like a tamborine, triangle, drum and table, and I thumb bang poly-rhythms all the time

Favourite bands: Evanescence, Flyleaf, Icon for Hire, Anberlin, Avenged Sevenfold, Shinedown, Theory of a Deadman, Florence and the machine, The Agonist, Linkin Park, Disturbed, Eluveite, that sort of stuff
                      "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                      - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Had to share this beautiful interview with you.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...05658#comments

Ben Lee is one of Australia's most successful musical performers. In this interview, he talks about his journey of spirituality and how it has related to his music. He touches on many points including leadership in music, interconnectedness that music can bring to a group of perfect strangers, how he came to realise the purpose in his music gift, how he deals with criticism, his experiences with Ayahuasca, what mystical death means and the effect it has on world-view and his connection with and wishes for his family.

Humour me and set aside some time. Have a listen to this interview and then ask yourself these big questions:
                        • Why is it important to you to play music?
                        • What do you see as your unique contribution to your community through music?
                        • How much self-expression do you allow in your music? Why do you self-censor?
                        • Do you need other people in your life to enable you to create the music you want to? Why do you think that is?

Discovery questions like these help set a vision and philosophy for your music that act as motivators. When I've revisited these questions over the years, my answers have changed, reflecting growth. Just as we would never box ourselves into doctrine here on Pagan Forum (hahah) it's equally important to remain open to new things in music. I am doing things and have ways of thinking now that I never dreamt of. I'm looking forward to hearing how my music will reflect these changes.

What questions have you asked of yourself as a musician that have helped you develop creatively and spiritually?

Comment

I play guitar and bass from time to time. I've also learned piano for a bit many years ago but I kind of gave that up.
                          On guitar I just mess around and make up stuff, eventually and slowly forming songs. I write lyrics sometimes too. For music I play exclusively metal: - black, death, and thrash.
                          For music listening I like the same. Don't listen to much else, but I do like other kinds of music that is deep, intense, generally fast, and most importantly has a non-commercial sound to it. Like for example some types of classical, opera, bluegrass.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
                            For music I play exclusively metal: - black, death, and thrash.
                            I listen to extreme metal very often, but surprisingly I don't like playing metal on my bass guitar. This fact I deem rather strange.
                            Instead, I enjoy playing and compose neofolk music. I also belong to a rock/blues band and recently we're going to record a demo and start performing live. Also, I used to run a lo-fi noise project with my friend which was a very interesting experience.
                            I adhere to a principle that one ought to commune with plenitude of types of music, as they convey different emotions and none of the genres is ultimately sufficient, harsh sounds should be replenished with celestial, violent compositions should be poised by mellow ones and so on...

Comment

I can play oboe, flute, piano, recorder, other traditional flutes, a little guitar and ukelele, and various percussion (especailly chromatic percussion, my favorites being vibraphone and glockenspiel).

I like pretty much all music ever... a lot of my favorites are surprisingly j-idol music, eurobeat (as in, the Italian Hi-NRG music), and alternative bands like They Might Be Giants. I also love contemporary classical music and concert band music. I'm getting into brass band music recently, as I've joined a brass band (I play the mallet percussion in it). I really like Robert W Smith, Gustav Holst, and Masashi Hamauzu. Hamauzu is my favorite composer.

But I really like everything, from Beethoven to Sinatra to Beatles to Rebecca Black. Anything XZD

Comment

Working...
                              X