Merry Meet from 'demon,' a philosophical pagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merry Meet from 'demon,' a philosophical pagan

My user name may sound strange but is the English translation of the Greek word that meant a spirit that usually helps people, such as the great pagan philosopher Socrates thought one helped him. I am not Satanist; I consider (as the Gnostics said) the Abrahamic religions (Abrahamism) to be Satanism; my user name is meant to offend their members, beside being a Classical pagan word.

I have been on the 'net before it became popular, and I sought a good pagan forum. This one seems nice. It does seem slightly Euro-/Western-centric, since besides pagan meaning 'country-dweller,' it means 'person not in Abrahamism.' It would be appropriate to have sections on just about any other religion, but they are not there (maybe there is not much interest.)

I came to find a place to maybe discuss European paganism, including what a modern type based on Classical Greek philosophy, Descartes, German idealism (IMO, the deepest philosophy since the Classical Greek, since Descartes and German idealism developed Classical-based ideas further, unlike other philosophical movements around the same time.) My type of modern pagan philosophy can be called a combination of Hermetism, Pythagoreanism, Neoplatonism, Gnosticism, Cartesianism, Leibnizianism, Hegelianism, Nietzscheanism (though the last four I studied less the later they occurred,) and it focuses on mathematics.

To me, there are two ways of viewing reality: mathematical, superstitional. Maths is the subject that states things most precisely, and other ideas such as based on common conceptions of magic, are not stated with any clarity based on objective meaning/evidence and are vague superstition. I do not believe in divination (astrology, numerology, nor the tens of others) and probably not spells. However, I think magic in the sense of some (but not all theorized) psychic powers exists, as well as that of life force or energy, as detailed in far Eastern pagan philosophy such as Yoga and Taoism. In fact, there is a lot about such force or energy that almost no one begins to understand, but that I went through a personal discovery of from Yoga and meditation, in which I did not understand in the farthest advanced detail, but which proved to me that reality is fundamentally other than matter (i.e., reality is life/mind/soul/spirit) and that there is much higher consciousness beyond the body, and that learning about reality of life force or energy, and mind, is both empowering and usually much more detailed, challenging, and harder to apply, than people imagine.

Religious pagans should be more interested in maths than science and philosophy, because maths can be called the synthesis of those. Philosophy is often subjectively idealist (idealism is the viewpoint something related to 'ideal forms,' such as in the mind, not matter, is fundamental existence) and science is often 'objectively' materialist (opposite of idealist,) however maths is traditionally objectively idealist. With this focus, maths helps people focus rationally like in traditional Western pagan thought but not restricted to the material world. Of course, one can take a similar position in philosophy: rationalist idealism, whether one prefers to have such mathematical philosophy rather than philosophical maths (as actually doing maths can be difficult,) though I think studying it just to understand reality helps. Maths is not just about numbers, arithmetic, equations, shapes, processes, but is about formal logic and proofs: almost no one but academic mathematicians has a clue that is fundamental to maths, nor what the advanced things it really studies are. Maths is actually the vastest subject of knowledge, because it is the only subject built up for millennia without really changing, unlike science which had its main ideas completely overturned after millennia, then after centuries, and regularly since then. Though scientists are often smart, their usual personality type makes them not as smart as the smartest mathematicians, so the fools of science ignore or are even incapable of comprehending that science fully depends on maths, but maths depends on nothing and is the only thing that can ever explain all of reality precisely and really at all.

To me, in the tradition of the great ancient/Classical Greek pagan thinkers--Pythagoras, Socrates, Plato, Plotinus--and the philosopher-mathematicians Descartes and Leibniz, and modern philosophers who build on their work, reality is fundamentally mathematical. Pythagoras and Socrates or Plato basically said that. To me, all that fundamentally exists is mathematical points, and they are living minds/souls that Leibniz (inventor of standard calculus) called monads. Non-Greek European ideas of life/mind/soul/spirit apart from those in Abrahamism (which is not European, but West Asian) may not be very detailed, but in far East paganism they detailed and then deconstructed such ideas. Sanatana Dharma ('Hinduism') probably has the most detailed and interesting idea of levels of consciousness, but Buddha Dharma's idea in Chandrakirti's sevenfold reasoning deconstructed that, and at the same time, any idea of soul made of multiple parts. However, mathematical points as defined by Euclid are those which have no part(s).

With my focus on Greek philosophy, I am Hellenist to some extent but equally interested in most the pagan, especially all European (and most Indo-European) religions/philosophies.

I do not believe in any 'creator deity,' and if anything must be called divine (or the cause of the universe) it is maths, as well as any being that attains mastery of maths, and I think there was a first being in the universe to do so. Athena and Hermes-Thoth are the gods of maths. I like to consider the other Olympians (and some Protogenoi and Titans) and pagan gods as working with such gods--if they exist. Since I am gnostic, I do not even believe in Athena and Hermes, but I used to worship them and many other pagan gods and still find myself thinking about (and sometimes semi-consciously invoking in my mind) the gods of intelligent ideas, such as the gods of reason (Apollo,) knowledge (Prometheus,) wisdom (Metis and Zeus, besides Athena) maths, as well as more common gods whose aspects I like.

I am against Abrahamism not just because it makes absurd, completely unclear claims incompatible with maths, but the story of Abraham in the Bible & Koran--as well as the rest of those books and New Testament themselves--are the sickest story every told. A sadistic 'God' spoke to a person, and/or he was schizophrenically hallucinating, which made the idea fundamental to all Abrahamism that if 'God' says kill someone, you must. That is clear in the Bible, which it is argued records Moses had Midianite girls sacrificed, and the rest of the Midianites, Canaanites were massacred, Jephthah sacrificed his daughter, as well as many other killings, and Jesus said 'I come not to bring peace, but a sword' (and the Aramaic Bible version the Syrian Orthodox church has makes it clear he was a revolutionary inciting Israelites to have fair fights with the Romans and to get them in trouble,) killed a fig tree and told his apostles they could do such things (it was deliberate malice against nature,) let demons kill a herd of pigs, damned unbelievers to Hell, and the insane extremely misogynist and abusive warlord Muhammad damned them, either planned or carried out massacres such as of a Jewish tribe, and his Koran says heathens will be enslaved, tortured, killed on just about every page or so--sometimes more. It was the Christian murder of Hypatia of Alexandria, last Neoplatonic Academy Scholarch, that brought in the dark ages, when Christianity and Islam started converting and otherwise exterminating paganism across the world.

So that is a bit about me... I do not plan to discuss Abrahamism here again unless I debate 'half-pagans,' which I hope would happen rationally and coolly on both sides, despite that my criticism would be heavy and I would reply to everything I thought needed elaborating. I am not just a philosophical person who studies maths: I have been pretty creative/intellectual most my life, as well as a pagan in the sense of 'country-dweller.' I do not know if I will say much more about myself, not just because my views are controversial, but because I might explain them more later if anyone wants.

Re: Merry Meet from 'demon,' a philosophical pagan

Welcome to the boards. I hope you find what you are looking for, community-wise, here (or somewhere ).

It can be difficult to find good fellowship on our 'nontraditional' or 'new age' (monikers I found hilarious in the extreme, by the way) paths.

Comment

Thanks. I also find those to be strange terms.

I am mostly a solitary pagan, though I have been to a few groups over the years... but I like discussion on the 'net more, as somewhat of an introverted intelletual who likes to seek out other intellectuals who are hard to find. It is sort of like people of my generation getting pen pals before the 'net was popular. Well, I discussed Abrahamism anyway in the general discussion area because someone already has, and as a Platonist, I like dialectic & debate... but I will try to keep mention of it out of the specific pagan areas... I just hope I do not start a flamewar. I have been known to in pagan places where admins have the absurd ideas 'all religions have the truth' or religions are equally good or should be treated as if they are. Mostly I keep to specific pagan discussion areas that are more intellectual, or more focused on paganism that did not get mostly wiped out by others so with their strong focus do not really bother with or allow discussion of others... but as I became strictly pagan in the last few years, I also wanted to join a good general pagan forum.

Comment

Originally posted by demon View Post
        Thanks. I also find those to be strange terms.

I am mostly a solitary pagan, though I have been to a few groups over the years... but I like discussion on the 'net more, as somewhat of an introverted intelletual who likes to seek out other intellectuals who are hard to find. It is sort of like people of my generation getting pen pals before the 'net was popular. Well, I discussed Abrahamism anyway in the general discussion area because someone already has, and as a Platonist, I like dialectic & debate... but I will try to keep mention of it out of the specific pagan areas... I just hope I do not start a flamewar. I have been known to in pagan places where admins have the absurd ideas 'all religions have the truth' or religions are equally good or should be treated as if they are. Mostly I keep to specific pagan discussion areas that are more intellectual, or more focused on paganism that did not get mostly wiped out by others so with their strong focus do not really bother with or allow discussion of others... but as I became strictly pagan in the last few years, I also wanted to join a good general pagan forum.
        I don't think there's any rule about keeping it to that forum. I meant it generally speaking, not specifically.

I have to admit that I like some debate and the like, too, here and there... but I'm not much of an intellectual. I just like to argue now and again.

I haven't been here long, so I don't know how they feel about the equality of religions. It's kind of a quiet board so far, but seems to be picking up some. Hard to say.

I go mostly by personal gnosis after I research something to death.

I'm afraid I won't be any fun to talk to for you, though, lol. At the word "math" my mouth falls open, drool comes out, and my eyes go vacant and sort of stupid-looking. Sort of reflecting my brain.

However, I do like to talk about various other things. So if your interests go beyond math, there might be common ground elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post
          [...] I go mostly by personal gnosis after I research something to death. [...]
          If you are gnostic, I think there are things we could discuss. My personal pagan traditional 'religious' focus eventually became mythology, but I am interested in other aspects of practice, mostly in the historical sense, but also for fun.

Comment

Hello and welcome!
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Math was never a good subject for me. Pass the calculator, please?

You seem like a very smart individual. I admire what you had to say. It was a lovely introduction.

I do see your points when it comes to the Abrahamic religions. Though, I really don't mind that particular group religion. Love and let love.

Of course, I could always point out that the Sabbats of Paganism involve a Mother Goddess having incest with her child, but you know...

Comment

Welcome.

Comment

I actually did well in maths! and philosophy! Which modern philosophers interest you most, or spark the most thinking (both +ve and -ve)

Welcome XD
                  "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                  - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Welcome. I look forward to reading more posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
                      I actually did well in maths! and philosophy! Which modern philosophers interest you most, or spark the most thinking (both +ve and -ve)
                      The God Series ebooks (which would have continued as articles, but someone plagiarized their work.) It is not about any 'creator God,' as I would call them polytheists, but not in the traditional sense. They do not believe in any 'creator' except mathematics, or that anything is divine except maths and beings who attain mastery of it. They believe in Platonic republicanism and the ideas of Rousseau, and I think the most important book ever written is the fifth book in the series (excluding book zero,) The God Equation (about Euler's formula & identity,) though book two, The Last Man Who Knew Everything (about Leibniz) has some of the most important foundational ideas (such as a modern explanation of Leibniz's idea of monads,) and book one, The God Game (once with the subtitle 'How to Create The Universe') is probably one of the more interesting for the less scientifically-inclined person (as is maybe book six, The God Secret, as it discusses a theory popular in 'New Age,' and book eight and nine, the most recent, are back to less math & physics-heavy, more metaphysical topics.) There are rare other philosophers that could be described as Leibnizian, but I am not very familiar with them. The site of the three writers I mentioned had over 2000000 words, and their books are either approaching 3000000 or something even much higher, and there will be a total of 12 books in the series, and then several more books. One of the writers condoned Golden Dawn, but I have the original main book on it, and it has Judeo-Christian elements, so I am not sure why they did. They take lots of different viewpoints, state good & bad points about many (even various Abrahamism, such as the few good historical ideas & statistics, besides heavily criticizing it and at other times saying it is 100% nonsense, inhuman, and probably the top problem of the world,) and so besides from their 'philosophical mathemaics,' including their new pure & applied mathematics, one really has to think for oneself when reading them, which is, as skeptical freethinking gnostic intellectuals, what they want people to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X