Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classical Hellenismos-based philosophy, or modern philosphy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Hellenismos-based philosophy, or modern philosphy?

Hellenismos, of all religious categories, has the first great philosophical, i.e. rationalist and idealist, tradition. Many Hellenists are Orphic, Pythagorean, pre-Socratic, Neoplatonic, Hellenistic philosophers, etc. However, since the Dark Ages separating those from modernity, there have been many advances in philosophy.

If you are a very philosophical pagan/Hellenist, have you considered integrating modern philosophical advances into traditional Classical philosophy views such as Neoplatonism? I think the the other great philosophical traditions of the world are Cartesianism and German idealism (and if Nietzsche is not idealist, he is related to that movement) because it further develops the ideas started with the ancient/Classical Greeks.

I would call myself a Hermetic-Pythagorean-Neoplatonist-Gnostic, but after that, a Cartesian-Leibnizian-Hegelian and perhaps Nietzschean.

One of Pythagoras' fundamental ideas, that Socrates or Plato paraphrased, can be described as the idea that reality is, fundamentally, purely mathematical. German idealism and modern philosophers continuing its ideas developed that Pythagorean-Neoplatonic idea farther.

As a follower of mathematical philosophy, I also like the idea of the gods of math--Athena, Hermes-Thoth--and the gods of intelligent ideas, which are particularly prevalent in Hellenismos.

Re: Classical Hellenismos-based philosophy, or modern philosphy?

I am more into modern philosophy, because it directly takes into account twenty five centuries of philosophical development since Socrates. Granted, I take a lot of classical philosophy into account, particularly Pythagoras. But a considerable amount of it is based on science and ideas that are no longer accurate to our understanding of the world.
    So it winds up that I'm more of an Existentialist than a Platonist, but not purely modern.

Note: I am not a Hellenic recon, though I have a strong interest in Hellenistic practices history, and culture, and primarily worship Hellenic deities.

Comment

Working...
    X