This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making A Book of Tarot Spreads

I'm currently working on a new project (I've got so many ) and I was hoping for some input from our lovely community, and I'm hoping I'm posting this in the right spot.

The project I'm working on is a book that I want to publish of tarot spreads. Each one is going to have a separate piece of artwork on the page with the spread. The opposite side is going to have what each card in the spread means. Now, my question for any of you lovely people, is simply this: For something like this, how much would you consider paying? Full color or black and white?

The book is going to be a collection of spreads I've found over the years I've been doing readings, or one's I've developed myself, and the artwork will all be my own original works made specifically for each one.
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Re: Making A Book of Tarot Spreads

That's a great idea. Personally, I like to keep my book buying below $20 a book, cheaper if possible, but if it's well worth it- captivating writing, well edited and appealing artwork- up to $25.

A little more information would be nice, like- the type of art, how many spreads and what kinds. You said original spreads and I think that is an excellent idea. Also, is it for beginners, advanced practitioners or any and all new and old to Tarot? Will there be any history, personal interpretations, uses for magic or just spreads and art work?

On color, black and white is nice as long there is depth (various shades), color is nice as long as it is not overtly bright or overtly opaque (but this depends on my mood)... honestly, either way is a good choice, it just really depends on the type of art. These are also just my viewpoints. I hope this doesn't come off as critical at all, because a new Tarot spread book with original art work and spreads is a welcome addition to any Tarot reader/enthusiasts library.

Comment

The sketchbook I'm working with has 90 pages in it, so the book would have about 180-200 pages total, 90 of them being the spreads with artwork, the opposite side having the explanation on how to do each one. As for what extra things might be in it, I was more thinking of just using the spreads, just because I find it difficult to put out information like that without feeling like I've blatantly plagiarized it from any deck, or book on how to read the cards I've gotten over the years.

As for the type of art, I'll be uploading a few of the pages to my deviantart as I get them done over the next few days, replacing the one's I've got that just has the basic outline of them, so if you've got a way to keep an eye on things there you'll be able to see them. I do a lot of fantasy artwork-mostly being in watercolor, acrylic, and woodburned pieces.

And don't worry, you're not sounding overly critical. You more sound like you're giving a critique or feedback, which is what I was hoping for. If I wanted overly critical, I would've gone and started a thread on 4chan lol
      sigpic

Comment

I am glad I wasn't harsh! If you send me a link to your art I would love to see it. I am also a Tarot collector as I have at least five decks and am working on getting more (I don't believe you should only own one deck... I am actually against that notion... Viva la Tarot!). Someday, when I improve my art I want to make a my own deck, but that's down the line. Anyway, 90 spreads is a good amount, especially with originals and art. It could definitely be a good sell on the esoterica book/Tarot market, even the gaming market because some people still view it as a game.

Comment

Sure! My deviantart is www.Dark-Crescent-Studio.deviantart.com

I'm working on a contest piece the next few days, but after that I'm hoping to start working on the cards and backgrounds for the spreads I've already drawn up.
          sigpic

Comment

Good stuff! I like Moonlit Kitty Cat and your skulls. Your dragons are epic. I love dragons.

Comment

Thanks! I like my dragons too. I was tryin to make a dragon out of candle wax, but it turns out that I accidentally managed to create a giant air pocket in the center so that idea went out the door >_<
              sigpic

Comment

Thats the link to the first of the spread pages I've gotten done. I'd post it from my dA but the quality is too low (its from my phone) for me to feel comfortable posting it there
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
                  https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...58742592_n.jpg

Thats the link to the first of the spread pages I've gotten done. I'd post it from my dA but the quality is too low (its from my phone) for me to feel comfortable posting it there
                  Oooh, what can you tell me about this Rose spread (nice work, too!)?
                  No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Sure! It's actually one of my favorite spreads honestly, especially when it comes to people trying to find love (which is one of the things that I get asked most often to do tarot readings on).

Rose petals focuses on the things you can do to find love vs "omg is ____ my love" or "who is my love" which is why I like it so much. Each of the cards focuses on the following:
                    1. This is something nice you can do for yourself to help you find love.
                    2. Something you need to learn (such as a lesson about yourself or whatever the card points to)
                    3. An issue you need to address (an example being one person I did a reading for his entire spread suggested basically "sit down, shut up, stop trying to push everything to where you want it to go and just let stuff go at its own pace)
                    4. The step you can take to find love
                    5. A goal you need to work towards (another example for this one would be a friend of mine who his biggest problem with finding love is self-fulfilling prophesy issues and the goal being that he needed to work towards breaking away from that)

Hope that helps and I'm glad you liked the artwork ^_^ I plan on doing a color version as well with watercolor, but thats definitely going to be the layout for the page itself
                    sigpic

Comment

Your Rose spread look's beautiful! I can't wait to see it colored!

Comment

Originally posted by chris1987 View Post
                        Your Rose spread look's beautiful! I can't wait to see it colored!
                        Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I got a second one done recently. This one's called Faerie Ring. (And cause I know the question's coming...)
                        This spread focuses on helping you look into yourself, and see things for how they really are. That's why I drew the blindfolded faerie. She sees without judgement, without the pretense of what you might put out for the rest of the world to see, and looks into your soul for the truth-both the good, and the bad. For this one you separate all the cards out into categories: major arcana, swords, wands, pentacles, cups, and Court cards (king, queen, knight, page). Shuffle each set individually for this and use the top card for the first part of this. The cards go as follows:
                        1. Major Arcana- This card shows your greatest spiritual strength
                        2.Wands-this card shows your most enterprising characteristic
                        3. Cups-This card shows your best emotional strength
                        4. Swords-This shows your strongest response to problems
                        5. Pentacles-This represents your most admirable financial/resource ability
                        6. Court Cards- This shows your favorite or best aspect of your personality.

For the second part of this, you use the same pattern, but you take the bottom card from each of those sets and lay it cross ways on top of the first card.
                        1. Major Arcana-This shows your most important spiritual challenge at this time
                        2.Wands-This shows your most problematic attitude towards work
                        3. Cups-This is your most difficult emotional challenge at this time
                        4. Swords-This shows your worst fear when facing problems
                        5. Pentacles-This shows your financial/resourceful weaknesses
                        6. Court Card-This shows your least favorite or worst aspect of your personality
                        sigpic

Comment

That sounds like it would be neat! And your artwork is awesome!

Comment

I decided to do this spread today, and I've got to say that it's probably the most successful reading I've ever done for myself. I really enjoyed the setup, because it demanded that I spend time with my cards and love on them a little bit which is important for me because mine have a tendency to be severe with me, as they are so mystic and Russian, so I don't often seek their counsel which means that every time, they lay the truth down without care because I've been distant. Anyway, so that much helped me reconnect, and then I just slept on it, letting the cards sit all perfectly in order and waiting to be shuffled on my altar.

This is what I drew:

1. Emperor
                            2. 4 of Wands
                            3. 3 of Cups
                            4. 10 of Swords
                            5. 3 of Coins
                            6. Queen of Swords

1B. The Sun
                            2B: Ace of Clubs
                            3B: Ace of Cups
                            4B: Ace of Swords
                            5B: Ten of Coins
                            6B: Page of Swords

VERY cool spread. Share more!
                            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Well, since I'm working on typing these up for the book anyways, are there any specific types of spreads you guys would like me to share at the moment? Love, advice, spiritual guidance, career, money?

Also, since it was requested-here are the colored versions of
                              Faerie Ring: https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...69894984_n.jpg
                              Rose Petals: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...05714742_n.jpg
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X