X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find your path?

Hello everyone!

I'm struggling to define my path.

Is there a set of questions, a quiz or any other way to quickly get a suggestion or at least a basic set of ideas?

I've read about various traditions, but I'm drawn to all of them and to none of them at the same time, at least not completely.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this!

Thanks in advance!

Re: How to find your path?

I'd start with how do you believe in the gods, and how and what do you worship...

and go from there, without worrying about the labels. There is nothing wrong with being Eclectic, or with exploring your options. The expectation (whether real or imagined) that new Pagans should have some fully formed theology is asking a bit much. HEck, I've been doing this for 20 years, and I still don't have a fully formed theology!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

You've already found your path. Pagan Pantheist. What's better than being able to see God in Everything? What more needs to be said or understood?

As rather a pantheist myself, I have given up on trying to define it. I am also drawn strongly to a vast many cultures. I find truth in everything--but I have never found all of the truth in any specific tradition or teaching. Even the Tao, the strongest pull I have, does not hold all of the truth. I think it holds the most truth and the least untruths... but it still doesn't quite hit the nail for me.

Far too often, we're asked by others "what do you believe", but that's not such a simple thing to answer for some of us. I do believe that "god" (the Great Divine Intelligence that Created Everything) is in all things, through all things, and is that within which we live and have our being.

But that isn't all. Not by any stretch. The Universe and life is so much more complex than simple pantheism for ME (not saying that others aren't welcome to embrace pantheism in its purest form, just doesn't work for me all by itself).

I think pagan pantheist is an amazingly accurate way to describe those of us whose paths are both extremely narrow, while being astoundingly broad. All deities have their gifts and virtues. And at various times I've been drawn to each. But I begin to understand now how each one has simply brought me only greater understanding of the Great Unifying Factor.

It's like the old proverb where the blind person finds an elephant and only touches the rump... then tries to describe it. I think that for some of us (like me), we need to just get in there and learn what every inch of that "elephant" feels like. Other people are content with their section of the elephant and that's perfect. We should each be able to have our own method or way of approaching God.

As I stated in another thread, that Divine being told me, "It doesn't matter what you call me, just as long as you call me."

Comment

Your last sentence says it all!!

Comment

Research different paths and pantheons and continue to pray, meditate, and/or worship as you see fit. A specific god/dess(es) may make themselves known to you at some point, they may not. As it has been said, there is nothing wrong with being eclectic or with simply seeing all of nature as the Divine. If you find joy and contentment in praying to the Earth, to all of nature, to the Universe or what have you, then enjoy the journey and smell the flowers along the way.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Keep learning, keep exploring. Never be content with the amount you know, as you'll never know all. Question and challenge, experiment and document. Keep a journal of some kind to keep track of your progress and look over it once in a while. You'll begin to see threads that seemed completely unrelated coming together to form a beautiful tapestry
            sigpic

Comment

Oh my, why in Heavens would you want to define your path? Words are such brittle things when you try to fit such big concepts into them!

Your path will reveal more of itself to you the longer you spend with it. You can just tell people that you're searching if you're worried about not being able to explain it. A lot of these yahoos who want you to explain it don't believe or respect it anyway, and therefore it's a waste of your breath.

At least in my personal opinion.
              No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                Oh my, why in Heavens would you want to define your path? Words are such brittle things when you try to fit such big concepts into them!

Your path will reveal more of itself to you the longer you spend with it. You can just tell people that you're searching if you're worried about not being able to explain it. A lot of these yahoos who want you to explain it don't believe or respect it anyway, and therefore it's a waste of your breath.

At least in my personal opinion.
                This, a hundred times.

Comment

I don't, can't, define my path in a strict traditional sense but I also believe having some sort of label helps me understand where I am and where I want to go, that is why I claim Chaos Pagan for these moments, because I love Chaos Magic Theory (mainly that "belief is a tool" and "the gods are dead, long live the gods!" type of ideals) and Paganism is almost impossible to put into a box. They are eclectic labels that define me perfectly- because chaos and paganism (modern definition, not root words) cannot be described in any simple way- I also like psychic anarchist as a defining label as well. Both these labels are filled with myth, magic, mystery, beauty and art- that is why I choose them for myself.

Anyway, the way I go about finding what I believe and labeling myself is first taking a look at my culture and genetic lines and if a path outside of my culture and genetics calls to me I look too the history and myths and their relations to my culture and genetics. I also look to my astrology and hobbies and the connections I find that relate to my favorite deities or deities that I perceive as calling me which then connects me to the ancient practices of their devotees which gives me a logical understanding and approach to my findings for personal use, whether it is philosophical musings, spiritual practices or life wisdom.

Like other posters said, sometimes the divine (whether deity or other spiritual guide) will abruptly come to you and shake your entire universe- this is when you have found a patron or guiding god/dess force, at least in my experience. Synchronicity is also a big aspect of finding your path (which may happen after a deity or powerful spirit implodes and awkwardly twists your world around). Let's say you chose to be a Buddhist, but not much changed in your life even though it helped you find some answers, but when you chose to be a Wiccan you started noticing changes in your subjective reality and your external life (not by magic but by 'chance'), such as people treating you differently in a kinder way, opportunities opening up and you finding you are more creative. This is a good way help you find and define a path that works for you. Sometimes paths mix, and that, to me, is the funnest aspect of the constant search for a never-gonna'-find-a-solid-for-life-label. Like other's said there is no reason to label yourself but I the label helps me and I know labels help others as well for their own reasons, that's why I offer my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X