Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Women health issues (The public version)

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Re: Women health issues (The public version)

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=687.msg10207#msg10207 date=1288973060]
    Yeah, but the point is that if you get side effects you change the pills, not try to suffer the side effects. :P Because it really depends on the person and the pill mark if you're getting the side effects or not and also if they have both estrogen and progesterone or just the second one. Same hormone but different pills and you might react compeletely differently. I've changed mine once because the previous ones made me grouchy.

Also one point in NuvaRing is that because it's changed once a month, the amount of hormones stay more stable and because of that you're supposed to get less side effects than with pills taken once per day. (Btw, i've heard two of my friends praise it and that's why I would have liked to test something similar)
    [/quote]

Every woman in my family who takes birth control needs to compliment it with anti-GO CRAZY pills, regardless of brand. So I've basically vowed to never try them. That besides, no matter how I look at it, they aren't natural.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2010

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=687.msg10215#msg10215 date=1288973930]
    Every woman in my family who takes birth control needs to compliment it with anti-GO CRAZY pills, regardless of brand. So I've basically vowed to never try them.
    [/quote]

Okay, i guess that's an acceptable reason. :P

That besides, no matter how I look at it, they aren't natural.
    Well.. yeah.. that sucks to be honest. But I think it's a less bad thing to take them something like 5 years of your life (time you're having a serious relationship but not babies) than being afraid all the time of getting pregnant (especially with my extremely non-stable menstruation cycle). After (hopefully) having babies some day I think I'm gonna get a coil.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=687.msg10218#msg10218 date=1288974253]
    Okay, i guess that's an acceptable reason. :P

Well.. yeah.. that sucks to be honest. But I think it's a less bad thing to take them something like 5 years of your life (time you're having a serious relationship but not babies) than being afraid all the time of getting pregnant (especially with my extremely non-stable menstruation cycle). After (hopefully) having babies some day I think I'm gonna get a coil.
    [/quote]

What's a coil?
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2010

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=687.msg10221#msg10221 date=1288974351]
    What's a coil?
    [/quote]

Ops.. Sorry, i think i used a wrong word. That's what the online dictionary said but...

This is what i ment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrauterine_device

(Dictionary says "a coil: Common name for any intra-uterine contraceptive device (Abbreviation: IUD)-the first IUDs were coil-shaped.&quot

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=687.msg10225#msg10225 date=1288975220]
    Ops.. Sorry, i think i used a wrong word. That's what the online dictionary said but...

This is what i ment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrauterine_device

(Dictionary says "a coil: Common name for any intra-uterine contraceptive device (Abbreviation: IUD)-the first IUDs were coil-shaped.&quot
    [/quote]

Ohhh...

See, I'm grossed out by the idea of putting something up there and leaving it for so long. I guess it works for some, though.

Mostly art.

Oct 2010

I think I've got used to the idea since i've known so many women who have done that and been pleased about not needing to worry about taking pills, changing rings etc. But I've heard it's better not to have it before you've given birth babies. For some reson. Can't remember why, though.

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

[/quote]

They're perfectly natural - many birth control hormones are obtained from plants like yams and a type of pea (can't recall which species off the top of my head). Women have been using one form of hormonal birth control or another for thousands of years.

Until I get my hysterectomy, I'm staying on some form of hormonal birth control because I can't stand the wide array of completely hideous symptoms that the PCOS causes (and they have the added bonus of no baby making). I change pills up every couple of years because they stop being as effective. The Lo-Ovral was good to me for almost 10 years, but the hair loss in year 8 or 9 or so kind of put an end to that beautiful relationship. I'm like, yeah, I'm going to break out, have sore boobs, horrible cramps, bleed erratically and with no rhyme or reason... but I won't be bald.

Right now I'm on a low-dosage partial-month pill that uses strictly progesterone. It controls some of the symptoms like breaking out, boob pain, and for the first couple of months it controlled the erratic bleeding - but I'm 9 months in and my cycles are getting weird again, so I may need to up the dosage.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Wiccan High Priestess

I'm still trying to talk my dr into a tubaligation but since I'm only 32 they are hesitant. They know I can't take BC so that's why Hubby had the vasectomy but his last sperm check a couple months ago showed small amounts of sperm and the urologist is concerned that it could be growing back (rare but does happen).

I'm compleatly and utterly DONE having children. I hope the Dr's agree!

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=687.msg10181#msg10181 date=1288969746]
    But i wish that would be an option, because it sucks to take a pill everyday. (of course I could take a two-years-lasting progesterone capsule to my arm.... but I don't like the idea. )
    [/quote]

I have implanon...the three year stick in my arm. I love it.

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=687.msg10229#msg10229 date=1288976071]
    I think I've got used to the idea since i've known so many women who have done that and been pleased about not needing to worry about taking pills, changing rings etc. But I've heard it's better not to have it before you've given birth babies. For some reson. Can't remember why, though.
    [/quote]

It has to do with a higher rate of expulsion due to the shape and tone of uterine muscle. Baby stretches all that out, so it stays in there better.

(for people that don't want hormonal BC, you can get a copper IUD)

[/quote]

So...when are you going to pop that baby out and start nursing for five years? After all, thats "natural". :P

“You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Every woman in my family who takes birth control needs to compliment it with anti-GO CRAZY pills, regardless of brand. So I've basically vowed to never try them. That besides, no matter how I look at it, they aren't natural.
    [/quote]
    My friend has the same problem. She had to take anti depressants with her bc pills. So she thought the nuvaring would be better since it's a lower dose of hormones. She's just having the hardest time with contraception. She gets alot of constant bleeding that just never really stops. She gets her period. Then she sorta mimics me then right after me...

Oddly with my heart and Diabetes I pretty much can't take any bc.
    Satan is my spirit animal