Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women health issues (The public version)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women health issues (The public version)

I think I've got used to the idea since i've known so many women who have done that and been pleased about not needing to worry about taking pills, changing rings etc. But I've heard it's better not to have it before you've given birth babies. For some reson. Can't remember why, though.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=687.msg10215#msg10215 date=1288973930]
      That besides, no matter how I look at it, they aren't natural.
      [/quote]

They're perfectly natural - many birth control hormones are obtained from plants like yams and a type of pea (can't recall which species off the top of my head). Women have been using one form of hormonal birth control or another for thousands of years.

Until I get my hysterectomy, I'm staying on some form of hormonal birth control because I can't stand the wide array of completely hideous symptoms that the PCOS causes (and they have the added bonus of no baby making). I change pills up every couple of years because they stop being as effective. The Lo-Ovral was good to me for almost 10 years, but the hair loss in year 8 or 9 or so kind of put an end to that beautiful relationship. I'm like, yeah, I'm going to break out, have sore boobs, horrible cramps, bleed erratically and with no rhyme or reason... but I won't be bald.

Right now I'm on a low-dosage partial-month pill that uses strictly progesterone. It controls some of the symptoms like breaking out, boob pain, and for the first couple of months it controlled the erratic bleeding - but I'm 9 months in and my cycles are getting weird again, so I may need to up the dosage.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'm still trying to talk my dr into a tubaligation but since I'm only 32 they are hesitant. They know I can't take BC so that's why Hubby had the vasectomy but his last sperm check a couple months ago showed small amounts of sperm and the urologist is concerned that it could be growing back (rare but does happen).

I'm compleatly and utterly DONE having children. I hope the Dr's agree!

Comment

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=687.msg10181#msg10181 date=1288969746]
          But i wish that would be an option, because it sucks to take a pill everyday. (of course I could take a two-years-lasting progesterone capsule to my arm.... but I don't like the idea. )
          [/quote]

I have implanon...the three year stick in my arm. I love it.

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=687.msg10229#msg10229 date=1288976071]
          I think I've got used to the idea since i've known so many women who have done that and been pleased about not needing to worry about taking pills, changing rings etc. But I've heard it's better not to have it before you've given birth babies. For some reson. Can't remember why, though.
          [/quote]

It has to do with a higher rate of expulsion due to the shape and tone of uterine muscle. Baby stretches all that out, so it stays in there better.

(for people that don't want hormonal BC, you can get a copper IUD)

That besides, no matter how I look at it, they aren't natural.
          [/quote]

So...when are you going to pop that baby out and start nursing for five years? After all, thats "natural". :P

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Every woman in my family who takes birth control needs to compliment it with anti-GO CRAZY pills, regardless of brand. So I've basically vowed to never try them. That besides, no matter how I look at it, they aren't natural.
            [/quote]
            My friend has the same problem. She had to take anti depressants with her bc pills. So she thought the nuvaring would be better since it's a lower dose of hormones. She's just having the hardest time with contraception. She gets alot of constant bleeding that just never really stops. She gets her period. Then she sorta mimics me then right after me...

Oddly with my heart and Diabetes I pretty much can't take any bc.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Hmm this thread makes me want to ask something... I was on a combi pill, getting horrible headaches. Switched to a mini pill and, off the top of my head, that may have coincided with becoming depressed...? Hmm...So if depression is a possible side effect of BC, is it more likely with combined or mini?

Either way the case for MrK getting the snip just gets stronger and stronger!
              You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=687.msg10346#msg10346 date=1288995198]
                Hmm this thread makes me want to ask something... I was on a combi pill, getting horrible headaches. Switched to a mini pill and, off the top of my head, that may have coincided with becoming depressed...? Hmm...So if depression is a possible side effect of BC, is it more likely with combined or mini?

Either way the case for MrK getting the snip just gets stronger and stronger!
                [/quote]
                Younger girls are known to have the side effect of depression when taking a strong progesterone birth control.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Medusa, I had NuvaRing for a bit(before I discovered I shouldn't have hormonal birth control) and I really liked it. I seemed to have a slightly higher chance of yeast infections, but I think that was as much a combination of having something in there, and the awful synthetic material my underwear used to be made of.

Currently using a copper IUD. Yes, it kinda hurts to get it in there, but it's been super easy, and no problems other then a bit of spotting for the first few months.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

That's interesting, thanks Medusa
                    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=687.msg10291#msg10291 date=1288983407]
                      I have implanon...the three year stick in my arm. I love it.
                      [/quote]
                      "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

i heart my IUD
                        "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

I used to have a thread about this before, but does anyone here have endometriosis? If so, has anyone had a laparoscopy?

I think I might have to get one. I've tried all sorts of different pills but I keep getting cramps and it just gets worse after I've been on a pill for a while. Like, it will start to be better for a while but then it just gets bad again. And not being on the pill (or hormonal birth control) is NOT an option, because the times I've tried that...well I think the first time when I went off really contributed to my current situation, and I had a gap a couple of months ago because I couldn't get a gyno appointment for a new perscription until after I'd started my cycle....both times were PURE HELL with cramps, and I had my period literally half the time (usually a full week of bleeding, on a 21 day cycle...yep...)

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=687.msg10227#msg10227 date=1288975627]
                            Ohhh...

See, I'm grossed out by the idea of putting something up there and leaving it for so long. I guess it works for some, though.
                            [/quote]

The very concept of birth control makes me a little nauseous anyway.

ETA: I mean the pill and medicines/items that alter a woman's cycle. Not things like condoms and diaphragms.

Comment

[/quote]
                              Im too scared to get the implant, plus, my cycle was all over the place before i started taking microgynon, so i think i'd have to take the pill as well as have the implant so it just seems abit moot to have something stuck in my arm when im protected with the pill.
                              As for being the worst one for side effects, i didnt have any at first, ive been on it for 5 years, i am starting ot get headaches and feeling crap but i dont know if thats die to circumstance or to the pill. Anyhow, i like being on this pill cause my sisters on it too, so when if either of us runs out before we can get to the doctors we just steal a months pack from eachother.

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=687.msg10907#msg10907 date=1289245653]
                                The very concept of birth control makes me a little nauseous anyway.

ETA: I mean the pill and medicines/items that alter a woman's cycle. Not things like condoms and diaphragms.
                                [/quote]

At least you don't -have- to alter your cycle. Mine's so messed up on its own

I hate my body a lot sometimes. Because it clearly hates me.

Comment

Working...
                                X