Decline of Manners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decline of Manners

I don't know if this has been in decline or whether I notice it more the older I get...but the rudeness and impatience of people is really getting to me. I notice it more when out in public (ignoring virtual issues). The things I notice that get my goat...

- People pushing to get on the train before people get off
    - Elderly and people with children being forced to stand because young and virile people are in the priority seating
    - People cutting you off or nearly pushing you over to rush past you all because they cant wait a single second to move
    - People just not bothering to look where they are going, ram into you and then act as if it is your fault
    - Screaming obscenities at people who are just walking past

That kinda stuff.
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Re: Decline of Manners

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
    authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
    of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
    contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
    at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Comment

I find the adults are just as bad as the children....its probably where the children learn the behaviour from :/
      There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

William Wordsworth

Comment

Can we include people that do not wait for people to exit the elevator before trying to crowd on in? That really pisses me off too. Or sitting in front of a hospital and honking a horn because you want the person you are waiting for to come outside...Or can we also add, spitting sunflower seed husks onto the FLOOR and leaving them there for someone else to clean up.Walking around on a cell phone, speaking louder than you would to a person next to you, and having no care or censure for what you are saying.Talking to someone while also on a cell phone, and not waiting until you are done your call, or telling someone that you will call them back, seriously what did these people do with themselves before the advent of the cell phone?Using a public courtesy phone to have a personal conversation instead of letting the person who needs to call dfor a ride because they arrived on an ambulance, and are stuck, without shoes even.Can I also add that if you are screaming your conversation is no longer "private" it is public, and if someone says something to you, do not be offended, because you are the offensive one...
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I think I must be really, really lucky where I live....

A while back, I was in the local library about to leave when a young lad (covered in tattoos, muscles in his spit ) pushed past and I thought 'Well, he's probably in a hurry and doesn't want to get stuck behind me.'
          So you can imagine my surprise when he held the door open, gave a big smile and said, 'There you are, love. Take your time.'

If you can imagine the Valleys accent so much the better....
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            A while back, I was in the local library about to leave when a young lad (covered in tattoos, muscles in his spit ) pushed past and I thought 'Well, he's probably in a hurry and doesn't want to get stuck behind me.'
            So you can imagine my surprise when he held the door open, gave a big smile and said, 'There you are, love. Take your time.'
            I love stories like this. I'm big into the alt-image, I've piercings and tattoos and three very unnatural colours for hair. I get a lot of really dirty looks and sometimes even nasty comments about it. People make assumptions about appearances, and that's something you come to accept. These kinds of stories help to break stereotypes though.

My thing lately is people are too scared/rude/what-have-you to say "excuse me" so instead they just sort've inch into your personal space, or push you/your stuff out of the way, or glare until you move. Even if you have your back turned to them or are otherwise unaware of their presence/desires. This happens a lot in stores and is often coupled with their irritation that you stopped to look at something, especially when it's in the general vicinity of something they want to look at.
            My Tumblr
            My Webcomic
            My Twitter

Comment

Mostly these days, the behavior that irks me the most are those who threaten violence over nothing and those who feel like the world owes them something because of their narcissism.

Thankfully, those people are far and few in between when compared to the hundreds of decent, considerate people.

Comment

Not holding the door open for the person behind you, or saying thank you when some holds the door for you...

children who interrupt their parents talking, "mom! mom! mom!" and absolutely won't wait.

people bringing really little kids to more upscale restaurants... 1: the kids are often annoyingly out of control 2: the parent often shout at them to calm them down, so a nuisances turns into a real bother, real quickly.

Not saying please and thank you.

Not taking at least a moment or two to consider what your elders are saying to you.. they do have the advantage of experience, even if they aren't up to date on the latest iphone.

Wearing your pants around your ankles. I don't care if it's a stereotype, its just plain not polite to show off your undies.

And all of the listed above. Yeah, I notice these things as I get older. But then I too have to wonder is it really getting worse or just that I notice more?
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

It's parents at fault. I don't know WHAT the hell the deal is, but a few years back, I had a friend who literally said, point blank, that she isn't teaching her kids to say please and thank you. "Tone of voice is what matters, nothing else".

And her daughter had just barked at the guy behind the counter, "Give me another cup!" You could almost hear the "a-hole" tacked onto the end of it in her all-important "tone of voice". I barked back at her, "May I PLEASE have another cup, Sir?"

The daughter looked properly chagrined and said, quite politely, "May I please have another cup, Sir?" The guy behind the counter gave her the BIGGEST smile and said, "It would be my pleasure, Ma'am!" It was a lovely exchange the second time and left the 13 year old girl beaming.

And then mom walks up and says all that about "I'm not teaching them to say please and thank you, blah blah." And the interesting thing is that the little lady's face fell and she looked upset again.

Why in the high holy heck would you teach your kids NOT to say please and thank you?? OMG! I was just aghast. And mom was always complaining about how rude and inappropriate her kids were.... ya think?? Who taught them to be that way?

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post
                    It's parents at fault. I don't know WHAT the hell the deal is, but a few years back, I had a friend who literally said, point blank, that she isn't teaching her kids to say please and thank you. "Tone of voice is what matters, nothing else".

And her daughter had just barked at the guy behind the counter, "Give me another cup!" You could almost hear the "a-hole" tacked onto the end of it in her all-important "tone of voice". I barked back at her, "May I PLEASE have another cup, Sir?"

The daughter looked properly chagrined and said, quite politely, "May I please have another cup, Sir?" The guy behind the counter gave her the BIGGEST smile and said, "It would be my pleasure, Ma'am!" It was a lovely exchange the second time and left the 13 year old girl beaming.

And then mom walks up and says all that about "I'm not teaching them to say please and thank you, blah blah." And the interesting thing is that the little lady's face fell and she looked upset again.

Why in the high holy heck would you teach your kids NOT to say please and thank you?? OMG! I was just aghast. And mom was always complaining about how rude and inappropriate her kids were.... ya think?? Who taught them to be that way?
                    I'm going to have to agree with parents being at fault for much of this, but I also have to blame today's excepted social standards. Many people feel it is normal for us to have little social interaction in the first person and spend too much time isolated(read "contact by social media only")from the people in their community. I feel when (And I know things have changed in this world since I was young)I was growing up we were tought things like holding open doors, and helping others. We played with our friends face to face, rode our bikes, and followed a fairly universal set of rules set by our parents. There were penalties if you failed to adhere to these rules, anything from grounding to corporal(or at least the threat of it)punishment could be expected. I'm not saying one should beat their kids or anything like that, but things seamed to start to change when any type of physical punishment started to become unexceptionable.
                    We as parents are spending far to much time working and doing our own thing away from our children that when we are together we don't want to be the bad guy. So what we do instead of is to compensate for this by giving into their every whim.
                    Our kids where known at school as the Amish kids(this became a point of pride) because they didn't have every new electronic gismo on the market, or a TV in their bedroom, or even cable TV. We played card and board games with them as well as read books to them. They still love to read and the game play became something they still do with their friends to this day. They developed strong friendships in school and in our neighborhood that are still intact. We tought them to respect and to help others. We tried not to pass on any type of bigotry towards others and worked at changing if we found it in our self's.
                    Not surprisingly they are very involved in actives that help others such as fund raising, becoming a nurse, and even going to third world country's to help others there. I feel this has all stemmed from being tought to respect others as children and being polite to everyone they came in contact with. No we are not perfect, but I do enjoy seeing the smile on peoples faces when one of us steps aside to hold a door or say"Go ahead of me" to someone with less items in line at a store.
                    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Few things get on my nerves more than people who treat retail workers like dirt. I was once in line at the pharmacy and a man was yelling at the woman behind the counter because they didn't have all of his medications available right away. I understand that that would be annoying, but some people act as if workers can twitch their noses and make their every wish come true. If he had gone on much longer I was prepared to tell him to STFU.
                      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                      -Erik Erikson

Comment

I have noticed it a lot more as I get older as well; I’m not even that old but even my own generation is severely lacking in common courtesies. I have a number of theories as to whey this is but I have to wonder how much of it is just the human brain. We have a survival instinct to take note of and remember the bad things in the subconscious hope of avoiding it in the future, so unless something is really good/surprising we tend to not notice or forget it… so how much is actually the degradation of morals in today’s society and how much of it is the human mind noticing the bad that has always been there?

Some of my own annoyances: people who walk out in front of my car making me slam on the breaks… I don’t care if you have the right of way my car vs. your body = my car wins! I need a certain amount of time to stop safely and I was taught to look both ways before I cross the street, which is also why I stop for everyone I actually see getting ready to cross. Even worse people who do that while pushing a stroller. If you don’t care for your own life then fine but don’t take the kid with you.
                        I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
                        because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
                        I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
                        for a might have-been has never been,
                        but a has was once an are.

-Milton Berle-

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post

....EPIC FAIL. I dont see what the point is of not teaching your kids to say please and thank you for basic social etiquette o.O

William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                            Few things get on my nerves more than people who treat retail workers like dirt.
                            My manager got yelled at the other day about our hours and "Why aren't you open, even though the door is open." While she was cleaning up obscene amounts of puke from our front entrance. Someone had vomited all over the front entrance and the customer couldn't be bothered to stop and think "Maybe this poor lady is having a rough enough morning without me lecturing her that I need my tea fifteen minutes earlier than the store opens."
                            My Tumblr
                            My Webcomic
                            My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by wisp View Post
                              My manager got yelled at the other day about our hours and "Why aren't you open, even though the door is open." While she was cleaning up obscene amounts of puke from our front entrance. Someone had vomited all over the front entrance and the customer couldn't be bothered to stop and think "Maybe this poor lady is having a rough enough morning without me lecturing her that I need my tea fifteen minutes earlier than the store opens."
                              Wow. Seriously what is wrong with people? Are they so self involved that they cannot look outside themselves?

William Wordsworth

Comment

Working...
                              X