New to Paganism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Paganism

Hey guys. I've just been introduced to Paganism about 2 nights ago.

I'm kinda lost at how to start practicing and following Paganism.

I've been through the Gods and Goddesses. The two that stick out the most to me are Mars and Venus. They jumped at me. But from this point forth I don't know where to go.

I'm not quite sure what I'm suppose to do so any advice or guidance is much appreciated.

Re: New to Paganism

Hey! Very cool that you're starting a spiritual quest!

I strongly encourage everyone to do lots of research on paganism, and to try as many things out as your spirit tells you. If Mars and Venus stick out to you then do some research about their corresponding mythology (the Greek equivalent to Mars and Venus is Ares and Aphrodite, who are brother and sister and a very powerful duo, might I add). Also, just because you're researching Paganism doesn't mean that you have to believe in any certain gods, or follow any certain path either. If you so desire then that's fine, but first I would consider trying on lots of different ideas to see which look the best on you.

Only you can find what path you belong on, fellow traveler, but there are a lot of incredibly intelligent people on PaganForums who come from all sorts of spiritual backgrounds who can help you with research, ideas, facts, histories, and basically anything else you need to know.

In short, you came to the right place.

So what was it about Mars and Venus that stuck out to you the most? Was it their stories, what they represented, do you actually believe that they exist as GODS, or are they simply symbols to represent something larger... etc. Ask yourself some probing questions!
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

It was weird. I know about Ares and Aphrodite but they seemed boring and literally didn't jump at me. Mars and Venus just jumped right off the screen and it dawned on me that I should focus on them. At the time I didn't think anything of it but now it seems weird that it happened but I haven't even stopped to think why it's weird.

I feel like this is going to be an amazing adventure.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Welcome to the forums. I would suggest taking some time to read through the forum's threads that already exist, there are a lot of helpful tidbits in here worth knowing and it provides a good jumping board to start you off.

Comment

Welcome! To the forums and to your journey! As suggested, research does wonders. It's a big world out there, expose yourself to as many options as possible, even if in the end you come back to your original impulse, you'll be all the richer for the knowledge you've gained.
          My Tumblr
          My Webcomic
          My Twitter

Comment

Hey, I'm new also, welcome! I started my spiritual journey very young (before HS) and was open to everything, became Christian 8 years ago, always dabbled in other religions, though, never feeling at home. That is until recently when I decided to finally "choose" one by choosing aspects of many (eclectic wicca). You will love your journey and how it pans out. I will always be on mine! <3

Comment

Welcome, welcome one and all

Comment

Originally posted by Havex View Post
                It was weird. I know about Ares and Aphrodite but they seemed boring and literally didn't jump at me. Mars and Venus just jumped right off the screen and it dawned on me that I should focus on them. At the time I didn't think anything of it but now it seems weird that it happened but I haven't even stopped to think why it's weird.

I feel like this is going to be an amazing adventure.

Thanks for your help.
                Intuition for the win! Such things are the kinds of things you should listen to.

Well since everyone has given the wonderful advice to research, research, research I’m going to mix it up a bit by giving some more literal advice…

Build an altar. Altars are possibly the one thing that most religions and the vast majority of pagans have in common. It can serve any number of purposes from a work place, a place to pray, a place to leave gifts and so on. My favorite reason is that an altar is a physical reminder of the path you are on. Should you ever feel lost or just having a bad day, when you see that altar you are reminded of your path and will often feel rejuvenated in your desire to do the above research. Also the act of building the altar is a kind of physical meditation and affirmation of what you are about to embark on.

Altars come in many different forms and you can find a number of different descriptions and examples on line. You don’t even have to put Mars or Venus on it just yet (until, when and if, you feel conferrable doing so).

Just my 2 cents on where to start J

Oh! And ask lots of questions! Never be afraid to ask a question.
                I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
                because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
                I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
                for a might have-been has never been,
                but a has was once an are.

-Milton Berle-

Comment

Thank you all for the warm reception.

I've been told research everything I can.

I figure this would be pretty easy to find but is there anything in particular that I should have on my altar? Besides the most basic things.

Comment

That would really depend on what flavor of paganism you’re looking into at the moment. Altars are as unique as the person building them (there is a sticky thread around here where some people have shared pictures of their altars). Off the top of my head I can recommend, and this is my own opinion, that at least a candle of some sort, to light while praying/meditating and possibly a representation of each of the four elements. Anything that you find sacred or meaningful to you and your current path is customary for a home altar. If you have a particular type of paganism your looking into I’m sure we can get a bit more specific in our recommendations and the symbolism behind them. The most important thing to remember is to be creative and make it yours.

-Milton Berle-

Comment

I've read about the different aspects of Paganism and Neopaganism is the one my friend follows and the one that makes the most sense to me.

I think my altar will revolve around nature and the Earth more than anything.

Thank you.

Comment

Nature and Earth... very broad but also quite deep... in that case I would recommend that you place representations of the four elements (Fire, Water, Air, and Earth) as well as something for animal and plant life to start. but again keep it yours and be creative. and by all means share! we would love to see what you come up with. ^.^

-Milton Berle-

Comment

The two that stick out the most to me are Mars and Venus. They jumped at me. But from this point forth I don't know where to go.
                          My advice is to first hot-foot it to your local library and get out some Roman mythology books. Yes, you can research on the net and pagan books, but there's a lot of rubbish out there and if you stick to the mythology books you ought to get a good grounding on your deities. Secondly, have a look at astrology. Your local library can help you there as well.

Comment

Shawn Cameron:
                            We actually decided to do all the elements and Nature for our outside altar we are planning to make.

My personal altar is gonna be based more around water and earth.
                            Thank you

QuercusRober:
                            I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you so much. I'll go there as soon as possible.
                            Last edited by Havex; 22 Apr 2013, 08:36.

Comment

I've actually decided on the materials I want to use for it.

My roommate and I have decided on an outside altar as well.

Thank you.
                              You don't have to run off so soon. Come back and post a picture on the altar thread! If you found some good books you can suggest them on a thread too!

If I were more savvy with how the forum works and where everything is and how to link it all, then I'd give you links to the threads that I've just mentioned, but I know that if you do some digging around you'll find 'em.

Not trying to be pushy, it just seemed like you were rushing off and I wanted to let ya know that you're perfectly welcome to stay.
                              No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Working...
                              X